Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

redreader posted:

It this skills-based like demon's souls/bayonetta or is it rpg-style, where your stats matter more than your reflexes? I know in demons/dark souls and bayonetta, you can grind for better stuff... but actual player skill is the most important thing, unlike (for instance) a traditional JRPG where it's stats-based and tactical thinking. Where does this fall in the spectrum?

I'd say probably the closest thing I could compare the combat to would be a faster-paced, more action-y Dragon's Dogma (which I really liked). Particularly in the way that different spells have such very different mechanics and controls. Some use a simple lock on but need to be charged, there's lobbed projectile attacks that need to be aimed, one that locks onto multiple parts at once (similar to the Dragon's Dogma magic archer skills) fast melee weapons, big, slow melee attacks/combos, active shields, and so on.

Theres elemental weaknesses, weak/breakable bodyparts, and you can do combos like building up a bunch of freezing attacks until the boss is frozen solid for a few seconds, then shattering him using lightning skills, things like that.

It's similar to Dark Souls/Monster Hunter-style games in that the boss fights tend to be long and you have a limited ability to heal so there is definitely an emphasis on avoiding damage. Offensive skills also have limited charges, but there's usually smaller monsters that come out periodically during longer boss fights that you can kill/sacrifice to recharge them. So there's also that sort of tactical element where it's important not to waste your skills.

I've only played the Japanese demo so I can't comment on the endgame, but it definitely seems like the kind of game that you can beat with poo poo gear and a lot of skill/patience, but there's also plenty of RPGish grinding you can do to make it easier.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

For the vacuum attack you just have to hold sprint and run away. Alternate, better strat is to take the AOE heal skill and use it during that attack. It roots you in place so just use it when you get close to the boss and you'll not only not have to worry about getting eaten but will also heal everyone trying to run away.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

What rear end in a top hat decided to put out time-limited DLC at 9 AM on a weekday? :argh:

Edit: 5 minutes after I post they're working again.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 10, 2013

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So I've seen a sigil that heals when you sacrifice, is there one that recharges spells when you save? (Preferably Divine)

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 18, 2013

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

As a Divine character I just took 3 healing spells and killed him with Sanguine Cannon.

For the first form you just blast him with blood, dodge his spells, and then run away if you need to when he summons the golems. You can outrange them and if you keep moving his long range lightning attack won't hit you. Just stay back until the golems disappear.

For the second part of the fight (your spells recharge here so don't worry about conserving them), you can cheese it a bit by standing back behind his left leg and just using melee/blood skills. He has a real hard time hitting you if you stay back there, and hitting the legs will cause him to fall over. I ran over and hit him in the face after that, but I don't know if it really makes a difference or not.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Stolen from gamefaqs (not comprehensive):

quote:

SAME ELEMENT COMBOS

Armour+Blitz

This one is pretty fun, after first blitz hit you are 'suspend' in air and power up before attack. Armour is gone after it.

Armour+Roar

If you charge your roar while in armour it will be more powerful and do a bigger blast. Armour is gone after that.

Armour+Shield

Your shield get bigger and 'shield bash' is more powerful (shockwave).

Bomb+Mines

Plant a bomb and use mines, the bomb will turn into kind of 'mortar' that will shoot out bullets in radius.

Bomb+Terrain (blanket)

Put a blanket, and then put a bomb on it. It will turn into Mario-like plant that will spew bullets.

Golem+Roar (this one don't have to be of the same element)

Put a golem, then roar around it to break him into smaller ones.

Golem+Homing

Put a golem and then power him up by homing spells. Golem will attack faster.

Weapon+Mines (IIRC weapon can be neutral, then it will get Mines element)

Use mines, then use weapon- it will absorb mines.

Terrain (blanket)+Throw, Eggs, Homing

Put a blanket and stand on it. If you use throw, each bullet will power up after a while. If you use egg, it will power up after a while. If you use homing, charge time will be reduced (normally there are 2 charge stages, standing on blanker shorts it to one).

Regenesis Seed+Roar

When you are under regenesis seed effect, using roar will have healing effect on allies.

Arboreal+Roar

If you eat fruit and charge roar, it will difuse effect on allies

Parasitic+throw healing/AoE healing

Put a parasite on foe and then 'heal him' which will bloom the parasite

Arboreal+Arboreal

As was mentioned above, you can put fruit effect on tree you got that fruit from or on another one which will result in different effects.

Arboreal+Terrain Uplift

Put a tree, then do terrain uplift on it- the uplifted part will have roots on it which I thin make it last longer and be harder to break (also, uplifted part should have used tree effect? Not sure about it).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Delta has all (I think? there's a gently caress ton of side missions that you'd have to compare) of the original's content, plus new storylines/missions, bosses/spells/etc, some revamped/improved game mechanics, and more.

There's really no reason to play the non-delta version unless you've got it real cheap/free and don't want to spend $35.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Well I just bothered to check and the side quests aren't all the same. That shouldn't really matter though as there are like hundreds of them and they're pretty much just 'fight monster X on map Y."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Anyone know where I can get Chimera LE/SE?

The only mission I can find for it gives LE+/SE+.

• Locked thread