Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the buzz on this game in Japan? I want to know if it's the new monster hunter or if it was just a promising idea that isn't too great. I want to be excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It this skills-based like demon's souls/bayonetta or is it rpg-style, where your stats matter more than your reflexes? I know in demons/dark souls and bayonetta, you can grind for better stuff... but actual player skill is the most important thing, unlike (for instance) a traditional JRPG where it's stats-based and tactical thinking. Where does this fall in the spectrum?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Belzac posted:

I would say it's a bit of a combination of both where you can substitute a lack of one by being really good at the other but ultimately you'll need to be strong in both to overcome the hardest challenges. There are "levels" in this game but they only affect 2 stats: damage and life. Then there are the spells themselves which you can build up getting duplicate copies and combining to make higher ranks. Finally there are seals which are how you focus your character to the playstyle you've built up. So you leveled neutrally (half life, half damage), got some strong melee skills, and put on seals that improve your melee damage. Hey, that's a nice kitted out character but if you're bad you're probably gonna get stomped by the bosses. Damage is very high in this game, so much so that most people seem to play glass cannons cause the difference from a 1 hit kill to a 2 hit kill are pretty minimal. Just don't get hit and lay on that damage.

TLDR: I'd say it's closer to the Souls series than a traditional JRPG but has elements of both.

SOLD gently caress YES. Thanks for that. I found some import review which told you about the spells/monsters/etc but absolutely nothing about the gameplay.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Please add me (silkhorn on psn) to the OP friends list. I'm in NA and I'll be playing the demo, and almost certainly buying the game on day 1

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently all the psn work until about an hour ago was routine (? ) maintainance that went on for a while and became emergency maintainance. Only now can the store be updated. I think it has been updated this late before so I *am* expecting it to happen tonight. We'll see.... :f5:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Since it's not up by now I suppose the best we can hope for is 'some time this afternoon, PST'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I had a lot of fun with this tonight. I only unlocked multiplayer an hour ago and had two games.

• Locked thread