Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does the demo get any better? I want to love this game but I'm so put off that I'm having trouble. The first thing the demo did was throw me into a fight with a npc against some leviathan thing, I spent the entire time confused about what was going on and not understanding what the game wanted me to do as I swung a extremely clunky camera around.

Then I played a few missions where a NPC just killed everything for me practically and just... I don't know, the game feels like it should be exciting and grand but it comes off as this really confused mess to me. I want to love it, but something isn't sitting well with me.

Seriously; when I played the demo I found myself going "Am I doing this right?" more then "Oh man this awesome!" and that worries me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Multiplayer seems to be where this game shines, had a room with me and a few other dudes and I was the only one to survive Jack-o-Lantern. I revived everyone once and healed up and started sacrificing partners that fell a second time. One guy quit out the second he realized I was sacrificing him so kinda bummed he ruined a cool finishing blow.

The fight went on and my other two partners died and I didn't get a chance to sacrifice them, the rest of the dual between me and Jack I had messages popping up on the side going "You can do it!" etc and it made me kicking it's rear end left and right feel really really good despite the boss being shamefully easy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DrManiac posted:

Yeah what the gently caress? you get a bunch of points and you can debuff the boss.

Going in blind it probably sounds like you're totally getting hosed and you may as well leave. "Man I'm getting killed off by this rear end in a top hat and I won't get anything! gently caress this!"

It's one of the glaring flaws to me going forward though. There's literally no incentive to stay alive, I don't get why you wouldn't just team up with a friend and near the end of the fight bite it just to get a reward. People who die get more rewards then those who survive, it just sounds like a bad idea.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Belzac posted:

That's not true. The sacrificer and the sacrifice are both rewarded with a martyr drops. In addition the sacrificer get the bosses soul which in some cases can be as important as all the other rewards combined.

Oh huh, didn't know. I just watched a few videos talking about it and sounded super lopsided.

Agnostalgia posted:

You mean the whole "eat dead party members so they can't come back" thing, or do they have more tricks up their sleeves?

Wait what? :stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are the movement skills any good? I fused up the feather one that gives you teleport dashes and it's really useful but the duration is pretty short and you can't re-apply it if you're in the middle of using a weapon.

I feel like a ninja applying it then using the ice sword though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8epCz8D2yY

Looks handy to me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry if I missed it but how big is the full game anyway? I've only seen a few monsters (Demo ones and Chariot) and... can't seem to get a answer anywhere. I really don't want this to be a short game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was willing to forgive a lot of voice acting goofs in this game, hell the book reminds me of Wheatley.

Then I used Meryth due to the post above. :stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm SiftRock so if anyone wants to sac some souls go ahead and add me.

Also I feel like I can kill Ceberus like... I'm overprepared but with all the horror stories I hear I still find myself intimidated

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are there any underrated spells in the demo people are tooling around with? Decided to make a Falcon Feather because Monsternip and the Gloves seemed ehh and I'm totally in love with it. Harpy's air attacks don't even come close to me anymore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright I missed it, but why would I sacrifice boss's? I know red levels are more important, but I don't see myself getting different rewards or anything.

Also while fighting Harpy I got a Time Sand spell, I didn't think that was in her drop pool?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eej posted:

Because you get boss only spells for sacrificing them.

Strange, I haven't gotten a exclusive spell from it or at least I don't think I have. I have the soldiers embers and harpies AoE shriek attack.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Steve2911 posted:

So does anyone know what time it's available on the EU store? I don't think I've ever had a preorder on PSN before, does it just get added to your DL list like everything else?

PSN updates whenever they want so it's kind of a "check whenever you want to" type deal

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jesus christ I just finished The Wicked Sorcerer's sidestory. This game is heartwarming as all hell at times. Seriously :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 30, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope there's a boss that counters long range fighting. In the demo I totally ignored it but figured "eh I'll bring eggs along with me vs this big slime in the second magasuar chapter" and now half my loadout is me shooting stuff from across the map then teleporting the gently caress away when things come after me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey add SiftRock, I'm opening a midnight room and going to be hunting mid-level bosses. I don't care if you're like, level 10. It's all for fun!

Edit: Alright, done for now. Few people added me so that was cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just had the game crash on me, lucky it saves so often but still :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stealthed Zombie posted:

At what point does it ask for Online Pass? I put the code in as well and there didn't seem to be a download for it, but I could query the online and pull down my DLC costumes. It's not only when you actually try to play with other people is it? I'm now a little :ohdear:

It doesn't have a download, as long as you entered the code it SHOULD work. Me and my friend were really confused the other day too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you expected to do all the avalon pact quests before challenging Magusar? I finished the main book and he kicked my rear end pretty hard.

I'm kinda confused as well. Final boss spoilers
He kind of retreats to a corner of the field, throws on a shield and spawns 3 mega fire golems and just camps behind them nonstop

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got frustrated at the final boss and then killed him. The end

Ending talk
The save path has you turning into another book to be read... if a sequel happens it'll be REALLY loving lame to have the exact same set up. Flipside you just turn into Magusaur at the end and... just unsure how I feel about leaving that much open, I like the story and by itself it's great, just the endings have me concerned with the plot of the next game

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emalde posted:

How did you not expect that? Both endings are incredibly obvious before you even begin the fight if you've been following the story at all.

who cares about plot anyway this is a game about hunting monsters

I knew how it was going to end, I'm more asking how they'll make a sequel and make the story different going off the endings

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not sure if it's the game or my connection but last night me and a friend went all through one of the Avalon chapters, then I kept getting disconnected with giant NETWORK ERROR! messages. Bit concerning.

Also in the 4th set of missions there's some quests I can't get to and not sure how. I've saved/ sacrificed all the bosses I could and I've beaten the game, I even finished the next "chapter" entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emalde posted:

Just do literally every quest, including the Fellow Sorceror ones and whatever. You should eventually get everything unlocked.

Yeah I'm done with all the fellow sorcerer ones and every single quest before this set is finished, and the next full chapter after those is finished as well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh Snapple! posted:

Alright, boss missions that dump you without allies are kind of bullshit. You pretty much can't gently caress up, and the chances of that are compounded by the fact that refreshing offerings is a huge goddamn risk.

Seriously, gently caress this werewolf.

I hope it's not just me but the werewolf does the most damage then any enemy in the game. The final boss can hit me and do a 4th of my health but when he hits me it's about 2/3rds.

Also I found AI allies in werewolf missions more a hindrance then a help. One story NPC I took a liking to could take a hit or two from it but the other one died every time it drew aggro and reviving him constantly was a HUUGE risk. I ended up sacrificing the random dude because I just couldn't babysit him anymore.

Also dunno if it's a spoiler as it was in the pre-release material but how do you get the Chaos/Savior forms? I want to go Savior but not sure what the bare minimum blue I have to be

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright I burned myself out on the hunting genre and when Delta came around I just was not feeling it. Today I figured I bought the game may as well at least see the story through and remembering why I dropped it.

I'm doing Grimm's second story with the music guy and I noticed everything did really, really stupid amounts of damage to me and it was taking forever to kill monsters (the elf queen took about 40 minutes). I went, grinded and grinded and grinded and I got to 37 blue and 40 red and tried again and it took he exact same amount of time.

I'm using all gold rank weapons or whatever its called, using fire stuff and she just will not die and I get bored during the fight. Tried doing lesser missions and to no surprise I tear through enemies like tissue paper so I'm stuck with absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to be progressing because either I fight things that die when I sneeze at them or they take 40 minutes and are a terrible slog. Can I get some advice because I'm getting (old I admit) buyers remorse which is terrible as I liked vanilla quite a bit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do allies level up just by being used a lot?

I had imported my completed save so it has every story mission marked off as clear and not sure how much it would help anyway considering I'm set to a NPC I can't swap out during the factions pacts.

Also not sure how to fuse black spells either, I figured if there was anyhing past gold I'd need 2 3 star spells with a gold border but I guess that's not the case?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ended up making a black spear and ended up melting everything with it. That's some drat wonky balance.

Regardless finished Delta's story and... wow way to drop the ball :effort: I was really getting into a conclusion of this and got invested... then the same exact cutscene from the first game played, only redubbed

I mean I get it, gotta leave room for Soul Sacrifice 2 or whatever but c'mon now could of at least presented things differently.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emalde posted:

Did you finish the original story, or Delta's story? Delta's story has a significantly different ending from the original.

and yeah, single player is not really balanced around you having Black offerings, that's the stuff for floor10+ of Alice.

Deltas, the sacrifice ending is just redubbed with about a minute or two of "hey we're going to make a sequel" thrown in.

Did the salvation ending a few minutes ago so at least that one was new- though in general I'm just curious to how they would even handle said sequel as it makes it sound like your about to fly off into space to fight monsters or something

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whats with elemental hells in Delta anyway?

I can make a plant turret and have it poo poo fire white I spam fire spells in rapid succession and the monster won't even begin to smoke. It says they're vulnerable to the elements I use but it just never happens.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

May be late to ask but storyline question.

What's the importance of finding out who you are in the jail cell. Noticed the Sanctuary faction had 3 stories and listened to them all. Librom was like "golly where could I of heard that name before?" and checked the scroll behind him and... nothing really happened and it wasn't like I had some grand revelation. Is it just there to give you a name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Belzac posted:

Checking the name in your cell is the way to toggle on and off the Delta changes to the main story.

The name is the name of the person reading the book. All events in SS are taking place in a magic book that retells the events of the final recursion.

Oh I'm aware of that. It just seems kinda random that at the end of the storyline "here's a interesting fact about you. Neat huh?"

It doesn't help that when you absorb Librom you apparently become your custom character so the name doesn't matter anyway

• Locked thread