Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That makes sense. Witcher 3 was the first time I had trouble with them... figures that a publisher running its own distribution platform wouldn't sell to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zaphod42 posted:

...do you think I'm lying? :confused:

GMG is nothing like Steam. Like I just said, they're the least shady of the key re-sellers; but they are a key re-seller and Steam is not.
Don't compare them.

Not at all! I just wanted to give my experience was them is all. They're not like G2A or anything.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I am playing XCOM: Enemy Within: Long War: Ultimate Horseshit Edition, and while my entire squad is still within walking range of the entry point, a terror mission puts me up against a Sectopod, a group of EXALT rocket launcher assholes on a roof, a pack of chrysalids, and an extra-large chrysalid called 'Greater Hive Queen' which has lightning reflexes, Sprint, immunity to critical hits, and fifty (that is, ten rows of five) health points.

Otherwise I'm having a great time with it, the flashbangs and poo poo are great additions.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

I am playing XCOM: Enemy Within: Long War: Ultimate Horseshit Edition, and while my entire squad is still within walking range of the entry point, a terror mission puts me up against a Sectopod, a group of EXALT rocket launcher assholes on a roof, a pack of chrysalids, and an extra-large chrysalid called 'Greater Hive Queen' which has lightning reflexes, Sprint, immunity to critical hits, and fifty (that is, ten rows of five) health points.

Otherwise I'm having a great time with it, the flashbangs and poo poo are great additions.

Sounds like SOMEONE forgot to follow amanasleep's advice and win every mission.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I finally swallowed my pride and started Long War on Classic difficulty instead of Brutal, and things are going much better! I turned on training roulette cause it's awesome, increased interceptor accuracy because gently caress the air war, and turned off item repair because it's tedious as hell. I had to admit to myself I was not willing to overwatch creep and count tiles and all that stuff.

Really enjoying it so far. Being aggressive is more fun, and although I'm losing some troops it seems to be going pretty well. My latest mission got pretty hairy though.

Operation First Gift was a landed scout. People always make jokes about these being traps, but most of my top troops were in fatigue and I wanted to train up some rookies. How bad could it be?

Oh, it's the first cyberdisc of the campaign! Against my c-team. And it was in a pod with 2 seekers and a drone.

Luckily I was able to take care of most of the map before activating it, but unluckily this was near the end of my turn as I flanked the last thin man. It proceeded to kill my rookie with a grenade and then crit my soldier through full cover. I somehow managed to survive two more round against it even though it was flanking several of my troops (pack suppression and smoke grenades folks!). Two losses on a scout UFO hurts, but I'll take it considering I had no heat ammo.

I think discs are my most feared enemy in Long War (except heavy floaters maybe). They are scary as hell.

As an aside, I really love training roulette in combination with LW. Most of my assaults somehow got resilience as their 2nd or 3rd skill, and half my troops have VPT already. Zhang is absurdly tanky for this stage of the game with extra conditioning, will to survive and resilience. My snipers have varied skills but at least 3 of them are platinum blonde French women for some reason.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Lugaloco posted:

You can get 27% off XCOM 2 and the Deluxe version on GMG. Just use 27PERC-OFFXCO-M2GAME .

It finally made me cave and preorder :smith:

Welp.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If GMG lists the publisher/developer as the key source then they're not reselling it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoops, wrong thread.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 27, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I am so loving hype for this game oh mygoddddddddd

also gently caress long war

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The feeling you get on a small map with three meld canisters. And you brought your A game.

(then a floater takes it all away by hiding until the meld timer ran out)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Affi posted:

(then a floater takes it all away by hiding until the meld timer ran out)

Had that happen to a dude who was bleeding out... and had all the medkits. :argh:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
What the hell is Playfire? Once again I try to log into GMG and it forces me to a page that only tells me to enter my Playfire password to continue, but I don't have an account with that site. No matter where else I click on GMG it just reloads the Playfire password page. I gave up and went to Playfire, tried to create an account, and it says I already have an account with that email. I try to log in using my email and my GMG password (it says I can do this during the botched account creation), and it doesn't work. So I can't create or log in to Playfire, and can't log in to GMG because it wants both GMG and Playfire log in credentials.

I have no idea what Playfire is and my only experience with whatever it is so far only makes me really want to never use it because of this poo poo. What does a website force me to have/create an account to an unrelated site? I just want to give them money for a preorder. :smithicide:

I at least sent a support request to Playfire.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What the hell is Playfire?

It's some game achievements/social network thing that gives you GMG credit for playing games (I'm not sure if it still does).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ragingsheep posted:

It's some game achievements/social network thing that gives you GMG credit for playing games (I'm not sure if it still does).

They stopped a while ago. It was nice while it lasted, somehow I ended up with $10 in credit and bought a CK2 expansion pack or something.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Thyrork posted:

Had that happen to a dude who was bleeding out... and had all the medkits. :argh:

On any given mission I always forget either a medic/medkits or anything that destroys cover or one of my few concealment scouts.

Makes for some very interesting missions.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Anyone have an idea when the preload for this games gonna be?

45 gigs is alot to download would rather be doing that before the games actually out

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VoLaTiLe posted:

Anyone have an idea when the preload for this games gonna be?

45 gigs is alot to download would rather be doing that before the games actually out

CrazyLoon posted:

The preloads should happen about 3 or 4 days beforehand via Steam - that's the amount of time that was given last time with Enemy Unknown, when I preordered via GMG.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Blisster posted:

I think discs are my most feared enemy in Long War (except heavy floaters maybe). They are scary as hell.

While they are nasty enough on their own, I find the worst part is how their floating around fucks with LoS. A couple of times now I've had one float over a ramp or between some pillars and been really close but not in LoS and high up, meaning I could not chem grenade them or suppress them. Next turn they get to casually float around the corner and either get a free shot in, or die in a hail of OW fire and fall on my team :mad:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkrenown posted:

While they are nasty enough on their own, I find the worst part is how their floating around fucks with LoS. A couple of times now I've had one float over a ramp or between some pillars and been really close but not in LoS and high up, meaning I could not chem grenade them or suppress them. Next turn they get to casually float around the corner and either get a free shot in, or die in a hail of OW fire and fall on my team :mad:

Usually I do pretty well on Long War: Impossible...but I seriously underestimated what a POS it can be on my first terror mission, where I expected a cyberdisc and a lot of drones and maybe a bit more...

...no...instead I get THREE Cyberdisks, two of which trigger immediately down a narrow corridor, another coming in to reinforce them the very next turn...8 Seekers and something like 10 drones. I almost frigging made it through after kiting them and getting a little lucky...but then a zombie popped from a cryssie pod and just hosed everything else and I was like: "gently caress it! We're running!" Only 2 soldiers made it back alive from 7.

gently caress douchedisks and their uber movement while not giving a poo poo and hitting for 10 points non-crit.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How bad is the will loss from dying? I havn't been paying much attention but is it "Oh poo poo this soldier will never be psi material" or "Eh one time is no time" or "dismiss!"?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It was reduced to -5, so it's not huge. However they also get 24h more fatigue after each mission afterwards. I assume both of these can stack if they get another critical wound.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Do we know what time on the 5th the game unlocks? I'm going to be a nerd and take a day off work and I'm trying to figure out if it should be the 5th or the following Monday.

If I remember right based on EU's release the game will probably end up releasing late Thursday night, but I'm not sure how accurate that memory is.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
So I read the first 3 pages of this thread and I was told enemies wont move when being overwatched? Did they fix this, or am I missing something? My overwatcher was also flanking said alien moving after the overwatch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

E: I misread the post

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

LolitaSama posted:

So I read the first 3 pages of this thread and I was told enemies wont move when being overwatched? Did they fix this, or am I missing something? My overwatcher was also flanking said alien moving after the overwatch.

Yes that behavior got changed in Enemy Within.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Thinking about mods I might have a go at making, I wonder if it would be possible to make some PCS items that confer skills? Ignore me if they already can, but grafting, say, Conceal onto someone, or maybe giving them an equivalent of jumpylegs from XCOM EW, could be interesting, more so than just straight stat boosts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dyzzy posted:

Yes that behavior got changed in Enemy Within.

I'd wondered about that, in my game. I figured it just reduced their chances at moving, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does GMG usually hand out their steam keys a few days in advance or am I gonna have to wait for day-of to start downloading?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ciaphas posted:

Does GMG usually hand out their steam keys a few days in advance or am I gonna have to wait for day-of to start downloading?

If you decide to preorder via them right now, you get an order number. Save that, just in case, otherwise the whole thing is drat automatic and should notify you via e-mail or next time you log into Steam, I forget which. Either way, like I said. I got it via GMG and I got to download it 3-4 days in advance.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
How much will Legend affect the strategic layer? I know about the campaign being longer, and construction taking longer, but couldn't tell much else from the streams.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Christopher_Odd/status/692406086947704834

Neat. I'm always in for watching more people die. :unsmigghh:

Hoping this will also mean more fun things from Beagle "soon" :haw:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Green man gaming says:

No keys available until the game is released.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So can I turn off ironman in long war? I've just spent so much time now that if a save fucks up I'll cry

Veotax
May 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Green man gaming says:

No keys available until the game is released.

Aww, I hope the keys come out early enough in the day so I can download it while I'm at work.

Then again, I think GMG has said this before and sent keys out a few days early before.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Veotax posted:

Aww, I hope the keys come out early enough in the day so I can download it while I'm at work.

Then again, I think GMG has said this before and sent keys out a few days early before.

To clarify, you download the game FIRST via Steam and the order number you get 3-4 days in advance and THEN you input the key to unlock it on the date of release. It won't work before that date, but you will have downloaded the game already so you won't have to wait on that. At least, I think that's how it went with Enemy Unknown and it definitely allowed me to preload it, but it was 3 years ago and I could be misremembering the details, so Iron Rose will prolly know more on this than me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I know that dude. AlternateAccount said that GMG wasn't sending keys out until release day, which means no pre-loading for anyone who brought from GMG.

EDIT: I only skimmed your post, it doesn't work like that at all. You can't pre-load until you enter your key, the game unlocks automatically when it is released. No key, no pre-load.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 27, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like mentioned earlier, Green Man Gaming has changed their policies in a number of ways since the last few years, which includes not giving keys for most games ahead of time, and thus not enabling pre-loading. Actually, I am not even sure if you will qualify for the pre-order bonus content, since I know that for "authorised distributor" keys they actually source a lot them the day of release so they are not technically pre-order even if you pay GMG ahead of time.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like mentioned earlier, Green Man Gaming has changed their policies in a number of ways since the last few years, which includes not giving keys for most games ahead of time, and thus not enabling pre-loading. Actually, I am not even sure if you will qualify for the pre-order bonus content, since I know that for "authorised distributor" keys they actually source a lot them the day of release so they are not technically pre-order even if you pay GMG ahead of time.

Well, poo poo. I'm pretty sure the discount I got way back several months back is legit, lol, but yea...sucks if that's how they play it now. :( I doubt they'll straight up lie about the pre-order bonus TBH, as they listed it and they'd suffer some blowback from it, but yea...a shame about no pre-loads.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Didn't someone say that GMG was sourcing the XCOM2 keys from 2K directly and not Generic Authorized Distributor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The GMG page for Xcom 2 lists 2K games as the source for the keys, so they probably are an authorised distributor for this game.

Also they list the pre-order DLC as included. When GMG sends their keys out probably depends on when 2K sends them out. There is little reason for GMG to hold the keys back, it's not like you'll be able to play the game earlier if you get the key earlier.

• Locked thread