Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Holy gently caress, I think Charlie might kill someone if he doesn't get through... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Guys Night! My expectations couldn't be lower.

Elijah: 6/10 Dang does the crowd love him. No big surprise there. The crowd's slow clap was distracting, not that it's his fault. The whole "low-key heartthrob" thing isn't going to continue having any impact if he doesn't bring some energy occasionally. At the end of the song, I'd already forgetten the beginning. Randy's right that it didn't build at all. It doesn't matter. He's FBI 2013 and the producers know it. It's why he's on first.
Cortez: 8/10 The background singer was mixed WAY too high. He's a good-looking dude and this was a very smart choice and a great performance. The vocal wasn't lacking but it wasn't spectacular either. He's safe, I feel. Nicki's styling diss wasn't off-the-mark entirely but unnecessary. Randy and Mariah fail to notice that the song in fact was pitched down at least a whole step.
Charlie: 2/10 Rule #1 of Obscure Songs on Idol: Don't loving do it! Rule #2: If you're going to do it anyway, make sure it's a brilliant song, full-stop. I admire his gumption, but no one should go on Idol to challenge the musical palates of a mainstream audience like the one watching this show. Regardless, Idol rule #1 is Sing Well and he sadly broke that rule. The judges poo poo all over him, as they must. I feel for the guy, and knowing what he was going for breaks my heart, but it just wasn't good. Regardless of the outcome of his Idol journey, I hope he gets the help that he clearly needs. I feel gross after witnessing that. At least it's still better than the X Factor.
Nick: 5/10 Quiet voice does not suit Nick at all. He played with the vocal melody far too much and the result was indulgent and frankly boring. Again, not terrible but just not good enough. I like Nick and I wouldn't mind giving him another chance to get out of his comfort zone and really wow me, but I'm doubting that's where things are headed. Things have really taken a turn tonight.
Burnell: 9/10 A bit Broadway but mostly awesome. After the last two singers this was a cool glass of water in a desert of discomfort. Smooth, spot-on, and brimming with potential for the rest of the season. Judges don't say poo poo, and that's fine. He's almost certainly a lock for the top 10.
Paul: 8/10 It was difficult to hear him for much of this vocal since he was mixed so low, but what I heard I liked well enough. He's got a good look but I'm doubting this song choice quite a bit. It was solid but it lacked in storytelling and connection. I agree with Randy that he may have came off as trying too hard but that might just be his comfort zone. He's probably safe.
Lazaro: 7/10 It's definitely time to retire "Feelin' Good" from the reality show competition circuit. My fatigue for this song is certainly coloring my opinion, and AGAIN for me it was just fine. Nothing special, and the first 60 seconds were a little boring. He's got more than enough momentum to make it through and I love his story and the judges are pimping him hard so we'll see him next week. I'm really just ready to be done with Idol this week, I think.
Curtis: 10/10 This was technically accomplished but honestly it came off as schtick, but if that's really just him then bravo. He's not as good as Joshua Ledet last season but he's also a lot more comfortable in his skin. He's obviously a mortal lock for the top 10, probably further. The judges push his gimmick hard. On any season he'd be a standout but in this crop of men he's headed straight to the top 6 and I can't say he doesn't deserve it.
Devin: 10/10 Whoops! Curtis just got schooled. Keith doesn't understand how building drama works. I normally don't love a bilingual gimmick but the guy owns it and I'm enchanted. This was just plain amazing. Far and away the best of the night. I feel bad for the geek that has to follow him. Absolutely in the top 10.
Vincent: 8/10 Pacing problems in the first part of the song took me out of it and his pitch was really sloppy... and then he hit the high note and he found his comfort and slayed the ending. He was probably thinking about that note until he sang it, and he needs to get out of his head in the future if he's going to stick around. Probably safe and the judges knew they were out of time so they said nothing of value. Just like always!

The last 3 are locks, and I'd give the last two spots to Cortez and Burnell. Lazaro and Elijah will probably make it on momentum and looks respectively so i'm worried for them. Paul could certainly make it through and I won't be terribly upset but it's curtains for Charlie and Nick, which isn't unfair after tonight.

I hate that the results show is 90 minutes. See you tomorrow!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 7, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My random opinions on seeing all of those guys for the first time tonight:

- The Charlie thing made me feel really loving disgusting, though clearly the guy was good at not letting it out because even THEY aren't dumb enough to put someone that apparently volatile in this environment.

- Nick Boddington looks like a teenage girl with cancer.

- Burnell was alright but all I could think about was how hard he was trying to achieve that look.

- Lazaro can't enunciate for poo poo. Yes, I know he has a stutter, but I can't take people mumbling through songs.

- Devin loving owned.

- Curtis is an excellent singer who makes everything he sings worse by treating it like he's at Sunday service. There were parts where I wasn't quite sure if I was watching Idol or a Michael Winslow standup. Why do people constantly do this poo poo? I want to hear you use your incredible gift to sing, not hear you make a bunch of freaky sounds.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Watching the first results show live. Anyone else? No? Okay cool.

Paul's in! This whole "walking them in from the back" thing is incredibly awkward.

So wait... he's singing because he's in the top 10? :psyduck: Either way this is pretty terrible.

Burnell made it! Awesome. I guess all of his performances are going to be like this, huh.

Curtis is in! No big surprise, and he deserves it. He sings aight, no surprises.

Devin, my favorite male contestant this season, is in as he should be. He's in superior voice compared to the other top 10ers so far.

I just realized we're only keeping one among Cortez, Lazaro, and Vincent. That's a shame. Hopefully it's Vincent.

And of course it's Lazaro. He's barking orders at Ray Chew on live television and it's amazing. I'd say his singing was off but it's always been like this since he crushed his audition.

So if these performances are any indication, only Devin has a shot at winning this thing among the men.

If Kree, Candice, Amber and Angie are not in the top 10, I'm going to be real upset.

Janelle makes it. That's not a great sign, but I would have given her the 5th spot if I'm being honest. She's in fine voice.

Candice is in. 1 down, 3 to go. Of course she sounds incredible, that's sort of her whole thing.

Angie's in the top 10, obviously. She's pretty shaky on this vocal. I'll chalk that up to overwhelming nerves.

Amber makes it which leaves only one correct name yet to be revealed. Amber further solidifies that a woman will win this season or something is horribly awry.

All is right with the world as Kree is announced as the final finalist. And she kills it.

Seacrest has to rush the announcement that the first runners-up from the guys and the girls are having a singoff next week to make this a top 11. Woof. See you then!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 8, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I went back and watched some hollywood week episodes to get familiar with the finalists and jesus loving christ that original song performance by Angie Miller was unreal.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Obeast posted:

Holy gently caress, I think Charlie might kill someone if he doesn't get through... :ohdear:

My boyfriend and I voted him "most likely to bring a gun to the studio and go postal". I honestly feel bad for the kid and I'm kinda pissed at the judges. It was obvious from his first audition, and just became more obvious as the show went on, he's the weird kid that always got bullied and doesn't have a single drop of self-esteem. They didn't need to tear him apart as bad as they did. They should have pulled back a bit the moment they saw him cracking and falling apart.

As much as I hate Zoanette I'm irritated for how they went after her too. Zoanette has been awful since her first audition and the only reason they put her through was so she could be wacky on TV. Now that we are down to brass tacks they cut her off at the knees after always praising her bad performances, even though she's been consistent the whole time.

So, no real shocks on who made the final 10. I'm happy with who made it. The only person I'm 'meh' over is the country girl they brought out first. I can't even remember her name. I'm really happy Angie, Amber, Candice and Kree got through and I'm happy for the guys as well. Especially Lazaro. He wont win, but I'm glad he's getting to stay around awhile. I laughed when Randy said, "It's the girls season to lose and I haven't said that in awhile". You've said that every year for the last 6 seasons, dude. I will say that a girl has the best shot of winning than they've had in awhile though.

I'm glad they are all going to be performing together now and aren't separated by gender. I don't know what it is, but I'm always more interested in hearing the guy singers. My boyfriend teases me that it's because I'm a straight female so of course I like the guys better but I don't believe that. I don't find any of the guys attractive on this show and I'm too old for Fantasy Boyfriend. Maybe the guys sing more varied songs than the girls do? I dunno, does that make sense?

I will admit though, every time Keith Urban says "baby", it does something funny to my girlie parts.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 9, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Live shows resume in 10 minutes, and it's not like there's anything else on. Be here or be somewhere else! (You'll be somewhere else.)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Nicki is just such a professional.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Angie Miller is good y'all

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Ahahaha they didn't play Taylor Hicks's winning announcement with all the others. :allears: Here we go Top 10, here we go *clap*clap*

Nicki's late and Curtis is wearing leftover upholstery from the 60s.

Curtis: 5/10 Man this dude is so corny. Big sour note at the bridge. Something felt off tonight with Curtis. Maybe nerves? Anyway his pacing and pitch were hit-and-miss for sure. Randy's right for once - he's quickly becoming one-note and boring.

Janelle: 6/10 Tone was clear as a bell but her mic control still needs a lot of work. Completely botched her big note at the end too. Nicki might be shitwrecked and it's great. Janelle's nervous as hell but the crowd's behind her. Mariah is completely useless and all about herself, still.

Devin: 7/10 Terrible song choice, even worse arrangement. Other than a squeak on the final falsetto note this was well sung, but it was dull as dishwater. The crowd isn't even behind him when Keith isn't sure that he'll be here next week. Ouch. This performance ep is straight putting me to sleep and we aren't even halfway through.

Angie: 9/10 Took a huge risk trying to fill Kelly's shoes, and good lord did it pay off. This girl is just unstoppably talented. I don't love the song but she absolutely killed it. I'm glad Jimmy called her out on her pageant smile, but on the other hand I suspect that she's just that genuine and enthusiastic.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Angie Miller is good y'all
Correct.

Paul: 6/10 He starts off in quiet voice, which doesn't suit him at all as he's dropping notes left and right. I'm confused as it sounds like he's not high enough in the mix, but I guess he's just not singing out? Another bad song, another lovely arrangement, another snoozer. I can't believe Scotty McCreery can sing anything better than anyone, but here we are.

Candice: 10+++/10 Full disclosure: the Jordin Sparks cover is probably my favorite Idol performance of all time so my expectations could not have been higher. She absolutely demolished them. How she doesn't win the season is beyond me. Easily one of the best vocals this show's ever had. She is a force of nature and I feel bad for whomever has to follow that.

Lazaro: 4/10 He was completely swallowed up by the sound mix. The final note was drab and fell flat. Another boring song choice. Keith asks the guy with the stuttering problem to explain himself as the text on the screen reminds us that it's live. Mariah pushes the sympathy vote, as she must. I am compelled to yawn.

Kree: 10/10 Not a note out of tune and sold the drama like a million bucks. Season 12's resident storyteller continues her flawless run. Nicki talks about waffles for about an hour for some reason. I love you, Nicki. Mariah's wedding ring continues to be distractingly enormous.

Burnell: 8.5/10 Smooth and effortless. No bum notes, the performance was perfectly restrained, and in the process makes the other guys looks like chumps. I didn't realize how good-looking a guy he was until the Idol style team took his dumbass hats and glasses away. Good move. Another good move was anchoring himself to the mic stand. Something's on fire in the Idoldome as thick smoke is making the video look like poo poo during the judge feedback. Excellent papal election joke Seacrest! :rolleyes:

Amber: 9/10 She let the song get ahead of her at times, but she sang it beautifully. The wind machine was a bad choice and made for some distracting visual quirks but she totally killed it, surprising no one. Keith continues to be kinda worthless. Also she looked gorgeous and Nicki's style attack was way off-base.

Can we just eliminate half the contestants again and really get this show on the road in earnest? I hate to lose Devin but he was utterly absent tonight and since he doesn't have the sympathy vote (Lazaro), the country vote (Janelle), the god squad (Curits), or the gay vote (Paul) I'm worried about his chances tomorrow night. Honestly any of them could go home besides Devin and it wouldn't be a big loss. Burnell's the revelation of the night and the Top 4 Women remain strong as ever. If any of those 5 go home it will be an absolute shambles.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Welp it's Thursday night and I'm double posting, so it must be results night!

The pre-recorded group number is used to sell a movie instead of Ford or Coke for once.

Kree's mayor showing up was so random. Keys to the city usually only happen to the top three I thought? Oh well, she's destined to go at least that far so I won't complain too hard.

Jon Bon Jovi needs to stop aging because it's making me really depressed and I'm only in my early 30s. This song is real bad.

Oh no, Charlie Askew's back to do an original song. Maybe I'm cynical but I have a hard time believing he was in 6th place. I'm instantly taken aback by the quality of his song and he's absolutely killing it. This is freaking beautiful. Where was this kid a week ago? gently caress the tour, give Curtis or Lazaro's spot to him.

And his bitter arch-rival for a spot on the tour is... Aubrey?!? Okay, now I'm sure this is rigged. She's squeaky and pitchy, rocking her Rihanna-lite self for all it's worth, but she's just here to pick up the stage after Charlie tore it up.

Triple P's back to do another Mumford and Sons cover original song. If you've ever heard PPP sing then you know what this sounded like. He's presented with a plaque for his quadruple platinum single "Home". Thanks, 2012 Summer Olympics!

Candice, Kree, and Angie are your top three, which is absolutely correct. Lazaro's 4th which is not surprising but awful. Amber resumes the real countdown at number 4/5. Janelle's safe in 6th and I'm thinking Devin's toast. Burnell's in 7th! I'll take it. Paul's 8th. This format makes for a quicker countdown, but I'll miss the drama of the Bottom 3. Ryan says "who MIGHT be eliminated", implying a Judges' Save.

Judges' Save confirmed! There's no way they're using it on the first eligible elimination of the season. And that unlucky soul is... Curtis?! Wow. America gets it... right, ignoring Lazaro at 4th. Curtis sings for his life with "I Believe I Can Fly" for the second time in two weeks and this time he absolutely butchers the song. It's honestly terrible. There's no way they're saving him with the quality at the top of the leaderboard. Nicki loses cool points by airing judge drama but at least it's entertaining. Curtis is probably leaving at the right time for him. He peaked before the voting rounds and his live nerves don't serve his instrument well.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm not super surprised that Curtis got the boot. His style of singing can only go for so long before either everyone is sick of it, or he's forced into a theme that he can't do much with. Plus, the girls this year are amazing (especially Angie and Kree), so I wouldn't be super surprised if one of them ended up winning the whole thing.

Also, am I the only one who thought PPP was somewhat uncomfortable getting that triple platinum award for "Home"? I have a feeling he's sick of that song by now (like Christopher said, thanks Summer Olympics! :argh:) and wants to move on from it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The top 3 girls were one billion percent correct. Those three murdered it last night. My god Candice, can she just win right now? I think I watched her performance at least five times last night.

I'm okay with Lazaro in fourth for now. He won my heart with his vulnerable puppy dog thing. I don't want him to win but there is still other cannon fodder for the moment to make keeping him okay to me.

I'm shocked as hell anyone, let alone multiple people, sang a Scotty Mcreary song. He's at the bottom of the idols list to me. (i don't count Taylor Hicks because I consider him an awesome troll and it was worth it just to see how baffled and incredulous Simon was at his win).

I'm honestly shocked Curtis went home because he's the only one in that genera so I figured he'd clean up those votes for a bit while the others were spreading votes between them. And I liked him. It really should have been Devon.

And while Jenelle Harris isn't the sort of music I'd listen too, I think she's adorable as all hell. She takes to the camera really well.

Edit: also, Christopher, I love your write ups. Even if I don't post in the thread I always come back to read them after the show. Hell, sometimes during. I need something to do while Devon performs.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 15, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

Edit: also, Christopher, I love your write ups. Even if I don't post in the thread I always come back to read them after the show. Hell, sometimes during. I need something to do while Devon performs.

Aw, thanks. That's more love than my Idol posts on Tumblr ever got so I'll keep 'em coming.

It's Top 9 time! On Beatles Night! The worst night since Country Night!! And I'm bumping my own thread from page 5 once again :( At least all four judges appear to be in the building. Physically, I mean.

Here's Carly Rae Jepsen to remind me that I'm still too old to watch this show. The pre-show ad blitz has got to be turning viewers off. Then again Idol's never really showed restraint when it comes to in-line ads so whatever.

And here comes an easy win for Charlie Askew because Aubrey Clelland was so bland and he was so awesome... wait, Aubrey wins? Oh, horseshit. A bad start to the show gets even worse as Kree's in the death slot. I have no doubts she will overcome that, but drat do I feel bad for Charlie. He blew Aubrey off the stage before she ever got there. I hate to invoke e/n Rule 0, but get thee to therapy, child!

Kree: 9.5/10 She took some liberties with the phrasing but she can gently caress with the cadence all she wants because her storytelling is just sublime. I gotta say though, I don't see her as a country singer which seems to be the focus of the judging and her goals. Also she had a few noticeable breath control issues that she was able to compensate for. Ryan, I don't believe for a second that anyone bought that Mariah wasn't doing a fakeout. Mimi can sang but she doesn't have a drip of timing.

Burnell: 7.5/10 He's back to looking like a geek and I can't believe he's never heard this song. He's in fine voice but you can tell he's not connecting to the song at all. The backup singers continue to be a bad idea. This wasn't bad at all, and it was technically solid, but he wasn't feeling it and I could tell. Mariah's lips are the same color as her face and it's freaking me out. Perhaps as a direct result, they're testing the other judges as anchors. Keith gets a C from me but Mariah's a D- at best.

Amber: 9/10 I'm pulling a Burnell as I don't recognize this song at all. Her dress is goddamn stunning and she looks amazing as ever. Afro violinist who looks like King Buzzo keeps distracting me. I thought I heard pitch problems in the lower part of the verse but my Beatles superfan wife assured me it was on point. Amber didn't seem happy with the last note, but it was fine. Nicki gets a B- anchor score. Am I crazy or is Seacrest really phoning it in this season? Maybe both?

Lazaro: 3/10 I feel bad for his mom for thinking this is still the biggest show in America. This was an unfortunate performance that reached a lovely crest at the ill-advised key change that completely derailed an already-shaky vocal. Jimmy's click-track training didn't help Lazaro a bit either. Mariah says nothing about the singing, Keith pretends the key change was a good idea, Nicki lets him down easy, and Randy plunges the knife with aplomb and gets an anchor rating of D- for Dick minus, because that was a dick move. The worst part? It all but guarantees he's going to be here next week on the Sympathy Vote Express. Hell I kind of want him to have a shot at redemption after that nonsense.

We come back from commercials and the producers are putting the panel in full spin mode after making Lazaro cry. How uncomfortable. I'll take this moment to give extra props to the Idol drummer because dude is legit amazing.

Candice: 10/10 I may have been risking confirmation bias by typing the 10/10 reflexively before listening to the song, but on the other hand it's freaking Candice Glover. She's looking gorgeous and sounding even better than she looks. I'll say it every week until it doesn't happen but she's practically a lock to win this season. That glory run at the end, my word. Randy and Nicki give good feedback and Mariah and Keith are also there.

Oh good, Bland Paul is up next. My wife forgot about him completely. I suspect she's not alone.

Paul: 5/10 He starts in falsetto for no good reason and is breathy as hell in the verses, and then... completely destroys the last 30 seconds? Well that sure was unexpected. Nicki ignores the back half of the vocal but isn't wrong, really. You can tell that the audience is really looking for a critique to pop for, and it isn't coming because Mariah's too busy going on and on about genres. Keith correctly calls out the falsetto closer for the crap that it was. A big belted glory note would have saved him, but as it is I'm thinking he's donezo as long as Devin wakes up this week.

Angie: 8/10 Weird false start and she's switching gears between opera belting and dropping notes. She can't hide the pageant queen lurking just beneath the surface and she wants this to be so good and it's technically profound but it didn't suit the song at all. Randy rims her, Mariah claims her bombastic overdo was "respectful", Keith can tell Jimmy's ringing in her ears but mentions it passive-aggressively, and Nicki uses an expletive that I can't identify using context clues.

Devin: 7.5/10 Terrible song choice. He MUST go upbeat next week if he's going to stand a chance. He overdid the melisma a bit too often and it didn't make anything more exciting. Again, this is Devin's thing: he sings perfectly well, but he picks snoozefest songs and never takes them anywhere interesting. Keith beats the dead horse joke about his favorite Beatles song being all of them :haw: Nicki gets censored again and I can't figure out what was said, again. Mariah is such a shitfest as a judge and I want her to go away.

I'm really bored so I'm hoping Janelle does Eight Days a Week, Kristy Lee Cook-style. I am disappointed to learn she's doing a ballad I barely recognize.

Janelle: 8.5/10 She sure is skilled at eyebanging the camera, and mostly ignores the audience as a result. Will somebody PLEASE loving teach this girl about mic control? It's driving me insane. That aside, she sang it beautifully and had a clear connection to the material but it was just a little bit boring for me. Also she had trouble keeping pitch on her yodels. This was probably better than I'm giving it credit and she got the pimp slot so she'll be fine.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: Candice, again, but Kree gave her a real run for her money tonight.
TOMORROW'S BOTTOM 3: Devin, Paul, and Amber in a shocker.
SHOULD GO HOME: Lazaro. He was terrible.
WILL GO HOME: I want to say Devin, but it's probably Paul.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Live for results for the last time this season~!

Iovine is spot on with everything he's saying. Make him a judge already so he can interact directly with Nicki and make this the best singing show ever not named "The Voice".

I don't care if Amber's fog segment was faked, it was pretty funny.

This is one dropped mic away from being the most obviously pre-recorded group number ever. The guys sure are selling it though. That or the back half was live, since they botched the final harmony.

Surprise! March 16th is Paul Jolley Day, presumably replacing White Bread Appreciation Day. And he's in the bottom 3 to celebrate.

Casey Abrams has gone full Viking. That or he's playing upright bass for Mastodon. He's sounding pretty great and I forgot that he's a pretty decent player. What can I say? He tore it up.

And here comes the stacked half of the deck, no sexism intended. I don't think the producers could have picked 5 prettier strangers to rep it for the women, and they're all uniquely talented - with that said, they made a strong case for making a girl group out of this, if girl groups become A Thing again anytime soon.

Devin's in the Bottom Three and I'm 2/3 for my prediction.

Guys, please stop making Lazaro talk on live television. I'm proud of him for toughing it out though, and of course he's safe.

BB Chezz is back in the house! I bet nobody else calls her that tonight. I always forget that Ne-Yo sucks at live singing since his melodies are so basic. This song isn't exactly age-appropriate for a 17 year old, is it? Worst of all it's boring and samey.

Kree, Candice, Angie, and Janelle are safe, obviously. Burnell's safe and my predictions are 3 for 3 :smug: Obviously Amber would get saved if she was going home, but she's not. Paul's toast.

Goodbye, Paul. It will not be unanimous. You're singing the same song you've already done and singing it worse than before.

Well that settles it! The winner of season 12 of American Idol will not be a white guy. Good riddance to that vile legacy. Too bad the ratings are so low that nobody's going to know about it. Or care. Oh well, I'll be here!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 22, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
It's Wednesday night, so I moseyed all the way to page 5 to bump this with a shameful triple post. Tonight's Motown night and I am just hoping beyond hope that someone wakes up and does some uptempo stuff because even more than recent seasons it's been strictly ballads (with maybe 2-3 exceptions) and holy hell is it boring. We'll be treated to some group numbers tonight? Well hot drat that's gonna be a thing that happens later and then afterwards we can all remark about just what a thing that it had been.

Production pandemonium! And Mariah's completely wasted and going on and on and she has a loving magic sceptre.

Candice: 8.5/10 The intro had no hook to it at all and the pitch they chose is really generic. Candice's runs are spot-on but the free jazz freakout they've turned this into to start the show? What are they thinking? I liked it but it was pretty weird for Idol. "This was your best performance tonight, baby." Thanks Keith. Mariah keeps staring directly into the active camera and it looks like she's reading off a teleprompter but it's still her inane gibberish. Creepy.

KreNelle: 7/10 Kree's mic was way quieter but I'll blame that on Janelle's shameful mic control. They got about 30 seconds alone before the choir showed up. Janelle whiffed her cue pretty badly at one point and the country affectations were pretty tacked-on. Nicki pretty much nailed it when she said how nice it was of Kree to come help Janelle out. The judges kinda sacrificed Janelle at the altar of Kree, except for Mariah who attributes Janelle's fuckup to Kree.

Lazaro: 4/10 Takes a killer song and turns it into baby food for the first verse, not to mention limiting the range of the song to maybe 4 notes while the chorus does all the heavy lifting and he still went off-pitcn. He'll never win and with that I have nothing left to say about Lazaro, honestly. Nicki Minaj is the greatest thing on television and keeps proving it. Mariah "Me-Too"s her drunk rear end off about Smokey and it's amazing.

Janelle: 7/10 Groan. Another ballad as we get the Supremes by way of mid-90s female alt-pop. The singing was very good but I was bored. She killed it at the end, I won't front. Nicki is spot-on in calling out her lack of connection to the material. She's crying and I almost... ALMOST... feel for her. Definitely a big step down from last week.

Devin: 8.5/10 Welcome back, Devin! Not a note out of place, well-timed falsetto, and his phrasing risks paid huge dividends. Definitely the best of the night so far. Go home, Mariah. You're drunk.

I've got a strong feeling that they're running long.

AngBerDice: 10/10 Oh man did I enjoy the hell out of this. Candice was obviously the MVP but the real surprise here was Angie, who took to stage flirting unexpectedly well. Amber more than held her own and did the best with the dancing. As Mariah said, "That was so pow!" They're definitely rushing things along so here comes...

Burnell: 9/10 Let's get this out of the way: he ended every open "R" sound with a hard "M" sound. It was bizarre. There were some spots where his enunciation got in the way of the pitch but if not for that distraction, this was just about perfect. His distinct take on the performance was damned enchanting.

I just realized our final duet is going to be Lazaro and Devin, if they get time.

Angie: 5/10 This song just wasn't in her range and she overdid it something fierce. Nothing about this felt fun, just calculated. Her pitch was horrible on her belted notes and she seemed like she was counting out time in her head for her stage walks. The judges came down on her pretty hard which was probably a bit of a test of her voting base, but it was all accurate. Even Mariah. Spooky.

Post-judging, Mariah's going on and on, Nicki gets an annoyed look and starts checking her cell on camera and it's delicious. So of course when we come back from commercial they're all pretending to be on their phones.

Amber: 10+/10 Don't look now Candice, but someone just took a strong yank at that crown you've been wearing all season, and she's wearing it like a champion. I have no criticism. One for the highlight reels of Idol's entire run. Nicki wants her to smile again even though the loving song was about crying and she's told her not to smile inappropriately like, last week.

Team Ambien ft/Burnell: 1/10 I guess we had to hear this song since no one did it in Hollywood group week. Lazaro totally missed his cue on a verse and Devin vamped while the live director panicked to cover it up. This was a terrifically awkward living nightmare though I'll give props to Devin for maintaining his poise throughout while Burnell just did his chugga-chugga dances. And then Nicki proceeds to give the greatest Idol judge feedback in history, culminating in a bellowed "GET OFF THE STAGE!" I couldn't stop laughing through the awkward stage banter that followed but on re-watch, yeah it's incredible as Burnell and Devin's mics get cut as they indirectly throw Lazaro under the bus. Don't worry guys, Nicki took care of it for ya.

Kree: 10/10 God drat. That was one tall-rear end order she just filled flawlessly. I can't believe she had the chutzpah to tackle a lesser-known Aretha but if anyone has the skills to pull it off, it's Kree. Mariah remains drunk as gently caress. If I have to offer a criticism, it'd be that Kree's jacket was kinda hideous.

After tonight, the top 3 are definitely Kree, Candice, and Amber. The judges turned on Angie the last few weeks which will hamper her momentum, and Janelle got poo poo on a little but since she was so strong last week she'll get sympathy votes and she's got the country vote locked so she should be safe. Lazaro looked like a chump all night and at this point he's the only truly weak contestant. Devin doesn't have a strong base but he was very good tonight. Burnell's a bit of a wild card, which means he could get lost in the shuffle pretty easily.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: Amber, with Kree in a VERY close second.
TOMORROW'S BOTTOM 3: Hmmm, tough call. If I had to put real money on it, I'd say we're seeing an all-male bottom three, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Angie along with Devin and Burnell, since Lazaro's momentum probably needs another week to die off completely.
SHOULD GO HOME: Lazaro. Obviously.
WILL GO HOME: Burnell. And that sucks a lot, because they're smart enough to keep the Judge's Save open for the women.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
This show is terrible, but Nicki's "GET OFF THE STAGE" was probably my favorite Idol moment ever.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm sorry I abandoned you guys. The Voice came back on this week and I happily forgot Idol existed. Are you gonna make a Voice thread Christopher or should we make this one an all inclusive singing competition thread? I'll be interested to see how the ratings fall between these two shows.

Edit: I just heard an Adam Lambert song on the radio and it made me remember when the Idol threads would move so fast you couldn't keep up with them.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 28, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

I'm sorry I abandoned you guys. The Voice came back on this week and I happily forgot Idol existed. Are you gonna make a Voice thread Christopher or should we make this one an all inclusive singing competition thread? I'll be interested to see how the ratings fall between these two shows.

Well last night Idol had its lowest Wednesday rating, ever. The Voice could beat it with one hand tied behind its back. As you know I tried bumping The Voice thread but it didn't take, this thread was dead for a week, and the the last X-Factor thread barely hit 4 pages, so you might be on to something with that idea. I don't have a lot going on tomorrow so I'll probably close this thread and make an Idol Factor Voice-Off Isolation Station or something to that effect. Any suggestions or clever thread titles/images would be appreciated.

And please, let's leave America's Got Talent out of this if it's all the same. In a world of unwatchable reality programming it's just the worst.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'd just have a mod change the name of this thread and put a link to the start of the page with the all inclusive stuff on it first thing in the OP.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

I'd just have a mod change the name of this thread and put a link to the start of the page with the all inclusive stuff on it first thing in the OP.

Sounds like a plan.

Another results show!

Group sing - the guys sound just as terrible together as they did last night. At least the girls bothered with some harmony, whereas the guys can't even achieve unison. Unwarranted pyro puts the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

Awww, Ford Fiestas. Ughh just get on with it already.

Here's Jimmy the Dick to commentate on last night. He's mostly right except that he thinks Lazaro's done.

Kree gets a voicemail from Aretha and nearly dies. It's a sweet moment.

Oh, hello Colton Dixon. You're still whiny? Good to hear. Why is his whole backing band so old? Tell your sister to go audition for The Voice, k? Thanks.

OneRepublic shows up to perform a very OneRepublican ditty featuring Katherine McPhee. All it reminds me of is when they showed up on Smash for one episode for absolutely no reason. I'll watch anything McPhee's up to, is what I'm saying. Even if she's rocking Kate Beckinsale's hairstyle from a decade ago.

This results show seems to be broadcasting from a timewarp of some kind. People keep performing and nothing keeps happening and yet time does not appear to be progressing. I get my first taste of Keith Urban and holy hell is it bland. Crossover country and I have never been best buds by any means but this just sounds like everything else to me, only weaker and saying less. It sounds like there are instruments missing from the mix. I guess Randy's drunk tonight too, possibly from breathing the air around Mariah for two nights in a row.

Safe: Kree, Candice, Janelle, Angie (uh-oh), Amber. PHEW. A preview of your eventual Top 5, everybody.

None of these guys are getting the save, obviously. Burnell's safe and I couldn't be happier to be wrong about a prediction. Devin's toast.

Well that's it, obviously. Devin's going to redo one of his best performances on his way out though. Professor Poise, you gave it a good effort, but the women are just too strong this season. He kills it for his farewell number but of course it's not enough.

See you next week when Lazaro finally runs out of goodwill!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm actually semi-surprised that Devin got the boot this week. I didn't think he'd even get close to the finale since the girls are just wiping the floor with the guys every week, but I expected him to be either the second or last guy to go with Lazaro being the first of the three to go tonight.

Also, am I the only one who thought and/or said "are you loving kidding me?" when they forced taught those kids to sing Home? I think the Idol producers know that song is one of the more memorable (and overused) things to come out of the show in the past few seasons.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Man, I was rooting for Devin out of that sorry bunch of contestants. He kept it real, I liked that.

While the best thing this season is watching its Nielsen ratings tumble, then meanwhile, here's 1.5 hours of Adam Lambert on his AI journey. :3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGtn2m1Zy-A

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Since this is a catch-all thread now, I can share that Demi Lovato's confirmed to be returning for X Factor which is okay with me since she's the best part of that terrible, terrible show and my wife's not ready to break up with XF yet.

Also I'm really happy with Ursh and Shakira on the Voice. They're fitting right in and oh boy am I glad the show's back.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I really like Usher and Shakira too. I'm fine with Christina never coming back. She just always came off as a self centered shrew. I hope Tony Luca sends her Christmas cards every year just to annoy her. I found it funny as hell that all her contestants got eliminated last season. Serves her right for picking nothing but interchangeable girls that reminded her of herself. Shakira is a vast improvement, I hope she stays.

I really liked Midas Whale and I think Adam will be a good coach for them. Judith Hill was awesome however I have a bad feeling she's going to fall out early for some reason. I also find it odd that she hasn't gotten a record deal before. While it sounds honorable that she didn't want to take peoples calls after Michael Jacksons funeral, I don't think it would have been bad form if she did. She just sang in front of every big name in the music industry, nothing wrong with taking that opportunity as long as they are recognizing your talent and not just trying to pimp you as "the girl who sang at MJ's funeral."

The XF is the only place I know Demi Lavato from. I might recognize a song or two of hers if you played it. I just feel like she's kind of limited in who she can mentor. If I were one of the Over 30s I'd feel weird having someone half my age as my mentor. From what I understand (and could very well be wrong) she hasn't really spread her wings past a Disney show and one album? Just seems odd for her to be giving advice to people who have been working and trying to make it in the industry almost as long as she's been alive. I'm sure LA left because he knew the show was a train wreck and didn't want to be a part of it anymore. And Britney...she was a train wreck all in her own right. Her eyes are so vacant. It's like she's been so commercialized from being in the industry so long that she doesn't know how to have independent thought anymore, not that she was ever that bright to begin with. I can't really even laugh at her, it's just sort of sad. How did the XFactor do ratings wise?

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Christopher Irvine posted:

Since this is a catch-all thread now, I can share that Demi Lovato's confirmed to be returning for X Factor which is okay with me since she's the best part of that terrible, terrible show and my wife's not ready to break up with XF yet.

Also I'm really happy with Ursh and Shakira on the Voice. They're fitting right in and oh boy am I glad the show's back.

Two people I've never heard of are going to be joining Howard Stern and Howie Mandel for America's Got Talent this year. (Heidi Klum and Melanie Brown)

I maintain that The Voice took all the good singers and the other shows are all gonna rot, but at least the auditions for AGT will be good for a few awkward chuckles.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

How did the XFactor do ratings wise?

They dropped at least 1/4th of their viewers from S1 to S2, so I guess Scherzinger and Abdul are better ratings draws than Britney Spears.

So hey now that the thread's renamed everybody check out the updated OP!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Nice new OP! :) Thanks for going through the trouble of remaking it. I also had heard the Sing Off was canceled, I'm glad it's not. I'm a sucker for Acapella groups. I blame Where In The World is Carmen San Diego.

The Voice UK also started last week. No huge stand outs yet. Isn't X-Factor UK pretty successful? Why is it managing well there but not here?

Should American Idol be taken out of the thread title or maybe change it to Singing Competitions: etc? If I were scanning through threads and saw "American Idol: words words words" I'd assume the thread was still just American Idol.

Probably doesn't matter and I'm just being pedantic and should shut up.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 2, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

The Voice UK also started last week. No huge stand outs yet. Isn't X-Factor UK pretty successful? Why is it managing well there but not here?

If I had to guess it's the quality of the talent, which has included the likes of One Direction (who didn't win [!]) and Leona Lewis, but I also don't watch or know anything about the UK version beyond what I've just said. Maybe Simon isn't such a genial turd in his homeland.

KilGrey posted:

Should American Idol be taken out of the thread title or maybe change it to Singing Competitions: etc? If I were scanning through threads and saw "American Idol: words words words" I'd assume the thread was still just American Idol.

Probably doesn't matter and I'm just being pedantic and should shut up.

I'd PM someone since yeah it's a bit confusing but I don't have PMs :(

RE: the Voice tonight - how the hell did no one turn around for Sam? Maybe because he sang "Feelin' Good", a song that's become seriously overplayed on singing shows ever since Lambert elevated it in Idol 8? I was seriously confused. Either way I'm so ingratiated by how much FUN the judges are having.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

xov posted:

Two people I've never heard of are going to be joining Howard Stern and Howie Mandel for America's Got Talent this year. (Heidi Klum and Melanie Brown)

I maintain that The Voice took all the good singers and the other shows are all gonna rot, but at least the auditions for AGT will be good for a few awkward chuckles.

This may help clarify, or maybe they're still unfamiliar, but Heidi Klum is a German model and hosted Project Runway. I assume Melamie Brown is Mel B of the Spice Girls (Scary Spice).

I should add, Chistopher Irvine, I never post in here but I look forward to your Idol observations each week so keep it up, you may be the only one posting but not the only one reading!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'd PM someone since yeah it's a bit confusing but I don't have PMs :(

I can PM Aatrek for you. You should also have PMs, Mister. I may have an extra gift cert laying around I could send you.

RE: the Voice tonight - how the hell did no one turn around for Sam? Maybe because he sang "Feelin' Good", a song that's become seriously overplayed on singing shows ever since Lambert elevated it in Idol 8? I was seriously confused. Either way I'm so ingratiated by how much FUN the judges are having.

If I'm being objective, he had a good voice. However that's one of the songs that I absolutely can't stand to hear sung in these competitions anymore. I feel like it's a song contestants are always using at home, at Karaoke bars, in front of girls etc to try to impress people. Like they are actively thinking, "This will blow them away!" but all the really do is try to mimic Michael Buble's phrasing and tone. Then everyone does swoon because they either don't know any better or because they are in a non-objective setting. Then they come into the auditions over confident and don't sing it to the level that it should be sung.

Yeah, that's a lot of personal projection and words to just say, I don't think people ever sing it as well as the original.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 3, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

I can PM Aatrek for you.

I tweeted him tonight, so no worries. Thanks though!

mozza posted:

I should add, Chistopher Irvine, I never post in here but I look forward to your Idol observations each week so keep it up, you may be the only one posting but not the only one reading!

I appreciate that validation, man. It's like therapy for me.

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, that's a lot of personal projection and words to just say, I don't think people ever sing it as well as the original.

You're not wrong at all. Honestly nobody's even done it very well since Lambert, which is why I cited that. For those that don't know, now you do.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I tweeted him tonight, so no worries. Thanks though!

Oops, already did. I acted too fast, should have waited for you to respond. Sorry, hopefully he's not irritated. :(

Haven't watched tonight's episode yet, just finished last nights. I really liked that nerdy, introverted girl that sang I Kissed a Girl. I'd like to see where she can go. The guy who went last, the country guy, I didn't find him to be as amazing as everyone else made him out to be. :confused:

Nobody has completely wowed me yet, hopefully they're waiting until the last few episodes to pack in all the really good people. Still better than most seasons of Idol though.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The Voice has one really big problem, which is the Battle Rounds. A lot of the judge decisions for both pairings and winners are extremely questionable, like as a rule. Thankfully last cycle they added two Saves per coach but even with that there were quite a few exceptional talents that didn't make it. As a consequence I try not to get too invested in contestants until the teams are finalized and the live rounds start, but it doesn't detract a bit from the fun of the Blinds.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I agree, I like the Battle Rounds if it's an actual good pairing but more often than not you can see the judges trying to manipulate the teams. Like purposely putting someone in as canon fodder for someone they really like, which backfired last season on Cee-lo when he paired Amanda and Trevin together. Thank God they included the save so we got to see more of Amanda. Her blind audition wasn't that great so he wasn't expecting her to tear it up in the Battle Rounds. The Battle Rounds is the time you can definitely see the judges start to play favorites. The save does make it much better though.

I also hope they don't do the public voting rounds by couch again and do it like they did last year where highest votes go through. I still think they way they multiply itunes sales as 10x votes is sketchy as hell though. It wouldn't be so bad if the multiplier wasn't so high but it can definitely gently caress with the results. You might get more votes for someone but if another person makes more itunes sales you're out. I guess from a business perspective it makes sense, they want someone whose been proven to sell but it sucks from a viewer stand point. I'd rather them do their sketchy business stuff behind the scenes where I'm blissfully unaware.

I just caught up with the newest episode. I really liked the long haired redheaded guy, if for no other reason than he reminds me of Budnick from Salute Your Shorts. :neckbeard: Also really enjoyed the guy who sang Walking in Memphis. I might be biased though because that is one of my all time favorite songs and I'm a sucker for a deep raspy voice.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
HOLY poo poo THE SING-OFF IS COMING BACK? :woop::woop::woop:

Blake's team is so boring so far. Blurgh.

It's funny how Usher started out kinda quiet and spoke solely in platitudes (Yeah, I want you on my team. You can sing.), and now he's actually giving good critiques/advice. But he's the only one that can't hide his regret for turning his chair around, and that's also awesome.

Shakira is awesome. She's so nice. Shakira > XTina.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I've caught up on some of the live performances from the girls this season (on AI) and jesus did they ever stack the drat deck in an attempt at finally breaking the string of male winners.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Yay, it's Classic Rock night! Time to get all snobby about music. The opening shots have a super-dramatic look at a loving tuning pedal. Ooh, exciting. Then they pretend that Alex Lifeson uses Big Muff. Oh wait, I'm watching Idol so I better turn that instinct off before I hear what I'm led to believe is an Evanescence performance by Angie. :barf:

Turns out they're going to be misusing Orianthi somehow, but she's pretty kickass so she'll hopefully elevate the proceedings.

Is it always the top 7 when contestants make fun of each other? Oh well. It's all a put-on because nobody's talking about ErmGate when discussing Burnell. I immediately let out an "Oh NO..." when his song starts.

Burnell: 5/10 This song is a horrible fit from the jump, and he whiffs his cue to start. Also I kept getting distracted by Ori's PRS but that's not Burnell's fault. It's also not his fault that the arrangement seemed to be centered on Ori getting as many solo fills as possible. The pacing issues, dropped phrases, and overall awkwardness however, was all him. Bad week to be in the death slot for Burnell. The judges are polite but clearly not pleased, except for Mimi who is so constantly pleased with herself that it extends to everything in her immediate proximity. I'm guessing they're saving their acid for Laz.

Lazaro and Angie are going to duet on Queen? Oh gawd... wait, it's Lazaro doing a duet with anyone?! gently caress me. If it's "Fat Bottomed Girls" I'm going to finish my drink and kick back and let it wash over me.

Team Fake It Til You're In It To Win It: 2.5/10 Lazaro's lower register is dogshit. Once again he forgets the words and looks at his partner in desperation. This was barely a duet. Angie just sort of filled the gaps in between Lazaro making GBS threads the bed. At least the red pants made his junk distractingly prominent. Mariah even gave a note of genuine criticism about song choice. I'm floored. Everyone else is really nice except for Keith. What is even going on here? Either way at least it's over.

Oh man, Kree's doing Janis? I'm already in karaoke heaven and it's still the commercial break. Angie buries Laz even further as he confirms that they, in fact, duet. Kree is confirmed to be basically The Best Person In The World as well as a hug machine. I love her. :allears:

Kree: 7.5/10 She opted for the countrified version of this song which I don't love, but she wants to be a country artist so I'll stop complaining. She sounded a little bit off, like maybe a mild cold? Anyway this didn't rise above really great karaoke and at this point my expectations of Kree are unfairly high. It was still very, very good - but only just. The judges slobber all over her. Keith gets to the heart of the matter and leads her to reveal that she has a pinched nerve. Smart loving move, but I wonder if she needs the help.

Seacrest, don't say that anyone was "homies" with Janis Joplin. In fact, don't say anyone was "homies" ever again.

Team Stellarm: 8.5/10 My wife doesn't see what this arrangement has to do with Rock and I can't argue but goddamn was this hot. Even their outfits were smartly coordinated! Unfortunately the sound mix swallowed both of them up pretty badly which is a real shame because I wanted to hear every note! Mariah forgets that it's Rock Week because she's even more drunk than I am. Nicki might have a bit of the giggle juice in her too because she's way off burying Burnell. Best of the night so far, easily.

Janelle's doing a country spin... on Billy Joel... during Rock Week. Okay then! :psyduck: Candice cracked me the gently caress up talking about Janelle making drama out of everything.

Janelle: 8/10 She showed that she has absolutely no rock chops whatsoever, and that she can't dirty up her squeaky-clean tone to save her life. For me, this needed a dose of stank to really bring it home, but I also can't deny that it was a fantastic vocal and a very strong performance. There was a severe disconnect from the song though, but I'm probably the only person who cares. Randy said the song "fit her like a top" which is either really demeaning or just kinda gross. Mariah's been given marching orders by the producers to discuss song choice, as it's been the only thing she's talked about all loving night.

For poo poo's sake we're not even halfway through? And Lazaro's going back to the Queen songbook? This is such a slog. Oh god Lazaro's singing "We Are The Champions" oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

Lazaro: :confused:/10 Well let's just get it out of the way that the sound mix was completely wrong and I had to adjust my mixer and listen a second time to see if I could hear him more with a few tweaks. It didn't really help. I'm honestly not 100% comfortable with grading this given that fact. They also transposed this to a very strange key that made everything sound wrong. The judges are no help at all, with Nicki calling it "crack juice", and Mariah mentioning song choice yet again. Keith doesn't call him out for doing another ballad on Rock Week when it was RIGHT THERE. From what I could hear this may have been his best performance in a month, but it still wasn't great. If I had to grade it I'd give it probably a 6.5 and I'd probably be too generous with that if I did.

So far this is probably the worst live installment of the show this season.

Team Irvine Can't Think of a Joke: 7/10 I've made no secret of the fact that I loving hate Billy Joel. Amber's outfit is completely inexplicable. Generally speaking, songs written from an individual's first-person perspective don't lend themselves to groups. This was no exception. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad or anything, but it was better-suited to a results show night than a performance show. The judges... oh what the hell ever. Get on with it already.

Their April Fool's Day joke broke Candice's toe. gently caress April Fool's Day for that. The behind-the-scenes footage confirms that Candice is loving awesome.

Candice: 9/10 Now THAT'S the stank I was looking for! Dirty dirty DIRRRR-TEEEEHHHHH man was that great. I don't care for the Idol arrangement of this song but she absolutely owned it. The lyrics were basically rendered into gibberish but the performance was engaging and entertaining. Keith plays up her injury which is apparently his job tonight. Nicki's definitely wasted and it's great. BOOOOOOOO!

I'm wishing that Rock Week happened like 4 weeks ago because everyone's out of their comfort zone and that's better for the earlier stages of the competition, but they've been coddling the contestants for 4 seasons running so I'm probably asking too much. At this time I would like to observe that they gave Angie a very long time to distance herself from her duet with Lazaro and since I know what she's singing and the fact that they're giving her the pimp spot is a bit fishy.

Amber: 10+++/10 Singing peak Heart is a massive challenge and Amber just made it sound like nothing at all, and made it her own without hesitation. Flawless. Stunning. One of the best of the season, easily. She just made a very strong case for winning the season with this vocal, and that's to say nothing of the way she commanded the stage and overcame atrocious camerawork. The judges fall all over themselves to praise it, and they aren't wrong. Mariah doesn't even talk about song choice!

Angie's probably worried after that. She should be, as she's plumbing the depths of the worst that karaoke has to offer. I legitimately hope her nerves make her poo poo the bed hard. Joshua Ledet's in the house with Hollie Cavanaugh, and she's lost her bizarre accent. I miss Joshua. You were robbed last season, buddy!

Angie: 6/10 This is basically the drama kid dream song and she really hosed it up. Pitching this down a step and a half took all of the drama out of an already inert and histrionic song, and the arrangement took out any big moments and it was basically just nonstop boring choruses after the opening verse. She sang well, but who cares? The bar was set so low and she barely cleared it. Barely. This was an utter mess and with this, she represents the two worst performances of the night. She's clearly working on her inappropriate smiles, but there was no connection to the song at all. The judges didn't want to close on a low note, but then Keith implies nearly directly that it was really underwhelming. He's right.

Bad, bad night. Orianthi shined but how could she not? All of the arrangements were custom-built to showcase her. Amber was the lone standout on a night with a hobbled Candice and Kree, and as usual I'm underrating Janelle. Amber was a revelation but Burnell opened the show with a forgettable and flat performance, and the judges didn't take well to his duet which was completely unfair and also nearly ensures Lazaro's safety. Also Lazaro's solo performance was buried in the mix. Why are they protecting him? My wife thinks it's because they need a girl to win this season, and even though that seems like a foregone conclusion based on the strength of the field, keeping him around as fodder makes a sick sort of sense. That said, I have a bad feeling that we're losing either Burnell or Amber tomorrow night. Amber will be saved, Burnell won't. It was a serious misstep to protect Lazaro, who will absolutely be one of the double eliminations next week if he survives.

BEST OF THE NIGHT: Amber, far and away.
TOMORROW'S BOTTOM 3: Amber, Angie, and Burnell. I am only vaguely confident about this prediction.
LAZARO SHOULD GO HOME: Correct, still.
WILL GO HOME: No one. The judge save will be used. That or Burnell is done.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Top Seven Results Show Time! I haven't so much as thought about the show since I finished my recap.

The judges are doing a creepy "two couples" hand-hold as they make their way to the table. I forgot to mention this last night. I'm assuming it's to keep the ladies from falling over. Only 25 million votes? Dang does that seem low. I can't be arsed to look up the statistics, mind you.

The group number is autotuned and it's really loving obvious since this group couldn't do a flawless 7-part harmony. Janelle's runs in particular were oddly digital. You could also tell it was prerecoded because Lazaro remembered all of the words.

I have no idea what the point of the Fiesta Movement thing was at all but who cares.

Look everybody, it's a dick! Let's hear what he has to say about everybody. He's generally right but he's wrong about Lazaro going home. And of course he overrates Angie.

Reminder: Casey James finished third in his season despite not really being able to sing. I always forget about everyone who wasn't Bowersox or DeWyze from that season. I used to remember Siobhan but then I heard her debut single and immediately forgot her forever. Seriously, it's that bad. Casey hasn't been taking any vocal lessons in the meantime but he's still a good looking dude so the status quo remains intact in the world of Casey James. Third loving place. Unbelievable.

I'm really surprised that Mariah wasn't any of the names on her top 3 list. Though to be fair, she's the only one who got it right. Kree's in the top 3! So is Angie. I'm totally kidding as I predict Lazaro being the last announced top 3er... and sure enough, there he is. Yeesh. I don't always love being right.

Carrie! Her audition-era footage is real charming, but her song is really boring.

Lazaro doesn't seem too happy about being in the top 3. He isn't the only one. Candice is safe! So is Amber! The top 4 remains intact. I'm more than a little shocked to see Janelle there. So is everyone else, and she looks very defeated. She deserves better than this. Burnell... sorry bud. You had a good run.

Yup. We get a chyron that says "BURNELL'S FRIENDS" and are shown a shot of the judges. Aww, that's just sad. The Idol live production team are jerks. Burnell is not in good voice at all. Mariah can't even look at him. Neither can anyone else. This is so loving sad. Of course they don't save him. It's a very sorrowful scene, with Burnell, Candice, Amber, Nicki, and Mariah unable to contain themselves. Lazaro has serious survivor's guilt.

I had no idea how much I liked this kid until I knew he was leaving. This seriously ruined my night. What a brutal week. :smith: See you after The Voice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Caroline was very sweet but the last thing I need is another Melanie Martinez and she's looking like the latest "quirky girl who goes inexplicably far" and I am not a fan of that. It's too soon to actually know, but I'm just saying.

Cee-Lo who? Christina who? Shakira and Ursh got this. Usher in particular is shining, but the silent moment when Shakira clearly mouthed "mo-ther-FUCKER" when the other guys turned around during the Selena song was the highlight of the night.

• Locked thread