Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lotish posted:

I dunno. It seems to me you could have a colored sphere not unlike the free-aiming AoE sphere that deforms based on cover and follows the cursor when you select a unit to move (or only appears when you click on a spot, along with a "confirm move" dialogue). Obviously the game knows where you can shoot and what is in that mathematically calculated radius, so putting a visual to it makes sense.

There was a panel where they went over rejected ideas, and one of them was basically this- it would show you who you could see at any given point, along with range and CTH. Problem was that it looked like a mess (like 10 candycane lines coming out of your mouse.) I still think they should have added it as a button press or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On one hand, 7 gig patch.

On the other, more time to play EU4!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is anyone else not seeing cover icons near their mouse?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Medals seem cool and the new hats are neato. Squad wipe on the first council mission, think I'll restart tomorrow. :v:

:respek: Was doin' just fine til I forgot about a Thin Man on overwatch, killed my assault, support panicks, flanks support while the other guy's can't see him, crits my heavy, then kills my sniper.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 12, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gently caress that first council mission, I've wiped to it twice now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, that's nice, the Base Defense operation name is a poetry reference!

Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.
"
--Thomas Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome

That's pretty cool.

Just cleared the whale mission at the cost of my entire squad except one lieutenant sniper running like hell with two lids on her tail, woulda gotten her next turn.
e: oh god i only have 4 guys left and 3 are snipers

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How many sats fo you guys have ny month 2? I had 5 up but no money for Mechs which meant I wiped Progeny and thus didn't have the resources to handle the rest of the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh you fuckers want me to get every single squadmember to the evac point and not just one of them. This mission is amazing and terrifying.

You can abort ahead of time, it just leaves everyone behind.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do Council missions ever throw Seekers at you? They're always the best place to bring SS snipers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

In other news, I'm doing the Van Doorn extraction. He's yelling "Get over here! Not fair if I have all the fun" as my team is forced to watch an experienced veteran slowly bleeding out. What a dick.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does Double Tap work with pistols?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Coolguye posted:

These are all extremely important questions and I demand they be answered. :colbert:

Read Timothy Zahn's Cobra, it's a novel about what happens when supersoldiers have to go back to civilian life. Nothing about Bradford's sweater, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SeaTard posted:

I agree, gently caress the hats and all that other cosmetic bullshit. It was fun for the first game or two, but I usually just leave everyone at the default now.

I would make hats but it doesn't remember their hairstyle.

e: mech in beret + sunglasses is pretty boss though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lost an EXALT mission when one of the badguys shot and blew up the transmitter :argh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is the EXALT base easier/harder/the same as the EXALT missions?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone else been having weird LOS bugs with destroying cover? I shot a rocket at a bunch of EXALT dudes on the base assault and they all disappeared from my ITZ sniper's view.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I don't know, but there should be. I was ranking up a new Assault earlier today, and her last name was Warren. The nickname she got was "Wardog."

Wardog Warren.

My other soldiers are not creative.
I gave a soldier the last name Rose after a friend of mine and she got nicknamed 'Axle.'

e:

Away all Goats posted:

Man training roulette sucks sometimes. What is my squadsight, sentinel, opportunist sniper supposed to do with Grenadier?

It should work on Ghost Grenades, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone sell me on the MEC ability that turns them into full cover. It seems extremely situational.

With the right upgrades MECs can out-run Chrysalids as well. It's hilarious. :haw:

I use it to grant cover to people who get flanked. For example, I tripped a Mechtoid and a couple Sectoids and he moved to the point where he was gonna flank my Heavy. I used the Heavy to shoot a rocket and then moved the mec to cover her flank.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Which class should I put Bioelectric Skin on? I'm thinking a Support and then give Mimetic Skin to everyone else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

jng2058 posted:

I like it on Snipers. I tend to use Squadsight Snipers who are far back from the rest of the squad. Bioelectric Skin keeps them from getting strangled while they're all alone in back, and the invisibility of Mimetic Skin matters less for them because they're usually too far away from enemies to be seen anyway.

I was planning to put it on a close-up soldier for use in breach-and-clears in discovering enemy spawns. I already had a tense moment where I tripped a bunch of spawns I wasn't expecting in a UFO.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Kiggles posted:

The point is not to detect enemies, but to prevent yo isolates sniper from being strangled by Seekers. Memetic Skin is generally more useful for scouting, since the bioelectric effect is basically only as large as your view radius (if even that), so it is only useful in closed quarters, where simply being invisible would probably be more useful anyway.

See, I know Mimetic Skin is more useful for scouting, but I was planning on having one designated guy have Bioelectric entirely for breaching so I can see where the enemies are on the other side of a wall.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm pretty sure Solomon said that he doesn't want to do TFTD because he prefers the terror of 'there are aliens in my backyard and they're shooting up the 7-11 down the road' to the more otherworldy terror of the ocean. But I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel of some stripe comes out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, they lost the rights to this game after Alien Crossfire, which was super lame. That doesn't stop them from just slapping a new coat of paint on it and calling it Sid Meier's Beta Ceti or whatever, though, and arguably this would be a better route than trying to wring more mileage out of "Lal and Yang are dicks to eachother and also Miriam hates everyone and is more dangerous than the psycho survivalist chick".

It turns out that's exactly what they did!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the use of the MEC's "one for all" ability? Does the MEC still count as cover after it takes a second action? It seems like a bit of a waste to forego an action on your MEC just to become cover, which isn't scarce in X-Com, but I could see it being kind of convenient if you could shoot/reload/whatever and still count as two blocks of full cover.

I like it for when I have a guy that trips a pack of aliens by accident.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

folgore posted:

ITS NOT FAIR IF I HAVE ALL THE FUN

*star soldier lying bleeding out on the ground, gasping her last breath as her teammates watch in horror*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Normal Long War doesn't have gambler's luck, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there any word on the not-so-long-war option? Long War sounds fantastic but a standard campaign of XCom is testing my patience.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The part that's really weird in terms of story is how you need to reassemble the star lions in order to fight the Robeast that appears in Japan during month 9. When you eventually get aboard the orbiting attack barge, Prince Lotor is there, and sure, you manage to kill him using the yamato cannon, but where's Mumra during all this? You only get an inkling that he's on Limbo with Melodia, but Mon*Star is conspicuously absent? During the Exalt final confrontation, if you rotate the camera down to its lowest angle while looking out at the back balcony area, you can see what looks like Sky-runner, riderless, flying in front of the moon.

And how does the conspicuous absence of the Snakemen implicate Cobra-La? We never *See* the leader of Exalt, yet given the connection between thin men, snakes, and Exalt operative's appearance, what else can we conclude, except that it is Golobulus?

If you hex-edit the game, you will find unused text strings that heavily suggest that Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors were investigating the possibility that the techno organic virus which spawned the Monster Minds is truly at the heart of the Ethereal empire. It's possible that, in a parallel timeline, the monster minds developed a stable civilization by consuming various alien species, and then, via the quantum mirror on P3R-233, get a foothold in the prime universe.

Edit: Oh gently caress! Spoilers, but I guess it's too late now.

I AM A DELUSIONAL SHITHEAD DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME

(:v:)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So how long is Long War? Vanilla X-Com was kinda trying my patience by the end, is this significantly longer?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looking at that HP bloat is just :psypop: though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

EW should let you change it in the customization screen, although note that it's just the languages it was localized in, so no British English or Asian languages.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can't wait to see the streams tommorrow, XCOM had really great pre-release coverage

Cythereal posted:

1. The setting. I do not like the premise of an underground guerilla movement in a cyberpunk-ish future where the aliens and their collaborators won.

this is literally the worst opinion in the thread

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

XCOM 2: You play as ISIS

sign me up for the Space Viet Cong

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

I was sold by the trailer, but Jake Solomon's "I'd wear the feminist propaganda badge with honor" comment and the Mospeada comparison have me wanting to preorder the drat thing.

I keep thinking Mospeada is a Latin American guerrilla organization .

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To people talking about TFTD: the stated reason they don't want to do it is Solomon feels XCOM is more 'about' aliens invading people's normal lives and the otherworldly TFTD environments take away from that

Mister Bates posted:

Am I the only one who actually thinks it sounds really cool? :( I like the idea of a guerrilla-tactics game, it's actually something I've been pining for a long-rear end time and have never been able to find one to scratch the itch. JA2 was close, but the way mercs worked in the game meant that you basically had to savescum, as you can't afford to lose more than five or six soldiers over the course of the campaign.

I loving love asymetrical warfare and insurgencies in games so I'm super pumped for this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

When Nag the basking cobra hears the careless foot of man,
He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can.
But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Spudd posted:

If I find the snakelady attractive am I a bad person?

No, no, just fine.

*scribbles name in black notebook*
e:

Zomborgon posted:

Kinda reminds me of Space Alert.

General impressions I got from people who'd played it was "It's not bad but why aren't you just playing Space Alert instead?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

no thread turn back

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

so this is a honeypot thread right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

smh if you're not excited to join the space IRA

• Locked thread