Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
After having not played X-Com since launch, I finally got EW. I am really enjoying using all three of the random stat/training options. I am finding Low Profile to be great on Assaults when combined with Mimetic Skin, it lets me dash ahead like the casual I am and scope things out without getting hosed as much. I also haven't lost any countries, and the only save scumming I have done are in-battle when I gently caress up clicking something like doors or Melds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Okay, just finished the Exalt stuff and am up to activating the Gollop chamber. I am finding Training Roulette to be 30% fun 70% annoying, in that EVERYONE seems to get at least one medkit choice shoved into their roulette. I did end up with a sniper with HEAT ammo, which was nice, but not a single Colonel out of ~10 with Gunslinger for a good Operative, but Low Profile+Mimetic Skin on an Assault worked out well enough.

What are the best combos for different classes? I can't figure out how to make bringing a Support not feel like charity instead of another Heavy or Assault after about halfway through the game when I don't really need smoke. I guess I'll bump it up to Classic next time.

EDIT: Also I forgot how annoying Sectopods are. Do they get 50% damage reduction or something?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

It would at least be hella dope if it showed when it was on Overwatch. Taking 8 damage to the dome from max range when there is seemingly no way to see it coming aside from "there is a Sectopod on the map" isn't very fun.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Is... Is there a way to edit the Training Roulette file for each class? Or is there a mod or something?

:negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Wait, MECs don't inherit any stats from their parent class at all? So I can use the mediocre soldiers I end up with as chop shop fodder?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I know I'm a needy scrub, but with Training Roulette and certain skills going better with some than others I wish the entire tree was visible from the start. It's actually nice getting premade dudes as rewards at this point because I can know if this Heavy is going to be an AoE Suppressing Holo-Targetting Bomb Fucker or something else. I'll try out that CE table though.

EDIT: Oh, a mod exists. :D

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 9, 2014

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Holy loving poo poo. I haven't been on Nexus Mods in years, and can't remember the username attached to my email account. I also can't sign up a new account under the same email, and there are no tools whatsoever for finding a lost username. I tried to open a support ticket, filled out all my info, and it won't let me use my email unless I sign in. What a piece of poo poo site, but I can't download the goddamn mod without signing in to their stupid forum for some reason. Is there a way around this, or am I going to have to make a throwaway email?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

MrBims posted:

You have only one email address?

How have you gotten around on the internet this long?

The opposite actually. I used to have more but only need one anymore. Why would I need more otherwise?

EDIT: Used the + trick to register with my email again, which worked, but I can't login using that info because I assume the site can't figure out what to do with the +. My mind is blown as to how bad this is. Whatever, made a fake email. I can't fathom why they gate free community-made downloads behind a free registration to a forum people might not want to go to.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I can't find any useful mod on Nexus, so:

How can I change either the placement or amount of steam vents in the base? Getting hosed with either only one steam vent or having all of them on the sides of the third and fourth levels three restarts in a row is annoying, so I figure I would change the ini to max out vent spawns, but when I change it nothing happens. I tried both the base XCom folder as well as the XEW version, and neither has worked.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

It was showing "Locke Dunnegan", which isn't a valid username. When I put that username in for a password reset, the email never arrived.

Thanks for the kindness.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Holy crap, the cryssalid fishing tanker mission is so much easier with two MECs standing in front of the holes of the ship punching and shooting holes in the fuckers as they come scrambling out. I waited until the last turn just picking them off for bonus experience for my lowbies. :3:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Haha, just found out that the "intel scan" is the button I'm supposed to push to scan for Exalt bases. First play through I only did the missions as they came to me, so I didn't take out their base until like a week before the end mission. I was scouring the drat screen wondering how the hell I scan a country time and time again, but this game I swept across the button and it lit up!

I'm dumb.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I am pretty sure that is the whole reason for the inclusion of Meld canisters in maps. Playing slow and steady may make for best play, but you miss out on a ton of Meld. Similarly, Seekers were put in to combat extreme long range Squadsight Sniper play. I like both of those ideas to shake up play.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I tried the vent edit and it didn't work. I read something about needing to change it in multiple files and recompiling the .exe but I didn't want to gently caress up my game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Cosmic Afro posted:

Since the subject of buying the game and the ATROCIOUS conversion rate of the Australian and Canadian dollar is causing a lot of suffering, I am going to repost this since this may help some people! Figure it would not hurt to share it again.

Green Man Gaming is having a 25% off coupon for upcoming games of 2016. It ends on the 12th.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/most-anticipated-2016/?utm_source=neolane&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20151226_newsletter_email_A

This includes XCOM 2. I got the Digital Deluxe Version, it saved me a good 30 bucks.

Also! I am kind of hopeful of XCOM 2's modding capabilities if it was that easy to change the files and system numbers like Beagle did. I mean, he did that in, what, just a few minutes? Think of the stuff motivated people will be able to do.

From a few pages ago, but I tried this, and now it's stuck on a "Enter your Playfire password to verify your account" screen no matter where I click. I've never heard of Playfire so I guess I'll miss this discount. :(

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

What the hell is Playfire? Once again I try to log into GMG and it forces me to a page that only tells me to enter my Playfire password to continue, but I don't have an account with that site. No matter where else I click on GMG it just reloads the Playfire password page. I gave up and went to Playfire, tried to create an account, and it says I already have an account with that email. I try to log in using my email and my GMG password (it says I can do this during the botched account creation), and it doesn't work. So I can't create or log in to Playfire, and can't log in to GMG because it wants both GMG and Playfire log in credentials.

I have no idea what Playfire is and my only experience with whatever it is so far only makes me really want to never use it because of this poo poo. What does a website force me to have/create an account to an unrelated site? I just want to give them money for a preorder. :smithicide:

I at least sent a support request to Playfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

The first mod I get is going to be Mutits and Andromedongs. How about you guys?

• Locked thread