Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I have a couple of questions, since I've watched a fair bit of Long War modding talk in here:

1.) Does the Base Defence mission still have the prerequisite of having to raid an Alien Base first, before it can happen, in Long War? I assume yes, since the times I had it happen all occured after in my Brutal playthrough, but I can't be certain.
2.) Is there any way to modify when it occurs within the current Long War .ini files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Thank you so much for taking the time in answering Not A Step, just two points I need clarification on if you happen to know:

Not a Step posted:

Base defenses in Long War are triggered by an internal counter that starts at 0 and goes up by 1 every time the aliens are at high resources (3 or 4) and XCOM has high threat (4).

I followed the long war wiki's point until now, which says you need both to be high, but the way you talk about it in the next paragraph makes it sound moreso as if the high resources (3 or 4) add a point and the high threat (4) ALSO adds a point. This is contrary to my former belief, that only high resources + high threat = a point towards base defense possibility. Is it the former (where potentially only high resources or high threat would be enough to eventually result in base defense) or the latter (where you need both consistently for it to happen)?

Not a Step posted:

So if you assault a landed harvester that's 2 threat.

Does merely an attempted assault and then aborting the mission/everyone dying count, or does it have to be a successful mission only that generates 2 threat?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Thanks for the link and answers. I got what I need. :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You need luck on Impossible, it's almost always possible on Classic

Pretty much this. If the difference between vanilla Classic and Impossible has ever proven a saying, it would be this: "It's good to be good (Classic) but it's better to be lucky (Impossible)."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Uncle Jam posted:

Hot drat if they combine XCOM with Pirates! I may never play another game ever again.

If someone did a good fullblown mod with that in mind, my life would probably be ruined due to how much I'd play the poo poo out of it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you don't want an xcom pirates mod trust me

Travel from city to city, seduce the snek and deliberately stumble over her tail repeatedly as you miss the music cues. What's not to like?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DMX remixes are the best (better than his originals anyway) and XCOM is the best.

Therefore, this is the best song.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Yami Fenrir posted:

"Your sniper missed the 99% shot and that angry muton is about to add a few orifices to your assault? No problem! Buy a reroll today!"

Jake Solomon's protection racket, folks! The future of XCOM!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
While we're back on this subject, I just came up with another question to hassle folks over that I can't quite find an answer for looking through files/forums. Is it possible to quickly and easily mod the date at which the specific alien units/races (for example, Cyberdiscs in June being modded to show up in July or in May instead) show up during Long War and if so, how?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Marbz is a little bit of a guy who quips in patterns, which gets tiresome if you follow him for a long time,

I'm curious by what you mean with 'quips in patterns'. You mean kinda opposite to 'stream-of-consciousness' he says something, then does a lot of thinking internally, then jumps to the next thought he arrived without letting the viewer know the process?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Ah well...3 more months of fawning over snektits and multi-thread bitching I guess... :toot: At least there's also some promising mod talk too.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Not a Step posted:

I actually liked most of Long War's gruelingly tough tactical game (not the absurd defense + DR combos some enemies can get though) but hated the overlong strategic game and crappy perk balance.

This really sounds like right up my alley, right down to the DR + defense combos being absurd sometimes. Can't wait to see it and will do my best to provide feedback, if you like. :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
With all due respect, most 'goon mods' for games are completely retarded horseshit that try too hard to run into the absurd to escape any sort of criticism.

That being said, they are also mostly well-crafted retarded horseshit. So if you like, sure.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Deltasquid posted:

Also, don't medics sometimes say "quit your bitchin' " when healing someone? I think I remember that, too.

I find the medic saying "Quiet ya big baby, you'll be fine!" on a barely alive assault, that survived a Muton Berserker bash beforehand, to be far more offensive than any potential type of swearing.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Yami Fenrir posted:

But that's their job? I don't understand.

He got dealt a really bad hand, from happily owning Mutons in close quarters with CSS, to a flanking cyberdisc pod and then the piece of poo poo Berserker finally finds his brains, drops from the roof of the UFO, where his pod originally activated, and almost offs him...and to have that medic just say that at the end of it all - THAT HURT MAN! :(

Anyway, let's just go back to talking about whatever. The more XCOM 2 news there'll be, the more it'll be talked about and the less modding talk there'll be. People will talk about whatever they like to talk, go figure. And to the above spat, stop caring so goddamn much, all of you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't we talk about, I dunno, ANYTHING else? Like your least favorite class. Its snipers, they suck and I never use them.

Of vanilla, I remember snipers also being it, primarily because they don't start with squadsight and :laffo: at having them grenade enough aliens to death (their low health would usually make them be targeted by aliens otherwise) so they could become, yaknow, actual snipers.

Of Long War (and not counting the MEC classes, where there are obviously several candidates) I think it changes to medics, mainly because of how much of a pain in the rear end it is to level them up. Still, they become fairly cool once they eventually get those double flashbangs + 4 medikit charges + triple smoke grenades.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Chas McGill posted:

I don't like rocketeers.

Yea,...they're my second least favorite...but at least their explosives still have a good chance of leveling them up quick, if you use the 'steady' action on them. They level up and by the time of Corporal or Sergeant are killer. Medics don't even have that to help them level up tho.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
On that note, grenadiers are my favorite class easily. They can take cover off anything with the sapper perk for other folks to faceroll, and eventually their nades get strong enough to deal with all the alien swarms very reliably later on too.

EDIT: But yea, Archers just do what Rocketeers do a lot better/reliably.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

How's Long War 15f, fellow gamers?

Pretty cool, though I'm looking towards Not A Step's Medium War variation a lot more, since he seems to aim towards getting rid of the worst persistent parts of it (tactical part is fairly cool, minus the DR, strategy part sucks too much and gets obtuse)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Cool. This game has some pretty serious flaws but I like what Long War does to try and mitigate them.

Long War messes several things up a fair bit, no doubt there - especially on the strategic part. But as far as the tactical part is concerned, I still cannot bring myself to play a vanilla XCOM game anymore.

So yea...overall Long War does do tactical a whole lot better (not perfectly, but still), while sadly making the strategic part obtuse by trying to expand a system that didn't have that much potential to begin with.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Request to change the thread title, since now we know that Dorne comes to us on February 8th.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Not a Step posted:

So in my mod I find myself with an extra perk that I don't like enough to put anywhere. I pulled Depth Perception (+5 aim, +5 crit against enemies at lower elevations) off the genemod tree because its weak for 80% of the game, then its good for hover snipers but hover sniping is already so good it doesn't really need anymore boosts. Its such a crappy niche perk I'm thinking about redesigning it into something else, but I'm stumped. Anyone have any good ideas for a relatively simple passive (situational aim bonus, extra movement, defense, whatever) perk? Active perks (disabling shot, run and gun, etc) are a pain in the rear end to code and I don't know how to call animations.

How about a +10 or so defense bonus that is not added to dashing (since in that case only assaults would be given this gene mod as they can exploit it the most), but that is given only if the soldier has not moved this turn? Call it "while remaining perfectly still, your eyes can focus on incoming dangers better" or something. I'm not sure if you can code that or make it work, but it'd be something you'd slap onto soldiers you really wanted to make sure that aliens did not hit or target (since AI often chooses targets based on how hard it is to hit them, but ONLY so long as they stay perfectly still behind good cover, of course). Yea, gunners (while suppressing anyway) and infantry would benefit a lot, but also folks like medics that you could not afford to have taken out or those snipers that get floaters dropped on them ect.

Just overall it'd promote positional play and defensiveness, in sharp contrast to the opposing +10 aim after every miss perk, which is moreso aimed at aggressive play.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Not a Step posted:

Anyways, currently I have Hyper-reactive Pupils (the other old eye-genemod) attached to Marksman's Scopes (Squadsight comes standard on Marksman's Rifles) along with a small aim bonus. Whatever I turn Depth Perception into would be just a regular perk, suitable for regular perk trees or equipment.

Okay. Regular perk, must be basic passive stat boost. How about a perk, that is the inverse of Extra Conditioning and affects defense? Gives every soldier some more defense by default (between 5 and 10 usually) but the lighter the armor that they wear (i.e. the more mobility it permits) the higher that additional defense bonus (at about 20 at the highest ranges)? Could be a favorite for Scouts, no doubt, but again easily also other classes that wear lighter armors and that you don't want to see taking punishment. Though you'd prolly also have to nerf Tactical Awareness a bit, or refigure it...beh. Problem then is, there's already a perk for virtually every passive stat and adding any more for the same passive could easily make your soldier too IMBA.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Not a Step posted:

I think DR best shows where JL and Amineri hosed up in basic game design. High player DR completely breaks the tactical game because the AI isn't equipped to deal with it. High alien DR is a frustrating player experience and a 'gear check' where you're basically hosed unless you have weapons that can break the DR. And then they compounded the problem by mixing DR and high defense (early game drones, where you can land a 40% chance to hit and *still* do 0 damage on bad damage/dr rolls) or DR and regeneration (Cyberdiscs!) or static DR and % based DR. A few points of DR are fine and flavorful, and the % reduction is an effective HP multiplier, but combine the two on one character/alien and its becomes incredibly overpowered.

The MEC tanking BS is deffo a part of it, but this is no doubt the part of the tactical game that I loathe in Long War right now. I mean, sure fine - I get something like the Cyberdisc having a fair bit of DR and impervious to my assault carbines, but FFS why overdo with DR on drones and seekers during the 1st and 2nd months? Why make me cross my fingers with my rookies while those hard-to-hit and DR-infused drones just keep flying and zapping towards me with impunity, with no way for me to counter it back then other than a lucky rocket? Just a static and non-variable 1 DR on drones max perhaps and 2 DR on Seekers if you have to. In fact...that's my biggest gripe with DR overall - the fact that it is variable at all! Yea, it deffo could be nerfed a fair bit too, both on your own side and on that of the aliens, to the point where you can't expect to just tank ad infinitum with it and the aliens can't get ridiculously lucky with it too, but at least it should be consistent. Not this bullshit, where once I do a non-crit 6 ( 7 - 1 DR) damage with my shotgun and the other time I do a non-crit 2 (5 - 3 DR) damage on a goddamn seeker with 4 health.

So that's probably the biggest request thing with DR for me. Just make it completely static and predictable as you can. The damage variance can already be a bitch on the weapons by default, don't need to aggravate that even more by introducing a pretty highly variable DR component into the mix too. If I wanted that, I'd just say 'gently caress it' and activate Damage Roulette from Second Wave for the lulz of it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm still hyped as hell. And I'm glad I have more time to mess with the Long War .ini settings ect., because once XCOM 2 comes out I know that no one will likely even so much as sniff the original. Might as well have fun with it in the company of others while I still can.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Coolguye posted:

oh thank loving god.

This a hundred times over. It's literally the only thing, that still occasionally makes me rage inwardly with XCOM right now. So glad I won't have to keep reminding myself that nono, see that little step downwards? That means the soldier model can't step over on that side and that means he's effectively blind to most of that entire angle.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Goddamn, they're not making this easy on me. Should I have a full pirate-patch and bandana squad for my first playthrough OR should I go with a full monocle and top hat squad instead?

Seriously tho, I'm preordering due to this. Maybe the bonus does sound kinda lame, but given just how awesome and diverse the customization options shown in that vid were? It'll likely be more than worth it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I really don't get the love for snake tits. I just...do NOT...get it. And I have tried, believe me.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Coolguye posted:

perhaps this will help friend:

I saw that and it just makes me feel more alone. :( But it is funny, at least.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Coolguye posted:

I feel like it's actively harmful to drop too much of a knowledge bomb on you since the learning period of LW is uniquely fun in the same way the learning period of EU/EW is uniquely fun - so just go in there on a lower difficulty and understand that you understand nothing. In 10-15 hours you may decide that the overwrought design and questionable balance choices in LW aren't worth your time, but that's after you've wrung 10-15 hours of enjoyment out of it.

This, a lot. I mean, sure - think a fair bit on what folks like Beaglerush and such do: initiative during turns on tactical, proxy-mine the gently caress out of things when you get them, ect. but...the truth of it is, if you just experiment for yourself and see what works and what doesn't, you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of playing the game your way and in the matter that pleases you. In my case, I came across a pretty simple mathematical certainty to overcome any RNG bullshit in most adversity, which Long War rewarded even more when it threw tonnes of aliens at me: learning to use explosives a LOT. And not just proxy-mining crap nonstop, cause that's boring as hell for me and I don't want the beeping to drive me mad, like it's no doubt driven Beagle mad by now - I just went fullout and explored the pros and cons of every single explosive (as well as explosives perk build) that is ever made avaliable to you in XCOM.

Now, at this point I could :spergin: about all of the finest grained detail...but I advise you to go on the journey yourself and experiment on your own. :) You learn a great deal about it that way, PLUS explore unique strats on tactical that usually wouldn't occur to you (in my case as an example, falling back NOT overwatch trapping and hunkering down everyone, seeing aliens start to move into range and all miss ofc, then unloading on them with 2 grenadiers and 2 rocketeers. Can be overkill sometimes, but it's hard to find anything more satisfying than wiping the everliving poo poo out of your opponent like that).

So Coolguye is very right - experiment, try things out and be curious. You'll be amazed how much fun you can have discovering (or re-discovering in the case of Long War) the game that way. :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sashimi posted:

Ahahahaha, this is going to be an interesting base defense. Here's what came in during the very first drop:

4 Lids (One killed by overwatch fire)
1 Muton
1 Berzerker
2 Ethereals

This is Long War B15 on Classic difficulty. I really hope the aliens blew their load on this first wave.

Can I ask what ingame date is this?

Same here. I'm wondering if the Base Defense showing up of Sectopods and Ethereals corresponds to the Long War Wiki show-up dates, or if perhaps they come earlier/later.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 16, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sashimi posted:

September or October I believe. Aliens have bases in 5 countries too so there's that.

Of the same year as you started the game? Wow...guess that alien tech progression REALLY influences how early they arrive by a lot. Thanks. And GL.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
nvm

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reminder that the Long War devs will supposedly be off making their own game, so XCOM 2's Designated Love Hate Mod is still to be determined.

TBH, them just moving onto their own non-XCOM thing fulltime, while at some point in the future goons release their comprehensive XCOM 2 mod that is aimed as a 'take THAT' at them regardless of the fact that they'll be done with it and move on by then...that would be the epitomy of hilarity.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
And mysterious monk-like Ethereals. I like the new 4-arms ones fine, but still miss that sense of mystery...even if their autopsy was a major let-down. Skinny human-like, might as well put a mirror up.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pharmaskittle posted:

I hope to death that they get super morally gray with their tactics in 2. I know it's unlikely, but I want to see largely human parades, police stations, etc getting bombed because the aliens are an existential threat and nothing is "too far."

Allahu Akbar!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lunethex posted:

You can get XCOM 2 for just $33.74!

Comes with the pre-order bonus.

I liked the greenmangaming discount off the original XCOM I got 3 years back...but yea, that site looks shady as gently caress. Put in some false info and made an account there, and it allows poo poo like a 4-digit password. I know I'm suspicious as hell.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dervyn posted:

Letting your men be captured by aliens is condemning them to a fate worse than death. Hope there are consequences if this happens as in giving the aliens more options/unlocks in the "dark event" cards.

Or hell, just seeing those exact same captured soldier models dead on a dissection table, when you're raiding an alien outpost later in the campaign, would really bring out the guilt in you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Internet Kraken posted:

What does it matter what the 5th class is when the only real squad is gonna be grenadier, grenadier, grenadier, grenadier, etc.

Was pretty much thinking this myself. I mean...making multiple aliens fall to their deaths by blowing poo poo up underneath them? Kinda hard to think much would top that for sheer spectacle at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jethro_E7 posted:

Guys, havn't really followed things here, sorry. Is Xcom 2 worth preordering, or will it end up like Star Citizen or Rome II?

For the older Xcom., Long war is still the thing?

You missed the Greenmangaming discount last week on it. :( But for my money, yeah - totes worth preorder.

• Locked thread