Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm at a weird place right now. When I play normal I'm good the entire game. When I play classic I can hold my own until the Mutons show up then they always wreck my poo poo. I'm kind of wishing there was a middle ground between the two right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Whats your tech level usually at by the time the mutons show up? Ideally you want to at least hit lasers and carapace before then.

Usually carapace but not lasers yet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish that I was not really terrible at this game so I could play it on Classic! But I'm pretty bad at it. So I'm playing on normal.

Also I wish there would be at least one oriental voice (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc) but I'm glad to see that at least they've expanded upon the 'american-accented english only' voices that there USED to be.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 14, 2013

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I am curious as to why there is a Japanese and Korean translation, but no Japanese/Korean audio. They have more voice actors than regular actors in Japan.

Would pay for a Norio Wakamoto MEC Trooper.

Goddamnit now I have this image in my head of an XCom soldier screaming like a japanese anime schoolgirl AND IT IS HORRIFYING.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So... the new guy upgrade where you get to see what classes rookies will become is gone now? Or do I have to unlock it some other way?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

New hair, hats, paint colors apply to weapons.

Also new weapon looks from the EXALT stuff.

Rascyc posted:

So I thought the tanker with the sharks/etc mission was the first Progeny mission, but it isn't. Does the tanker mission actually belong to a particular arc? I didn't seem to trigger that particular mission in my current game.

Nope it's just a one-off. A drat GOOD one-off though.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 15, 2013

khy
Aug 15, 2005

XCom why do you never cease to amaze?

I was doing a covert ops mission. My Covert guy had just hacked two comm relays and was on his way to the extraction point. A sniper was covering the point from the roof, and my MEC Trooper was standing by nearby.

Two EXALT spawned near the extraction close to one another - one ran to a car, the other to a garbage can two spaces away. The MEC trooper moved up to the latter and used kinetic impact on him.

Now I KNOW how the rocket punch works. It hits the person AND a few spaces behind him to destroy cover. But that isn't what it looked like. What did it look like?

It looked like my MEC trooper punched the first EXALT so hard that the corpse blew backwards into the car and caused the loving car to blow up, killing the second EXALT. It looked like my giant biomechanical monster actually blew up a car with a dead body by punching it THAT loving HARD. Like something out of a Michael Bay movie or anime or something.

It looked glorious and beautiful.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 16, 2013

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nebiros posted:

Ran into a pretty funny situation with the comedy option fist, had a Seeker strangling a heavy and I didn't know you couldn't punch them off. The angle I was at, the game let me punch anyway and it looked like I had targeted the Seeker. Instead, it turns out my cyborg had punched the invisible Seeker without any way of knowing it was there.

I love the flamethrower for being a goddamn flamethrower and all.

But the more I use the rocket fist the more I love it. Because it's a loving rocket-powered fist that can punch enemies through walls, dumpsters, and all kinds of other things.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wales Grey posted:

The kinetic strike module also increases the MEC's move by 1 square or so.

Which is nice but even without it loving PUNCHING MUTONS THROUGH WALLS C'MON WALES

khy
Aug 15, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

In other news, I'm doing the Van Doorn extraction. He's yelling "Get over here! Not fair if I have all the fun" as my team is forced to watch an experienced veteran slowly bleeding out. What a dick.

His bodyguard will 'cover you back to the extraction point' or something BUT THEY HAVE NO TURNS AND NO GODDAMN WEAPONS WHERE'S MY loving COVER

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, so explain Clormal to me. I like Classic difficulty when I'm fighting and the research times/having to buy an OTS/etc. I just don't like how easily panicked nations are in Classic, and no matter how hard I try I can never seem to protect the whole world because (AT LEAST) one country flips its poo poo and withdraws before I can get enough sattelites in the sky. It sounds like Clormal is what I'd want but I want to hear from the people who use it or made it if it's right for me.

Also, do we know the prerequisites for getting a medal during a mission yet?

khy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2013

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Deal with it. It sounds like you want Classic you just have to be okay with losing nations.

I like classic. I'm just a bit mental about not ever wanting to lose a nation.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like a new playthrough but I can't decide whether to roulette or not. Sometimes it's just so good, sometimes it's just SO AWFUL

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Assault Rifle vs Shotgun : The great Assault Debate.

Sometimes shotguns are so amazing and other times.... I can never decide between the two.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Spiffo posted:

Ballistics: shotgun every time
Lasers: could go either way, depending on what you're fighting
Plasma: Alloy cannon every time.

Disregard that laser deviation if you're running Aggression. Big ol' boomstick.

If you're running Training Roulette then I could see many reasons to go either way. Getting Close and Personal with an assault with Training Roulette is grand fun, and means going shotgun every time. But I like Lightning Reflexes when I'm not Rouletting, because being able to force an enemy to waste a reaction shot can be priceless late-game.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Discussion Topic #2 - Best MEC voice

German female is amazing. Zhang doesn't get a unique MEC voice at all which is disappointing as his could have been incredible.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Goddamnit game, give me a breather. Month two - second week. Still using carapace and basic weapons. BARELY got Squad Size I.

First : That france mission where you rescue the EXALT op. All of the Thin Men were shitheads who poisoned my troops. No losses or grave wounds, but 3 of my main line is wounded.

TWO DAYS LATER (Not enough time for recovery) : Large Scout UFO lands. I send in what remains of my main line and a couple rookies to get them to squaddie. 9 Sectoids, 3 Thin Men, 3 Floaters, and the Outsider. Somehow made it through with no losses but only 1 rookie and 1 of my main line got off without wounds.

Less than a day later : Abduction time! I have 1 main line troop and four rookies. And I had to take a V. Difficult mission to prevent runaway panic.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Spiffo posted:

If you're disappointed to have carapace early month 2 you're way ahead of the game.

Unless I'm consistently doing things really badly.

Not disappointed, that's to be expected. I'm just frustrated because the game thinks that throwing three+ missions at me in the span of a couple short days and filling them with rear end in a top hat enemies that can use an undodgeable attack that almost always manages to wound one of my troops is all good fun.

Lost 1 person on that mission. TWO GODDAMN DAYS LATER the council says "Hey it's time for the Zhang mission lol"

3 Days Later? Terror Attack in Mexico. Thank god at this time the three main line units had recovered so I'm going into battle with my GOOD Medic, my GOOD Support, and my GOOD sniper.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's a shame you don't get to keep all the Chryssalid corpses you make in the Newfoundland mission.

Aside from allowing you to make dozens of Chiting Platings, you could sell 'em for a fair amount.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Would have been nice for an alternate scene if you kill all the 'Lids though.

I like your enthusiasm but I think that you need to stop and think this through. Given that it's a game (thus 'infinite' means 'infinite') it's simply not doable. So let's take that part out and look at the equation slightly differently.

The civilians we see in the game seem relatively in shape. 1 of them has enough mass to fuel the conversion of a single Chrysalid. Male or female, so let's make a VERY rough guestimate (on the high side) of 60kg of mass produces 1 Chryssalid.

Now, whales can easily have anywhere from 1,400kg of mass on the EXTREMELY small side to 80,000kg of mass on the EXTREMELY high side. We'll take 40,000kg as a rough average here.

Now assume that the whale in the Newfoundland mission is 40,000kg. That's enough mass to create 666 (and two thirds) Chrysalids. Add in the Sharks and the zombies and you could easily have 675+ Chryssalids.

Now personally I wouldn't have the time nor patience to spend commanding my soldiers to hold back nearly 700 Chryssalids but you might. Though consider that as the mission goes on the Chryssalids seem to spawn in increasing frequency. If 10 were to burst forth at once I think your soldiers would be a wee bit hosed.

I'm overthinking this because it's 4:00am where I am at and I should be asleep and my brain is running away from me somehow. Also I got kg and lbs confused and was quoting 300lb men and women and that just ain't right unless (insert americans are fat joke here).

Also I can never decide which class to make into a MEC. I know that the defense bonus that a Heavy gets is important for MEC survivability. But the support MEC can provide a substantial bonus to the REST of the squad (And since the MEC has a fairly high amount of health already it's not a big deal if it takes a few hits, especially since I can heal 10 health four times with my ubermedic). And the Assault MEC has a survivability boost in CQC which is nice when you're using the rocketpunch. Sniper's unique ability doesn't come into play often enough but snipers tend to have great aim which is appealing for my MECs.

TOO MANY CHOICES. I have to go to sleep and carefully consider how to proceed with this tomorrow when I'm not tired as hell.

khy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 22, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

You appear to have mistaken me for someone who does not play XCOM! But still, goddamn man. When I think I'm a nerd along comes someone like you. :v:

I LIKE MATH OKAY

And my brain sometimes acts funny when it's late. And I suddenly got curious about how many Chryssalids could fit into that whale.

So I googled for whale mass and I did some rough guesstimates which might be too high or too low I don't even know but they're just approximations.

Stop persecuting me :(

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zore posted:

No, if you have random stat growth chop up a Heavy ASAP. They have identical aim growth in fixed, but in random Heavies get 0-2 aim per level while MECs get 0-6.

Best MECs are always Squaddie Heavies or Colonel Snipers.

What is your opinion on support MECs? They have the potential (2-6 growth instead of 1-5 for Hidden Potential) to be better aim than heavy MECs, and while they don't get the defense bonus themselves they can make the whole squad more survivable.

Giving your squad Skeleton Suits and having a support MEC nearby gives the same defense bonus as low cover.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know how many people just constantly click past the WALL OF TEXT research descriptions but I absolutely love to read them. They're extremely interesting and quite well written.

The Alloy Cannon description is one of my favorites.

quote:

Testing on targets made up of a modified ballistic gel proved pointless, as the targets were completely penetrated by the alloy munitions, despite an average thickness of roughly two meters. Needless to say, this weapon will have a similar effect on any hostile targets our troops might encounter.

Emphasis mine.

For those unfamiliar with this, standard ballistic gel is meant to gauge the effectiveness of weapons by providing similar resistance to the human body. Most firearms currently in use will penetrate 12-18 inches of standard ballistic gel. Being able to penetrate 2 meters of (presumably) more resistant gel is INSANE.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I just hate how she bitches at you for destroying meld that you've ALREADY COLLECTED.

In other news, I had a weird mission just a short bit ago. I'm quite a ways into the game, Have encountered Sectopods and Elite Mutons. Suddenly out of nowhere a council mission pops up saying the aliens stole something from a truck. I didn't remember seeing this before so I was like "YAY IT'S NEW PROLLY GONNA BE FUN".

Turns out it was 12 sectoids and nothing special. 12 sectods against my elite titan-armored plasma-weapon squad.

ADDITIONALLY : Now I know why people complain about Sectopods now. And is it just me or did Archangel armor USED to give elevation bonuses and that was removed with EW?

I'm finding myself preferring Titan armor over AA armor thanks to jumplegs. If AA armor had any form of aim or defense boost that applied while in cover (Similar to the Skeleton Suit which is my ATF midgame armor thanks to the massive amount of bonuses it gets) I would use it. But the two HP bonus seems more useful.

And one final question : I am SO GODDAMN STARVED for weapon fragments it isn't funny. (But I have guided fusion missiles now yaaay) Is it a good idea to always leave 1 country uncovered so you can get abductions? Don't you get zero abductions and have to rely on UFO's for everything when the whole map is covered with sattelites?

khy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 23, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Brainamp posted:

No? The armor itself doesn't give any bonuses, but flying does.

The way it's worded on the armor description is confusing. It says that flying doesn't confer height/defense bonuses.

EDIT : Here's what the in-game description says.

quote:

The Archangel suit combines our heavy armor set with a small propulsion system that allows for limited flight capabilities.
  • Heavy armor
  • Toggle flight mode to initiate flying movement
  • Each turn in flight costs 1 fuel unit
  • The armor carries 6 fuel units; this can be expanded with additional experimental research
  • Flying does not confer the usual elevated-position bonus

I know that in EU flying did confer the elevated-position bonus so that's why I was wondering if it was removed in EW. But if you all are using it then I guess the in-game description is misleading. Wouldn't be the first time!

khy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 23, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know what is happening here but I'm pretty sure I didn't approve this experiment.

Why on earth not? It looks like it's more productive than researching some piddly little laser guns.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish that the game didn't frontload missions with EW.

The first few months are a frantic scramble to keep up with the constant missions coming at you, but after that it seems like it slows down and you're desperately hoping for a UFO to show up because you need more goddamn weapon fragments.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My favorite mec duo.

Heavy Mec with EMP, 'Nade Launcher, and Rocketpunch.

Support Mec with Flamer, Mist, and Prox mines.

Just caught a H. Floater, Muton, and Zombie with one Flamethrower blast. Amusingly enough both the floater and the zombie panicked.

How does a zombie panic?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

How the gently caress does a guy with 101 base Will, psi armor and Feedback get mind controlled?? Oh, he's also an Assault with an alloy cannon so make sure he gets some flowers for that gravely wounded MEC trooper once we get back to base.

Did I mention I was swimming in cash from a Russian arms deal that netted me 1.5 months worth of income yet I'd forgotten up to October to buy Rapid Recovery?

Why feedback instead of the 'stunned instead of MC'ed' implant?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dumb question.

Can I use kinetic strike to punch through walls or cover or something when an enemy is NOT within range of the punch? Because every time I try, it won't let me.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love Training Roulette, sometimes it produces AMAZING soldiers. Other times, well... lately I've had a run of really horrible options to choose from. Supports without any medkit options, assaults with field medic, etc. I was looking into the mod that shows you the skill trees when a unit hits squaddie but I guess it requires 'toolboks' which isn't updated for the latest patch?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Koskinator posted:

I love medikit perks on assaults. They're your go-to alien wranglers, since that role is highly dangerous and they can heal themselves up when things go bad.

But at the same time, holding them back to get my heavily damaged MEC back up to snuff after having gotten mobbed by three floaters at once is a huge waste. I used to get field Medic/Smoke and Mirrors supports all the drat time, whenever I'd get that combo I'd consider my support to be just shy of godlike.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

I've always been afraid to use grenades so I don't waste them in case I need them later. I always suffer the same thing in RPGs, I don't think I'd ever use an elixir in the early FF games because WHAT IF I NEED IT LATER so I'd have about 300 of them by the end of the game. I need to get over that. And I'm sure you're right about my primitive monkey brain confirmation bias - I was getting so exceedingly frustrated that it made them even more glaring.

Grenades behave in an interesting way in terms of inventory and uses. Frag grenades have the infinite symbol which simply means you can give an infinite amount of soldiers frag grenades.

Let's say you make ONE flashbang grenade in the workshop - this means you can equip one soldier with a flashbang. BUT! That soldier can use the flashbang once per mission every mission from then on. Twice if they get the appropriate perks when levelling up (Grenadier or Deep Pockets).

Likewise if you get an alien grenade by stunning a muton, if you give it to a soldier he can use it once/twice in every single mission from then on but you can only equip ONE soldier with it. If you use the alien grenade foundry project then the alien grenades become infinite, which doesn't change how they work for a single soldier, but instead allows all your soldiers to be equipped with them.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have such a huge xcom boner right now

Firaxis I'm trusting you not to gently caress it up. I loved EU and EW so much. PLEASE BE GOOD. PLEASE.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I realize that not everyone will like everything but after how amazing and fun EU was (And EW) I would have hoped that certain people would be cautiously optimistic instead of outright dismissive and cynical about this.

I mean, if you dislike the sword wait a month and someone will likely have replaced it with a military-style combat knife. Don't the current body armor models have a combat knife sheathed somewhere on them? If they don't they should. It fits the rest of the aesthetic.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Ah yes, as opposed to "this trailer is great and the game is great based on hooray Firaxis this looks great!"

How about "This trailer really didn't appeal to me but since details are still somewhat scarce and we're still half a year from release there's time for Firaxis to surprise me by producing a game just as fun (if not more) than its predecessor"

Or are you saying that even if they produce amazing gameplay which meets or exceeds all expectations you'll still take a pass on it solely because of the setting and aesthetics shown so far?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Having re-watched the trailer a few times I think that it's a possibility that the snakeperson doesn't have tits and that's just how the armor looks.

EDIT : Except I just saw the twitter so welp.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 1, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bholder posted:

I'm surprised there are people who actually like vanilla's "countdown of death" abduction system.

This is from many pages ago but what's the 'countdown of death' abduction system because I've played a LOT of vanilla and don't quite know what you're talking about.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am replaying XCom and I am enjoying it, but i'm wondering what I can do to sort of help bring back some of the novelty that was lost when I played it ten times previously.

Like, usually I would turn to mods but i'm not sure other than the 'long war' mod (Which IMO changes too much) what mods can help add a little spice back to the game.

Also is it just me or do genemods really seem lackluster compared to MECs

And why is it that aliens don't follow the 'if they see you overwatch they don't move' rule because I lose so many stun targets because they're just too far for my arc-thrower wielders to get in range and they move while overwatched and get gunned down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

If you want novelty you should try Long War with the list of mods linked in the OP.

E: whoops totally missed that you've already tried it. There aren't really any other mods for EU/EW though.

I guess to be clearer, I'm hoping for mods that add small, subtle changes as those usually end up being more interesting to me than mods that revamp absolutely everything

• Locked thread