Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Operant posted:

Xcom tip: gently caress suppression, take 2 heavies with HEAT ammo and shredder rocket, make it rain every battle. Heavies are MASSIVE damage dealers with bullet swarm, a heavy plasma and two rockets (like 20 damage a turn massive).
Suppression is only useful against early enemies because everyone has special abilities to use otherwise. The other problem is that your heavy will usually be out of ammo after suppressing until you're well into mid-game and have ammo conservation. Really, they're just two - sectoids and floaters that are worth suppressing. Everyone else can freely use abilities. The hard part of late game for me is around ethereals and tracking which bastard threw that grenade so I can take out the others to avoid more grenades.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Wait, the funky smoke ability doesn't suck? Next thing you know they'll tell me that Flush gives a 20 aim bonus to anyone else targetting the guy and that Dense Smoke only gives you an extra 5 defense in practice. Also, the extra 20 aim will just make a muton elite seem like any other enemy instead of an extra hard to hit one. I think that's what annoys me about handling them really, not the HP. I think a 4 HP enemy with 80 defense would be worse than a muton berserker with 32 health.

If you bump the difficulty up to Impossible I don't think more enemies spawn for some reason, nor would your game count as an Impossible run for the sake of achievements. Impossible is a triple whammy of harder geoscape, more enemies, and just plain more badass enemies than all other difficulties. And once you've played enough rounds to be able to basically predict most spawns, you do kinda need a challenge, which Impossible does hand out in spades.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

bobfather posted:

Reason 1: Your Shredder rocket takes off 4 health, which is enough to kill...sectoids and drones. However, Shredding people is cool, so I usually keep 1 heavy with Shredder.
Reason 0: Shredder rockets take out cover and blow up cars and gas pumps just as effectively as a rocket does, and removing covering from aliens when you're surprised / caught in a not-advantageous position is crucial on Impossible. Shredder rockets are also nice for whittling down enemy health instead of outright killing them for captures.

My general preference for capturing aliens is to use overwatch instead of suppression. The biggest problem I have with any capturing tactic is in the moments of panic before getting to the final alien and someone able to move in and stun him (without exposing another squad of aliens - the harder part if you ask me), you somehow keep the one soldier that can actually see him in overwatch because on Impossible, you use concealment as default "cover" and you oftentimes can't afford to have more than one or two soldiers visible to aliens at the end of your turn meaning you tend to use heavies with Bullet Swarm and move away. Heavies are the only class in the middle of a fight that can fire and run away, so they're essential for my Impossible games. Keeping them far enough away from my squad to avoid the inevitable rocket miss makes tactics harder (and riskier as you tend to make your heavy the scout rather than your support).

If Impossible difficulty AI is ever patched to be primarily defensive instead of offensive, all of us Impossible players will actually have to start taking terribly bad risks for once. The only reliable way to win at this point is to be as cautious as possible - for either side.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
From a statistical perspective, a heavy with Bulletstorm taking two 55% shots is a world of improvement over any other soldier with a single 60% chance. If you want to play the :xcom: roulette and make life a little more fun, having heavies join the fray with fire never hurts (oh, and also as overwatch-pinning enemies). Also, the dire need to take out sectopods ASAP in the later game makes them important to carry around. With randomized stats, a heavy with awesome aim is going to chew through aliens like nobody's business removing basically the only legitimate weakness of the class.

I think all of us heavy... heavy users would agree though that we'd take a talent that makes rocket accuracy 99% over either Holotargeting or Bullet Swarm. Nothing ruins your game faster than a rocket hitting your own squad. Aside from one incident so far though, all my rocket misses have been only so far off from the mark and didn't insta-fail my mission but there's enough stories of rocket surgery gone wrong that I'd rather keep my heavies far away from the rest of the squad or at least have a 140 degree arc in the direction of the shot open (which usually puts the Heavies close to the assaults).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
On Impossible, most of the shots you should be taking should be done in Overwatch, not ones you aim for yourself (Classic is possible to get away with a more direct advancement strategy because enemies are easier to kill as well as have less aim and crit chance - this was my hardest problem moving to Impossible). Finding waiting spots with both good cover out of line of sight as well as being able to see enemies come in from multiple angles is pretty essential for a successful mission until you're able to let soldiers withstand hits worth a drat.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

The reason Firaxis did this, from a game making perspective, is that it's the easiest and best way to keep the aliens spaced out so that the player doesn't get mobbed.
I'm convinced that while the intentions of the mechanic were noble, the amount of times it's ruined everyone's play makes roaming enemies in general a Bad Idea as well as completely ironic in making players get overwhelmed at the Worst Possible Time and we should just stick to predefined spawn enemies with reasonable spacing and that when aliens call for reinforcements only one (and the closest) pack shows up in view, not the clown car experience.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
It's not a bug, it's an Ethereal mindfuck.

The Ethereals are teleporting the monsters into your squad. And whenever you're supposed to be getting a flank and you don't, an Ethereal has turned the soldier's vision into a fishbowl. And sometimes when they feel like punishing their troops for failure and to make an example of them, they'll drop their asses directly into hell (happened to a Sectopod I saw before with a message saying the Sectopod's chest cannon was destroyed).

Also, I didn't realize until now that if an Ethereal dies, it'll cause a small explosion around it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

A Violence Gang posted:

How loving terrible at this game am I? Next game I start will be #18. I've never completed the alien base; only attempted once. This is mostly on Normal after a few attempts at Classic, sometimes Ironman to curb my natural tendency toward savescumming. I feel like I've gotten a little better at the combat from watching a few videos, but still sometimes can't resist dashing a guy forward to end a turn and revealing a half-dozen Thin Men. I have no sense of the metagame at all. Build satellites, I know.
There's three reasons I save-scum:
1. Unfair bugs that I can't handle reasonably well (the old teleport bugs were recoverable on many occasions). Even this is not possible to recover from sometimes though and I just have to carry on to the bitter end.
2. Just to recklessly run into an obvious kill zone just to see how many aliens run out at me at a time for the hell of it (gas stations are a good example). It's a relief to do stupid crap when you're used to planning every move carefully. When I do this though out of sportsmanship, I pseudo-reset the enemy locations by moving my squad another direction entirely (it was an obvious kill-zone after all) or by just waiting a few extra turns doing nothing.
3. Testing game mechanics basically. For example, I've found a number of rockets / blaster launcher shots that look like they have enemies in them don't seem to obey the y axis very well and nobody get hit. I consider this fair game for a re-do because if I had known the game wouldn't register certain kills that were shown in the UI to be valid, I wouldn't have fired at that spot. I accept the judgement of the Probability Gods of X-COM, that is sacrosanct for playing X-COM.

Then again, it doesn't sound like you're really taking the game all that seriously and aren't putting as much effort into it that you should to be successful at this game. Doing well requires a bit of concentration and turn based play tends to mean you should be playing it more like chess than uh... basketball. I'm an original X-COM veteran so maybe a lot of the tactics are tough to absorb and being able to determine your play style and such is important. In terms of action games, X-COM should be played more in the style of Dark Souls or Witcher 2 than Halo or Call of Duty, although in both of those games perfect execution means you could take out the final X-COM boss with a pistol which I find pretty silly.

But honestly, I think the real reason I just managed to have a 0-casualty Ironman Impossible run is because I've basically memorized all the maps and events now, which is a massive advantage over someone that's barely seen more than a handful of maps.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I just remembered, has anyone else been getting alien weapon captures without using Arc Throwers? Finishing up my I/I run, the past 8+ missions before the final mission have had a number of recovered weapons even though I never brought Arc Throwers along. I only started noticing this when I discovered I had 12 heavy plasma sitting in storage while equipping my soldiers a while back and started paying attention to the loot after missions. In fact, on my last terror mission, I got 32 elerium and alien alloys. Screenshots kind of make it hard to prove it, but I swear on my genitals this is what's happened.

ChronoReverse posted:

*claps*

Seriouslu, I can beat Impossible Ironman but I don't think I can do it without casualties.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123037091

I've got a number of screenshots showing bugs along with the other stats of the I/I game. The screenshots will explain a fair part of how I powered through this game early on leading to a pretty decisive victory mid-game and beyond. My previous I/I game that faltered was not as perfect in geoscape play losing 4 countries.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/djk29a/screenshots

I think I'm pretty tired of the game at this point though. When you've memorized most maps and the few surprises are "how many enemies will trigger due to bugs rather than my incompetence now?" the challenge is kinda gone.

Iceshade posted:

Bomb missions only seem to pop up once per game, though.
Not true, I've gotten 3 on this past I/I game. Never could trigger a power node when your moves were done.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
A random map generator would get you the original X-COM minus multi-level maps, that's what. I'm really curious about the specific technical issues they had with more complicated, layered maps. Maybe the loss of support beams not leading to dropping the structure like more advanced engines was problematic? Didn't X-COM Apocalypse have that mechanic already and you could level entire buildings to clear it? Or maybe they realized they had some pretty awful LOS bugs that were exacerbated by small corridors (don't see how, warehouses are pretty narrow already and that's pretty X-COM to me as a throwback). Large UFO missions in the original X-COM were pretty scary just from how you could go up a grav-lift and be in the middle of an alien welcome party. Instead, a battleship mission barely looks that different from the Alien Base or final mission that's sprawling across the Great Plains of Aliensville. The various pieces of alien architecture are pretty alien and all especially compared to the hospital-grade sterile alien ships from the original, but the map limitations really bugs me especially when I know how complicated Unreal maps can get.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Muscle Tracer posted:

Are you on a console, or a PC? I hear it's not possible on a console, but on the PC you can re-select the unit after it's sprinted and then click the node to have it deactivate. This won't work on the last move of a turn, though, because the game auto-ends your turn after your action points are all spent.
PC. I've reselected a unit before and didn't seem to have that capability during my first run on classic. Then again, when I normally go to a power node, I don't end my move behind one almost ever because they're all half cover. If I'm having to do such desperate moves, I would consider the mission lost though. Bomb Missions are only horrible in the first month when you likely don't have squad sight snipers and heavies with additional rockets to help keep your squad moving forward.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Peewi posted:

Hmmm, that's weird. I just had a sectopod blow up without me having touched it. I saw it in the fog of war, but wasn't in range to reveal it and two turns later there's and explosion and I get notifications about its weapons blowing up.
I've seen it happen before. I think what happens is that an enemy group teleports over an infinite gap and falls through the map until the bounding box is hit. This seems to affect sectopods and their drones more than other enemies with my anecdotal evidence (it may have happened to a cyberdisc, but haven't seen it happen to anything else). On sectopods I see with a battlescanner on turn one that teleports away to another spot I can still keep tabs on (I think that's an honest bug too), the camera has zoomed in on some enemies that fall through the map and go for at least a mile worth of in-game territory before the alien turn is "over."

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Olive Branch posted:

The cinematic shots always trigger when a kill is about to happen, right? I love seeing it happen when one of my men slings up their gun and frowns down the sights before an alien is mowed down. :allears:

And then the exact opposite emotion runs through me when it zooms into an alien about to make a shot.
I disabled the third person camera for this reason. Getting rid of the third person camera helped me stay focused better overall and kept me from getting complacent as I got those kill shots. And as Beaglerush has noted, getting complacent is bad in X-COM.

Zylen posted:

Yes, this. I have zero clue how people complete ironman impossible whilst taking zero casualties without either spending an hour per battle or process killing when things go wrong.
In earlier battles, I literally did take about an hour per battle as I inched along with most of my guys in a conga line trying to be really careful with the run square to the side and to make sure that I don't have to move forward to get into cover if I did activate a group of aliens. However, as I got past the middle of the second month and I had carapace armor + some lasers, I gradually moved more aggressively, especially as my soldiers were promoted so easily given the massive bodycount. I've posted a bit of my strategies but I do kill the process when there is a pretty clearly unintended bug that my really cautious playstyle seems to aggravate. Sometimes though, even QQing isn't going to save you from a bad situation where if you take a step any direction, you'll trigger 4 enemy squads when you're in the middle of a sea of half cover (see: cemetary, and abductor landing mission).

I/I players have probably played the original X-COM lots or at least finished or nearly finished a Classic game before choosing to stab themselves in their genitals with syphilis-infected needles for entertainment.

Dr Christmas posted:

How do you guys like to approach supply barge UFOs? It seems very easy to get flanked, and the narrow side walkways get everyone really spread out.
It depends upon where you start as well as terrain config honestly, but I tend to stay off the ship for that portion out in the trees and let snipers pick off everyone while everyone else hugs the ship so that if they do see something, that means their reaction shot will almost certainly hit. By the time supply ships show up, you should have some serious firepower anyway so you should be able to support your squad with double snipers, preferably at least one with Double Tap. The aliens run right to the edge of the platform and off to finish their turn thinking that's safe in many circumstances I've found, which makes them easy pickings there. I keep a guy either on the roof above it all to watch for anyone coming out or over by the doors to the cargo bays where many people tend to park their snipers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

Also, holy crap elite weaponry is expensive. I don't think there are any enemies that use plasma snipers or alloy cannons so I had to build those myself. I've been capturing mutons left and right for their plasma weaponry, but I can't get a heavy plasma to save my life. I had 2 separate heavy floaters down to 1 HP. Failed the stun on one. On the second, running up next to it spawned 2 mutons and a berserker and I had to run for my life instead.
I recommend getting even more engineers to reduce the cost substantially. In my last game I finished with 6 workshops and had 7 at one point before I started messing around and trying to get the Oppenheimer achievement (seriously, how anyone can get that without going more than a year into the campaign or picking only scientists for abduction mission rewards is beyond me). Enemies start sporting heavy plasma toward the very end of the game (Muton Elites will carry them first I believe, then Heavy Floaters) and will have far better aim than your heavies to boot while your guys are only on plasma rifles otherwise. Given how much heavy plasma crits for, the cost of getting hit is basically the same toward the end even if everyone has either Archangel Armor or Ghost Armor.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Robot posted:

There were a few close calls thanks to teleporting and other bugs.

Pictured: beginning of turn 2

Looks like you also had problems with that specific map + UFO spawning every enemy when you're out in the open for no reason. After the fourth pack showed up in the activation animation, I just killed my game... only to get it again without moving anyone at all. So I had to take out whatever I could and pray that nobody died.

The good news was that after all those guys, I only needed to run to the control room and bag the last people.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I've found heavies hit stuff reliably enough (especially with a scope) that it's worth having them spray bullets instead of as just suppression ammo wasters (and suppression is mostly useful for capturing aliens until they start packing grenades every other time). Everyone considers snipers to be carries early on in the game, but heavies are the only way to reliably take out sectoids within the first month on Impossible difficulty given they're at least 4HP to start with. Beyond that, there's enough easy-to-hit stuff in practice that I'm fine letting heavies be more than rockets and aim bonuses. Aliens have peculiar habits upon discovery like leaving themselves flanked often enough they're good pickings for heavies.

The again, I've revealed extra aliens too many times with a short-lived victory rocket after my squad has taken their shots and the heavy is all I have left.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that map reminds me way too much of the small construction yard map where you come in on the two tile wide open gate and just sit by the crane, forklift, and either of two dumpsters while aliens rain down death from across the map at you. It's a shame you can't even experience at least 40% of the map content itself in singleplayer because enemies run at you like it's the running of the bulls.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You did it, you bastard. Now there's going to be Dr. Vahlen alien interrogation porn, dammit.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So was that a bug or do mutons eventually develop the ability to cloak? If so are explosions the only way to reveal them?
This can happen to any enemy in general I've noticed. I've seen a disappearing alien bug happen for: sectoids, thin men, floaters, mutons, and muton elites. Any alien that takes advantage of cover seems to have this possibility. I've triggered this bug before by destroying alien cover with a grenade with more than one soldier able to see the alien and from two very different angles (two sides of a dividing partition like a wall or tall truck). In most scenarios, I throw a grenade or a fire a rocket, taking out the cover and damaging the alien... then the alien is not visible anymore to anyone even constantly tabbing around and doing other things or even moving directly next to where the alien was. Even using explosives again does not seem to help make it visible again. I've checked repeatedly to see if this means the alien can't see you either but at the start of the alien turn, they'll let you know that it only happens one way. So basically, if this happens to you, I think the only way to see it again is if it fires at you or moves.

I wish I could ghost during the middle of my opponent's turn like those guys did. Sometimes I wonder if sometimes the aliens do really dumb things because the AI is being afflicted by the same bugs that we do and they literally can't see us anymore.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You can get elerium for nation request awards. Rare, but I got 40 before.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 16, 2013

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that sectopods can aim mortars wherever they please on the map (except between inside and outside designations) and that other aliens can basically spot for them as a result, which gives the illusion of them having peculiar LOS.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

Which kind of feels like cheating to me since I'm abusing scripted events. But whatever; it's difficult enough that I guess it's reasonable for me to abuse the game a bit.
In Impossible, the game basically cheats against you in so many respects (increased enemy health and accuracy + the insta-full panic when a country is ignored from an abduction mission) that you shouldn't feel bad for taking advantage of mechanics. Pack on the various stupid bugs that happen through many people's games and you should be timing missions and spreadsheeting for a good first month.

Ironman Impossible isn't impossible whatsoever if you get a good first month seed going with missions popping up at the right points and you crush the battlescape in your first month. That one zemalf guy on Youtube literally had a perfect month basically in his I/I playthrough and that probably propelled him through the rest of the game.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
For all you Macfags like yours truly, X-COM is invading your OS X environment.

http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/360/

quote:

Today, the awe-inspiring possibility that we are not alone in the Universe became an alarming certainty as our satellites picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition heading for the Mac.

An electrifying combination of turn-based tactics, global strategy and sophisticated role-playing, XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition puts you in charge of the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (XCOM), a top-secret military organisation responsible for defending Earth from an alien invasion. The Elite Edition, exclusive to the Mac, comprises the base game and all previously released DLC including the Slingshot pack, the Elite Soldier pack and the Second Wave update.

As our engineers pore over blueprints for the minisite, brief yourself on the threat facing you and your loved ones by watching the trailer.

So it's not going to be on Steam unfortunately, so you'll have to pay for it again it seems. On the other hand, it'll get you all the updates and DLCs, so if you held back on buying them the value should be a bit better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

I have no problem with THAT construction map, but the one where you start next to the forklift and there's that massive high rise on the left?

That place is a loving deathtrap. I have no idea how to not get both groups coming after you at once. The group on the right is easy to deal with.
I've done fairly well on this map at this point, but you'll need:
1. Squad sight snipers or rockets
2. Some good luck once the aliens do advance out

Basically, I stay in a corner out of line of sight from the building on the left next to the bulldozer. Keep everyone close together for a turn or two maybe. Then move the closest soldier to the dumpster in the corner behind full cover, and hunker down to draw some fire (it's a bad angle for all of them in that corner). Retreat everyone that can't stay out of line of sight from the aliens during their turn back where you just started behind the fence. I left a sniper once on the right before and never moved her during the entire mission. Overwatch bait them basically.

If you have a better time with aliens on the right than left, you'll want to stay with your backs against the fence while you advance to the dumpster to your right. However, I believe that's one of the worst places to go unless everyone is very closely packed because the game tends to pack in some aliens right behind that dumpster and on Impossible you're looking at 6 sectoids probably. So you'll need someone to pack some explosives to take out the pallet cover.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm hitting a major weapon fragment bottle neck this play through, got more money than I can use, full satellite coverage. Don't use explosives or capture all that much.
More engineers will reduce use of resources. I would aim for 60 in month 3.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

Unit testing doesn't deal with interactions between multiple objects. That's the point of mocking. The teleport bug is definitely multiple objects interacting in a way they shouldn't.
Eh... it really depends upon how the code is structured but you could feasibly do coverage testing for the space by enumerating (or at least sampling) different scenarios with line of sight interaction and determining where enemies should be allowed to teleport into. I think a fairly safe bet to start with would be to use both line of sight of the squad and establishing a bounding volume subject to normal visibility range rather than the effective range (of hunkering down) where enemies can't teleport into that spot.

From what I could tell from the game credits and the various tidbits I've watched or heard, Firaxis doesn't do QA in the standard way at all like you've mentioned, but they also shipped X-COM with a number of bugs they knew about partly because they were working so hard to actually ship their final iteration and polish it somehow after spending years flailing about with various prototypes. In fact, this is vaguely reminiscent of the project I'm on now, and our "QA" truly is horrifyingly bad. But for getting a lot of stuff (perceptibly) right with minimal risks to the budget? Nothing beats iterations for delivering that. Except the project I'm on is like half a billion loving dollars and it's falling apart constantly with the goal being to support thousands of concurrent users while everyone's slaving away at more and more features being added because the longer a project runs, the more the world changes and you get crap like Duke Nukem Forever.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Deuce posted:

What new tactics? gently caress if I know. I can barely get past a mission or two before something catastrophic happens.
Overwatch flank to pin one or more enemies you can't get while you take out others with the rest of your squad. The hard part here is not triggering even more enemies in the process of flanking.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Deuce posted:

I've been trying to abuse that more but sometimes it just doesn't seem to work. Is there some detail I'm missing? Like the "flanker" and "watcher" have to be different squad members? The AI has to see more than one target?
This guy abused this during his I/I playthrough for an escort mission it seems. http://www.twitch.tv/notthat/b/374412234 (about 1:20 mark for an example of what I mean by abuse)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The more important part to me is that the snipers have double tap than (dear god, why?) lack of squadsight in this scenario because you need to take out the uber ethereal, stat. If this doesn't actually activate the aliens (never tried to just ghost in first but it shouldn't matter much as long as the uber ethereal doesn't move AWAY from you), ghost the sniper into visible firing range of the uber ethereal and park the other sniper just inside the final room. Everyone else should be able to move one tile into the room without triggering them directly. Next turn, move heavy into a position to holotarget the Uberethereal or rocket his rear end from where he's standing (hope you've got Danger Zone). Run and gun both assaults to try to hit the uberethereal with what you've got and hope at least one of them connects with at least 8 damage or so. Ghost sniper should reveal. Other sniper should move up mirroring the other sniper and fire at the uberethereal. So that should be 6 total shots against it (heavy, rapid fire on 2x assaults, volunteer sniper). Your backup sniper should make it a kill. If not, well uh send in your other soldier to sit in the open so that one of the mutons wastes his turn killing him or even the ethereal. Even if your assaults get MCed and you're in this horrible situation, you should be able to finish the uber ethereal off with your two snipers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Well if anything, I almost wish some of the people asking for strategy help posted videos of them playing so we could understand if it's a style thing, lack of understanding of mechanics, or really bad :xcom: syndrome.

Also, I was a weirdo on my last I/I playthrough and went for armor first. Why? Because being able to survive an inevitable hit was critical for me in the early game because even if your damage is improved with lasers a dead soldier does no damage and I need every man doing something even if to just distract the enemy. No dead soldiers in the beginning is extremely helpful and rushing the alien base before you've got some resources built up. Even with lasers it'll require two hits oftentimes to take out a thin man, so having to double up per alien is really what makes Impossible so hard in the early game to me in terms of offensive capability, which only exacerbates the other factors of increased enemy count, better alien aim, and weaker soldiers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I'd normally say "that's Impossible!" but then realized that was on Classic. This is why the Impossible players stress concealment >>> hunkering down. Because even in full cover when the AI has fairly good cover and you can't hope for a good shot, you need to force the enemy to move up and chase you. Using hunker down to draw fire while the rest of your squad flanks or gets in better position is a somewhat viable strategy as well.

Regardless, that's a pretty serious :xcom: anyway.

nnnotime posted:

What's the preferred way to deal with ironman glitches these days: kill the game, or can you load from a savegame file of some sorts? I may try ironman myself since the teleport bug appears to be mostly contained with the latest patch, though I know some LOS/alien activation bug still exists.
I kill the game if it's a bug that happens during the enemy turn like a clowncar teleport, but even then sometimes I'm too late and the game has saved, so I have to face the consequences of having an entire abductor spawn around my squad in destructible half cover while they're in full. I sometimes copy a save file every few missions or so after what happened where I lost my entire game from a cascade of failures after a battlescape bug that kept a key squad member stuck in place. Just google around for the save game directory location. I practice the X-COM code of honor very much and only savescum for throwaway games where I'm experimenting with mechanics. I'd have greatly appreciated an X-COM sandbox mode where your guys are invincible or something while you keep messing around with the AI, but that's not about to happen I guess.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2013

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Andre Banzai posted:

Holy crap, why is Julian Gollop not working with Jake on the XCOM franchise?
Julian said that nobody came to ask him for XCOM and he was a bit disappointed, so perhaps there may be some business or even personal reason somewhere for keeping him away from this effort. Given everything I've seen, Jake and Sid Meier alone was a lot of laborious creative work and trusting Sid over Julian may have been the decision.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

e: in fact his whole attitude was wonderful. It wasn't some protective designer irritated that his baby was taken away from him, it was 'you fixed all the problems I ran into because I didn't have enough RAM to play with!'
The cross-complimenting was nice and seemed genuine. Julian really liked the soldier ability tree and the way decisions were made more obvious with their trade-offs, and Jake admitted he spent 5 years coming up with much of the design (and a lot of it thrown away repeatedly) when Julian spent a couple weeks with the general design. The big reason I think Julian has come to terms is that he said that you just can't make a game like the original X-COM now and have it sell, and in the end it isn't so much about what you like as much as what gamers want to play. The talk about the lack of instruction manuals today was totally relevant in this regard.

Pickled Kittens posted:

Shotguns are always awesome, therefore the alloy cannon is awesome.
More like shotguns being assault weapons have the highest single-target DPS in the game aside from Heavies with HEAT (In the Zone for snipers is a sort of AoE to me). But the innate critical chance rating is nice especially against units with critical reduction like the robot bros and ethereals.

Really though, building a rifle-based assault and using defensive tactics + aggressive build instead of defensive build + aggressive tactics is a style argument. I've changed builds for soldiers depending upon what the game's thrown at me for random squad composition. If I get plenty of assaults, then I could afford to send them into meat grinders and build aggressively, but otherwise I go with rifles + defensive build until I hit mid-game or so and can breathe a bit.

amanasleep posted:

Combat Stims does what Resilience does only better.
The gripes I have with Combat Stims are that beyond the item slot use, it's because you have to activate them before use and you only get a couple uses of them in a battle. This makes it kind of tough to justify for longer battles like battleships and even supply ships. The half damage, improved panic resistance, and movement speed are great, but given you typically lead with your assaults first, positioning assaults and timing stim use judiciously can be very hard. However, I did find it pretty sweet to charge an assault in Titan armor against a sectopod and his buddies to draw fire and only get hit with 5 damage because the 1 pt rolls rounded to 0 and he was able to keep a stranded, wounded squadmate alive to recover and get some reinforcements in. Another time I tried stims, I activated a squad, sniped two of the three, and ran + stimmed my assault ahead only to see the last guy run away screaming across the map and wasting the stim while I played hide and seek. But for multiplayer Combat Stims are an obvious win to me in addition because the AI enemy movement is so fickle compared to a human player.

In any case, I don't really see much point arguing over stims, ghost, titan, etc. for PvE because in practice if you get those items it means you're almost certainly going to win and it's all about personal style and aesthetics than mathematical rigor. And shotguns win over rifles on style :whatup:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Panic situations were different from berserk situations in the original X-COM is the thing. The XCOM:EU panic system is about as devastating as the original partly because most of us used auto cannons and rockets for a lot of the game and so it'd be like heavies launching rockets at everyone every other mission. So that mechanic may have been a bit more tolerable with the first X-COM due to loadout sizes, but I don't think the way it's done now is quite inline with realism nor even :xcom: moments. It's bad enough missing a series of 90%+ shots in this game, we don't need even more variables to gently caress us up.

Porndwarf posted:

Hey buddy, don't make blanket statements because you don't know how to handle Lobstermen on Cruise Ship Terror missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g
I just laughed like a loving idiot for a solid minute at that video, thanks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

What I really, really miss is that brief period where we got both manuals and intuitive game play and tutorials, making the manual a useful supplement but not a necessity. I miss manuals, useless 'notes' pages in the back and all. I don't miss the time of X-Com UFO when you had those god awfully complex interfaces thrown at you all at once. When I picked up X-Com UFO a couple years back, it made me realize just how big the barriers to entry were for games back then. To really get into X-Com you had to read the manual thoroughly and more likely than not learn through repeated failure.
I think you've forgotten the big game-changer from the mid-90s - the Internet. gamefaqs didn't exactly have everything, and a great deal of the knowledge that was out there only existed in our heads. The way I learned the original was playing through the demo I had obtained from a friend off of a floppy disk (which was a terror mission with Chryssalids) and flailing helplessly with the UI and trying not to get someone killed as they left the Skyranger and huddled like scared dogs around the legs of the skyranger kneeling in the open. No cover was normal and you had to actually perform the step to the side, shoot, step back out of LOS moves yourself praying the time units were sufficient while doing some addition in your head.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

immortal flow posted:

Entering a landed Storage Barge UFO, in the first room I encounter:

2 Sectoid Commanders.

Ok, easy enough. But!!
Next turn, in teleport:

2x Mutons, 1x Berserker.
2x Mutons, 1x Berserker.
3x Heavy Floaters.
3x More Heavy Floaters.
2x Muton Elites.
Bunch of Chryssalids.
And a Sectopod in a pear tree. :stare:
This just reminded me of the 12 Days of Starcraft, but they could have done one for X-COM this past year for promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5m1QJ4F4w

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think that map and the rooftop cafe terror map are the worst maps to have early on (the rooftop construction yard may be about as bad though). This is where you must have some good ranged engagement options like a squadsight sniper or heavy available, and so his previous injuries came back to hurt him on this map. To win on that map, I've used the first bus stop and the fire hydrant to get myself control of the middle of the map. The left side of the map is a no man's land, which means that if you trigger anything on that side and force them to come after you in overwatch traps and put them next to the cars rather than you, you can get the upper hand by feigning a retreat (which is what's done on the other side if you try to advance forward). From there, you can grenade from the safety of the bus stop with or without overwatch concerns. If you're lucky the mind melder will be next to a car (the one on the left is usually taken). So basically I disagree with his notion of you must advance on that map or die, especially when it comes to the first pack.

The tricky part to that tactic is to get the AI to see you, pull your bait out safely (this is risky admittedly but this is where I hunker down by the fire hydrant to draw fire first), and then observe them moving next to the car rather than the fire hydrant. I hunker down in partial cover intentionally with someone to the side and use dash for overwatch-breaking - this should make it the closest to lightning reflexes for non-assaults. Half cover can be used strategically in this way, not just as a stop-gap piece of cover.

Also, I think he was screwed by the hidden activation bug with the first death and that's where things went wrong mostly.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Here's the flank / overwatch bug from the AI in rough approximation that I've observed:

1. If you have a flank / exposed target available, take the shot
2. If you are on overwatch, do not move. Fire if you are not being suppressed and certain conditions make it a safe bet. You may use abilities if available.
3. If you are being flanked, move away. Withhold actions until not being flanked (this may be implemented similar to "reserved" TUs from the first X-COM and would explain nothing happening at all despite actions being available).

2 and 3 conflict when you flank and overwatch the unit because movement choice is higher weight but not high enough to override 1. 1 is a higher priority and will override the others. Whether you take a shot is pretty crude and not a full picture from that logic though - this is the biggest mystery for me at present (grenades happen with multiple targets in range and such). 3 also explains aliens that will move out and then move back in certain situations (to avoid ending the turn flanked). There is evidence that Sectoids and Mutons hunker down but it's so rare I think it hardly matters.

I do not think the AI has conditions for weighing some of the rock and hard place calculations that we make like sacrificing one soldier for another or sprinting when under overwatch. I don't think it understands damage calculations really either - it'll take a shot at a soldier even though there's no way it'll do the job. It clearly understands cornering tactics though, that's for sure.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
"Oh great, wasted a reaction shot on a loving dog again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Iterative / agile development is oftentimes an excuse at the management level for "I have no loving idea what the hell we want to build, so we'll build 20 things and hope one of them works well enough to polish into a shiny turd." To be fair, that's the default for most software projects in general because most people jump into software projects going "MONEY! MAKE STUFF! BUZZZZWOORDDSS! GO GO GO." I wish I was exaggerating.

• Locked thread