Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
I just ordered the Soul Sacrifice Vita from Japan :ohdear:. Ugh, this game ticks every single note for me, so keen.

The imported game itself is entirely in Japanese right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
April 4th will also have an english VO pack coming in for the Japanese version, so if you're an importer like myself it's quite beneficial.

quote:

You can now dodge while aiming a long-ranged spell

Holy hell this is an awesome change. No more wasted shots!

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
There will hopefully be some news of the Demo later this week, according to PS EU Blog.

I'm just disappointed to see no trace of the English VO DLC that was promised on the 4/4. While I can play through most of the game in Japanese, a lot of the seals make no sense to me as I can't read Japanese, and I'd like to understand the story better too.

Thankfully the game still rules though.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
To confirm, you will have to do all 6 of the Nimyue prologue missions before Multiplayer unlocks. This gives a good taste of what the story mode is like (loving awesome), and will be a good way to get a handle on how the game works mechanically.

quote:

The one misgiving I have is that I'm not a huge fan of the "throbbing mounds of twisted flesh" aesthetic. Is it as omnipresent as some of the trailers make it look?

Having played the game till about the third or fourth chapter, I'd say the game has an extremely brutal dark fantasy aesthetic and the twisting of flesh and bone is quite common. While the Souls series definitely has its dark and brooding atmosphere, this is more violent and hosed up in its depictions. The story itself is also pretty tragic/dark, so be prepared for a pretty depressing and oftentimes twisted kind of art style. Depending on how you are too, you may feel terrible about sacrificing certain bosses at the end. I felt like a dick a few times. I love the hell out of the art style personally and it was one of the reasons I splurged on the SS Vita bundle, though I'm a sucker for all things Dark Fantasy and I can definitely see some people being pretty put off by the game's brutal take on things.

The game itself is really great though. Some boss fights are butt clenchingly intense and the pace of the fights are extremely quick.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Mailer posted:

The spell breaks. You'll see the little break on the icon. You can repair it by spending tears in between missions, just like Salamander. Once the spell is flashing red just don't use it again on that mission or you're going to be burning tears.

You can also sacrifice enemies and use your minds eye (up on the d-pad) to look for some 'geyser' things to recharge your spells. if I recall correctly, one mob sacrifice equates to 3 charges, so your spell isn't useless the moment it starts to flash red. Blood Magic doesn't need recharging however, but it does use your Hp so be careful!

Glad to see so many people enjoying the game though. I'm still trudging through my import copy but am still bummed the English DLC pack hasn't come out for it :(

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
To make other spells and improve your current ones, you need to 'fuse' them in the customisation screen for your character. If you farm say 16 ice shields, you can fuse two together to create a 1 star shield, which only increases the amount of charges it has for use. You can continue to improve it by fusing it some more with the same spell at the same rank (so two 1 star ice shields will make a 2 star shield, etc). This goes all the way up to 3 stars, and when you fuse two 3 star shields together you get a tier 2 variant of the spell, with increased stats all round. With the Ice tree root spell (don't know the name in English, the one that fires ice at things), damage on a tier 1 variant is 30. At tier 2 it's about 70.

Seems confusing and I'm terrible at explaining things, but once you play with it you'll get the idea. I believe the max tier is 4.

As for making new spells, there's a spell creation menu you can go to in the customisation menu. It shows you what kind of spells you can create assuming you have the necessary items to fuse together.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Apart from maybe needing them to create all new spells, fuse them together all you want, it's beneficial. ALso you can have multiple spells of the same type in different slots on your loadout, which is handy if you know a certain bosses weakness and can spam the poo poo out of the spells without having to recharge so soon.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Yes, though that can always be reversed again. Sacrificing a boss can give you an exclusive spell that you only get when sacrificing, though that's kept indefinitely and if you want your AI partner back, just save them when replaying the mission again.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
The max level is 100, though this is as a whole, so if you had 40 holy, you can have a max of 60 devil. Basically if you want to go full devil or holy you have to go 1/99.

50/50 is fine, though for the most part on the JP version most people including myself have gone heavy devil builds because of the dmg output, which tends to be more important than holy use. There's honestly not enough incentive to go full holy or invest a lot in it I feel, though using it in a co-op game as a heavy support role for healing is quite helpful, but one can argue that the extra damage from someone who is devil specc'd is more useful.

That being said people are still finding creative ways to play and the devs have nerfed some stuff that made it super easy to smash bosses (like the stun looping that used to be possible). So I'm sure holy's viability will go up over time (if I recall someone created a build for Holy which relied on Blood Magic, so you can spam to your hearts content using your health as the charge, but heal up and get your health back really quickly anyway.). I guess it really depends on the state of the game when the game is released in US, as the patches are pretty frequent right now and change up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

scissorman posted:

How survivable is going full devil?
It doesn't sound like lot of fun if you go down in a single hit.

You rarely go down in a hit. There are some bosses later on that hit really hard, but most of the time it's 2-3 big hits rather than an instagib. It's definitely a fragile path to go, but it's not impossible.

quote:

Are the movement skills any good? I fused up the feather one that gives you teleport dashes and it's really useful but the duration is pretty short and you can't re-apply it if you're in the middle of using a weapon.

There are some bosses in the full game where movement spells can be a real life saver. So in the right situation, they are extremely useful. Also they let you fuse new spells.

• Locked thread