Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spaceking posted:

Liking the sound of this pack, even if it isn't a modern interpretation of Terror from the Deep, but something about MELD rubs me the wrong way. Two possible units on every map you go to, hidden in places to make soldiers take riskier moves to obtain them sounds all well and good, but 'searching the map' brings back nightmares of XCOM Classic's whole "one sectoid left on the map, hidden in the barn" thing that the new game did well to avoid. Thankfully the resource has a time limit so we won't be spending 10 turns scouring the map for that last bastard.

Mech suits are cool, but I feel like their inclusion might render the SHIV relatively useless, except as a fallback gun and mobile cover. Unless its getting shiny new toys as well.

The point of the SHIV is that it's disposable. Cyborg soldiers are an investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Really? That seems...really low. I guess most people stick to normal and classic. And there is implassic at that for the inbetweeners.

Most gamers don't go for the masochistic stuff like Impossible man.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dud root posted:

I really hate the permanent Will damage mechanic. Surely it goes both ways? Some people will become shivering wrecks while others will only harden their resolve. My recommendation is to set the Will damage to 0 using Toolboks

What determines Will damage? I never had much of an issue with it myself

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Classic is where the game just feels right for me. It doesn't pull punches, but it's also fair. Crushingly and unrelentingly fair.

Impossible meanwhile is a load of poo poo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

He's the most appropriate MEC candidate.

On a more serious note, the Assault and Sniper MEC specific perks seem like the better ones to me. Zhang would have the Heavy perk which is well...I dunno it seems kind of poo poo for somebody who spends all their time hanging out in the open like MECs do. Maybe it'd make more of a difference than I'm imagining though.

Edit: That and the fact that the Heavy perk only affects the nearest enemy. Pretty weak.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

I wasn't aware the specific perks got announced. What are they?

The XCOM wiki has a list of them. I couldn't tell you where they got them, maybe they just obsessively analyzed all available video or some poo poo? Regardless, here's the list:

A Heavy gains Body Shield: The nearest visible enemy suffers -20 Aim and cannot critically hit this unit.
A Support gains Distortion Field: Nearby allies in cover receive +10 Defense.
A Sniper gains Platform Stability: Any shots taken without moving have +10 Aim and +10% critical chance.
An Assault gains Shock-Absorbent Armor: Damage received from enemies within 4 tiles is reduced by 33%.

All of them have merits to me except Heavy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know, enemies having significantly more difficulty hitting the guy and, even then, being unable to score a critical hit on them seems like Heavy MECs have some serious survivability. A significant number of my own losses come from aliens who happen to score a lucky critical hit on a soldier, basically wiping them out before I can act.

Sure, but then there's this caveat:

"The nearest visible enemy suffers -20 Aim and cannot critically hit this unit."

It affects one dude. The Assault perk seems far better, if you can get up in duders faces.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the emphasis on the heavies ability is on the aim penalty if I'm reading it right. A flat penalty to aim means that alien would have a harder time shooting other friendlies. It's a free micro suppression for standing near the enemy.

This makes sense. I hadn't read it that way, that's a little bit more attractive.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

If the nearest enemy is a Sectipod, Cyberdisk or Elite Muton, I'll take that.

I mean, Zheng is getting robotocised regardless.

Gimmick run: Make everyone that you can into a MEC. Name them Sonic, Tails, Sally, Antoine, Chuck.

The Commander is Doctor Robotnik. :gonk:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So something I've been wondering, do we know yet if the game TELLS us if there's Meld on a map or not? I don't want to rush around when there's nothing worth actually rushing FOR, for example.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Deuce posted:

You can take a giant robot suit and rocket-punch a sectoid into a car so hard that the car explodes.

Honestly this should just be the title of the thread

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Ffffuuuck...the game is making me go through the tutorials. LET ME RESEARCH THE DAMNED MELD!

On the plus side though, the UI is so much snazzier and more responsive. I look forward to getting my first level 2 soldier so I can see what joys Training Roulette has brought me.

You could have turned off the tutorial in Advanced Setup when starting a new game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Whoever claimed this would be easier than EU is insane. I've found it crushingly difficult so far, barely staying afloat in the first two months. Finally I had to start over entirely because I just couldn't keep my head above water. Too many fires to put out, not enough scientists, not enough engineers, too many wounded.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

drat it XCOM! Stop undoing my fancy armor customizations whenever somebody gets wounded! :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I haven't been following this thread for a long time and only recently heard there's an expansion. Without trawling through pages and pages and getting most of the expansion spoiled is there an OP like post for it that someone could link me to or just a summary of what's in it and whether it's good or not would do.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Yep, that's how I feel too. Same game but way more options. How are you guys dealing with seekers? It seems a bit lame to me because my only counter has been, "overwatch for 2-3 rounds until they leave stealth and insta-die." On that note, I wish all 6 of my dudes wouldn't blow their overwatch when the first shot kills.

Sniper Battle Scanner reveals them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Would anyone happen to have discovered yet what research project unlocks the third and final MEC Trooper weapon? I'm jonesing for even more firepower than the Railgun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Did the Alien Base panic reduction get nerfed? I seem to recall it being heftier than 1 point in every country.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So does the game just stop giving you medals after a while? I don't think Ive gotten one in at least a month.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

At first, I was questioning my decision to get the Cybernetics lab. I mean, I wanted cyborgs, but those generic augs looked really cool.

Then I sent my first MEC on a mission.

:pcgaming: :getin: :pcgaming:

I think I may make another one.

EDIT: The achievement for making a MEC soldier should have been "I DID ask for this"

Double MECs is really the way to go don't be an idiot scrub like me and neglect to make a second one for ages.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Stupid question, but MECs do gain ranks, right? Or do I need to build them up before converting them?

They gain ranks normally and their ranks transfer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Starting in South America and rushing full sat coverage on Asia is starting to seem really, really tempting for a Gene Aug emphasized game.

Rushing full Asia sat coverage is really tempting in general with how many loving goodies are in the Foundry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MEC Troopers have done terrible, terrible things to my capacity for collateral damage. I basically just roll through maps exploding literally everything now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

MECs are basically tanks. You support your infantry with them and your infantry support them. They have some really good abilities, but they're often situational and they can't just blindly rush up and lay waste to things (at least not early on).

They're really good at drawing fire if you're in a bad position - the aliens will always shoot them over your soldiers behind cover because the accuracy is higher.

Tank is a really bad comparison for a MEC and will give people the wrong idea. A group of aliens can easily one round a MEC, what a MEC really has going for them is overwhelming firepower, mobility, and the ability to obliterate cover with impunity.

Think of them as cavalry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rooting out a cell is worth a panic reduction, too, so an intel scan can be a good way to potentially pull a country out of the red around the 22nd of the month or so

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

No wonder these pricks stayed hidden for so long - they're in the same area as my primary base, which is also where the alien base is. :argh:

Little did the Commander realize that EXALT was in fact standing two inches behind him the whole time, mimicking his every move.

What I'm getting at here is your game is a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Yup I'm really liking this combination so far with jumpy legs. It's like having an archangel SS sniper way before archangel armor is available.

Low profile+Snapshot also makes an excellent flanker since every piece of cover counts as high.

Training Roulette gave me a Snapshot/Aggression/Sprinter/Low Profile/In the Zone Sniper :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Went for an abduction mission in Germany.

That brough panic up to 5 for China, India and Australia (Starting continent)

:stare:

Luckily I took out the base after that, but man do I hate that "raises panic across the whole continent, gently caress you" system.

It's a predictable system and it's essentially your fault if you don't account for it. Panic rises by 2 in any country you don't go to, and 1 on every country in the same continent. Do the math...Commander :colbert:

FrickenMoron posted:

Is rushing satellites still as important as it was in the base game? Or is there a better system in place now?

Just as important.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Benagain posted:

I may have missed this, do MECS panic?

Yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Losing countries is absolutely to be expected. Its basically impossible to keep everyone in. The key to success is figuring out which countries you're gonna let fall and which you're gonna aim to keep.

That's kind of overstating it. Keeping every country is 100% doable on Normal and Classic, but not to be expected on a first run. Relax, kill xenos, smoke Meld.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wales Grey posted:

Assuming you're not using unsourced quotes or other chicanery, DS2 follows from the Chosen Undead not linking the fires.

DS2 follows from the fire being linked in DS1. Linking the flame is merely a holding pattern is all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why does anyone care about video game canon?

Developers might demean my virtual accomplishments and therefore my self worth :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

Linking the flame is the "success" condition, as it allows the age of fire to renew itself so that humanity can live again. Siding with Kaathe at the end of Dark Souls 1 ends the age of fire and destroys humanity's last hope :goonsay:

Also, snake tits

Yes. And humanity's last hope is a delaying tactic. None of this is incompatible with what I said :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

khy posted:

I don't see it. Maybe it's too small but I can't quite make out what you guys are laughing about.

They're all standing on some kind of spherical object such that their feet are obscured just barely.

• Locked thread