Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vib Rib posted:

In a surprise twist, the fifth class is wizards. Not like, MELD-enhanced psionics, just plain old sorcery-fueled, fireball-flinging, pointy-hatted wizards with huge beards and gnarled wooden canes who cough out weird made up words and zap sectoids with lightning.

New Shadowrun game's sounding pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It seems like the big danger of being yanked out of cover would come from other enemies then having a chance to gang-shoot the out of cover squaddie and murder them, but the Viper wrapping itself around them seems to get in the way of that? I dunno.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gato posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but didn't they say at some point that the 5th class wasn't recruited from the rookie pool like the other four, but had to be obtained some other way? People were speculating about mid-game missions to rescue psychics or test subjects or whatever.

I can see something like this happening, the emphasis is still pretty clearly on "aliens stealing humans and doing weird science to them" based on previewed Blacksite missions and stuff. Maybe some combination of psychic powers and Meld-ish gene mods since we also know that the Etherials/whoever have been splicing human DNA into drat near everything they can and vice versa. Not quite "turncoat Advent troops" so much as "we found this guy floating in a tube of goo and it turns out he can jump three stories high and set people on fire with his brain." They could even implement something similar to how EW handled Meld containers where test subjects are on the map as a timed optional objective that force you to press ahead if you want to reach them before they're killed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rygar201 posted:

I'll lose my poo poo if you could equip your rookies with suicide vests, so they could literally suicide themselves first XCOM :black101:

I've read interviews with the developers (or maybe it was a video) where someone asked if it was going to be possible to perform "terror missions" where the shoe was on the other foot, and while they sort of laughed it off they were pretty emphatic that despite XCOM's rebel underground status in this one that they were still the good guys and that no, there wouldn't be anything like that. And while I'm positive that there are people on the internet who would gladly and at great length be willing to explain to me how you could totally have suicide bombing good guys, I don't think Firaxis is ready to commit that sort of PR suicide themselves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

Thats not a thing in most missions though.

Evacing is usually the goal, not total murder.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, from what we've seen Evac is the usual exit but in some cases murdering all hostiles also counts the mission as a win.

From my way-late-to-the-party forays into XCOM/EW, it seems to vary from mission to mission. I've had VIP extractions where I get the VIP to the evac point and Bradford then tells me I have to kill every last enemy, cue me scouring the map for that one last Thin Man hiding behind a forklift, and sometimes (often during EXALT missions) once the objective is complete I can just get my guys to the Skyranger and call it a day...though that does negatively impact the mission score concerning enemies killed for anyone who cares.

I can see a balance being struck in XCOM2 if they decide to go that route. In a game where you acquire sweet new gear and skill chips and stuff, not to mention XP, by killing aliens then letting people double-time it back to the extraction point after completing a mission objective is giving them a choice between the safety of their squad and the chance for more stuff, which seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I hope we get to see some of the alien committee meetings where they brainstorm things like the Archon. "Okay, so what do humans like again? Smooth surfaces and...Egyptian gods? Wait, hang on, I've got a brilliant idea!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Coolguye posted:

The vibe I have been getting is that ADVENT is going to provide the filler for most of the game, with actual alien units being the "oh crap, priority target" units.

Maybe. It sounds like they're trying to set things up to the baseline ADVENT troops don't become irrelevant in the mid- to late-game like EU/EW's Sectoids did by giving the aliens the chance to research better gear and augmentations for them, but I still have a feeling that as things go on you're going to see more and more ADVENT troops replaced with next-gen Sectoids, Mutons, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hmm... there's a pretty interesting comment by Shen. Namely, someone (probably Tygen) is constantly scratching the back of his head. Hmm...

Personal Headcanon: Tygen is a traitor, Vahlen busts in with an arc thrower and stuns Tygen, who gets thrown off the ship (in flight), replacing him as the Chief Researcher.

If anybody's going to turn out to be a secret traitor my money is on the gravely-voiced council guy. Like he's just been waiting around for you, the player, to get popped out of alien storage and then he just shows back up like it's nothing? And he wants you to start reaching out to all the other hidden resistance cells? That's not suspicious at all.

I feel like a potential drawback with a big "one of your XCOM team is a traitor!" reveal is that it's going to annoy people on future playthroughs. It's a neat twist once, but after that if you know that Tygen or whoever is invariably a traitor then you're just going to constantly find yourself wishing you could do something about it, especially if the signs are obvious, rather than just dumbly playing along with the narrative. This is why, if I were gonna do something like that, I'd make it random...I'd have it so that there could be three or four potential traitors (Bradford, Tygen, Shen, maybe the Council dude) but the game only picks one per playthrough, and each one going traitor affects the game in different ways.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think you're overthinking it. I just wanna see Vahlen taze people.

Vahlen is head of alien R&D now, sorry.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mod psi amps to look like the ones in System Shock 2, magic orbs you plug into your arm.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just love how Edge of Tomorrow the exo suits are, can't wait to see how they look further up in the tech tree.

Based on some pictures from one of those recent articles that previewed the cyberball it looks like the Crysis muscle suit one soldier is wearing might be a late-game exosuit upgrade...there's a shot of one aiming some sort of alien-looking weapon strapped to his wrist.

Grenadiers as XCOM2's heavies are called get a minigun and a grenade launcher as class weapons. Exosuits let anyone wearing one make use of special exosuit only weapons like rocket launchers, flamethrowers, and something called a "shredder cannon."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kinda surprised after XCOM did so well we haven't seen more Jagged Alliance revivals tbh.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah sorry, I knee about the Kickstarter and should have clarified that I meant something that didn't suck. Not even something named Jagged Alliance, just another/more TBS games with that sort of level of customization plus a roster of unique characters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, adding time pressure makes sense from that perspective. I've literally only been playing EW since last month but after some abortive first attempts I pretty quickly picked up on how effective overwatch slow-rolling is and even the allure of meld.isn't always enough to make me want to risk triggering a Sectopod and a pack of Muton elites all at once by playing recklessly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Superstring posted:

For those that missed this stream:

https://a.pomf.cat/qtrafq.webm

This belongs in the OP.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The sad bit was that the Bureau wasn't actually just a complete pile of garbage, it was actually a halfway decent game hamstrung by a lot of internal development shakeups. If it hadn't had to deal with being saddled with the XCOM license OR if it had been developed with less stop-and-start-over it could have been a really solid title.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HenryEx posted:

Man, nations can request satellites? The only requests i ever get is, like, give us 4 ghost grenades.

Yeah, I had it happen once early-game and they were willing to pony up like 300 spacebucks for it so I was like "yeah sure, I can do that." Once you've got every nation either covered by satellites or pulled out of the project they won't request it anymore.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As someone who is also pretty new to XCOM, my approach to Classic (once I found out that Normal holds your hand like that, I feel you) was to skip the tutorial and disable the little side-missions (because let me tell you, when the game doesn't prepare you at all for the fact that sometimes Thin Men are just going to rain from the loving sky out of nowhere, that is a degree of bullshit I wasn't willing to deal with just then), then proceed to grenade the living hell out of everything despite Dr. Vahlen's protests. Grenade-spamming is honestly a great way to ensure survivability in the early game as well as giving your guys the XP they need to get some crucial level-ups.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StashAugustine posted:

Hey does there appear to be a disadvantage to withdrawing from a mission after the objective is complete but not all enemies are dead?

All signs so far point to the disadvantage being less XP and fewer gear drops since both come from killing aliens (XP doesn't come exclusively from it just as in EU/EW, but things like weapon mods and skillchips only seem to come from killed enemies). Otherwise once Bradford gives you the all-clear you can just haul rear end to the Skyranger.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Darkrenown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsSVUcgUvM

Kinda depressing the guy in charge of balancing Legend is pretty bad at the game. Loses 2 troops on the first mission and calls it a good outcome :(

I'm not really sure I understand the complaint here because I thought one of the XCOM series' cherished characteristics was throwing rookies into a meatgrinder and carefully cultivating the badass survivors that emerge. If I was playing Legendary difficulty and lost only two people on the first mission I'd probably consider that a good outcome myself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kooriken posted:

As someone who is also trying to struggle through Classic because I am bad at vidyagames, I often try to get MECs up as soon as possible. Or at least one. They are so dang useful. Someone tell me I'm bad and suggest something better.

That's what I did and it worked out okay. My first MEC died but by then I had better gear and troops, plus I could just hose the suit out and strap someone else in. Never not be kinetic fisting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Soldiers volunteer for MEC augmentation because sickass robot power suits are loving awesome and who doesn't want to punch a Muton through a car so hard it explodes? Answer, no one. I figure that's all XCOM has to do, show footage of a MEC suit punching a cow carcass into a test car and it's not so much a question of finding volunteers as it is narrowing down the pool of enthusiastic applicants.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All MEC pro sports league.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, but at the same time you can at least swap gene mods out for different ones, if not remove them entirely. So assuming you wind up with enough surplus meld after kicking all the alien rear end there is to kick, worst case scenario is you have a bunch of vets with secondary hearts, good eyesight, and fast healing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CrazyLoon posted:

I kinda doubt as to the usefulness of that, tho. Cryssie makes babies out of ADVENT aaaaaand its 3 kids devour their mommy and then turn on your soldiers next. Great job, psi dood.

There was an exploit of sorts in the original X-COM where if you mind controlled a zombie the chrissalyd that eventually popped out would be permanently loyal to you. Could be a fun easter egg.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

Jake wants to make a fantasy game, and I'd probably play it.

At the risk of dragging dumb nerd poo poo into a thread about a different flavor of dumb nerd poo poo, it's a huge shame that Atari was squatting on the D&D video game rights all through the game's 4th edition because 4E D&D would have made a fantastic turn-based tactics game if someone who gave even a fraction of a poo poo had bothered to do anything with it. I'd legit love to see someone do "XCOM but with dragons and stuff."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

"XCOM in Warhammer 40k" is such an obvious idea only GW would have declined to look into it, too.

I'm kind of surprised the turn-based squad-level tactics genre is so niche outside anime handheld games like the Fire Emblem series. I'm not always in the mood for X-COM (mainly due to the geoscale admittedly, I play the game for the battlescape), but I'd like to see more of the genre.

I think even with XCOM's success and gearing up for a sequel the prevailing attitude among big game publishers is still probably that turn-based strategy games are a niche, and if you pointed to XCOM they'd probably just write it off as a combination of luck and a beloved license (and if you pointed to Fire Emblem you'd probably just get some blank stares or maybe something about "Well okay, but that's different because").

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

EU question, any reason not to take assault rifles instead of shotties on Assaults? Shotguns are badass and all but I restarted on Classic and Running and/or Gunning to close range is getting me fuckin murdelated :(

Run & Gun with shotgun assaults in the early game is a matter of using them to seal the deal or to set everyone else up for an easy kill. Don't dash them out into the open if/when you know that you won't be in the clear afterwards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BenRGamer posted:

Guess I shoulda seen this coming after hearing someone say the Hacking skill could be upgraded via the skulljack.

They just didn't specify what kind of "hacking" they meant :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The skulljack looks like Mass Effect 3's omnitool in the sense that even when you aren't shanking motherfuckers it still gives you a flat bonus to all of your hacking attempts, so it's like a personal computer on your arm that can also be used to stab someone. The tradeoff is that if you have a skulljack then you're giving up an item slot, so until you get Predator armor you're having to choose between a skulljack and, say, a medkit or a grenade or special ammo. So as rad as it is to pop Predator claws and start collecting ADVENT trophies, you have to consider your loadout.

(Who am I kidding, everyone is going to give these to all their troops and just go on a melee murder spree.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Joe the Strummer posted:

Wait.... really? All this time Ive been busting my rear end to save them because I hate watching my G.I. Joes die, only to make the game harder?

:arghfist:

I did this but on purpose because the lives of all my men are important. Actually it was because I was trying to get the All Hands on Deck achievement and I didn't notice it had popped up already so I was like, welp, all right guys, get back to work. I think it's kind of a raw deal that dead base security personnel don't get a mention on the memorial wall.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure, but at that point if a mission starts going south the temptation is going to be to just lead the rest of your troops into alien crossfire to get a redo anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Didn't someone say that GMG was sourcing the XCOM2 keys from 2K directly and not Generic Authorized Distributor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mashed Potato posted:

Where did GMG say they wouldn't be giving out keys in time for pre-load? I had a look and couldn't find any statement from them saying this?

When you preorder a game from GMG you get an email from them that says "We'll get you your key as soon as possible, but we don't guarantee that it'll be in time to preload, it all depends on where we're getting them from."

• Locked thread