Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

achillesforever6 posted:

I read Batman RIP for the first time (was at a library and skimmed it) was the crazy Roman Villain guy a reference to Judge Cal?

Judge Cal is based off Caligula, but Morrison did write for Dredd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bobkatt013 posted:

Judge Cal is based off Caligula, but Morrison did write for Dredd
I know that Judge Cal is based off Caligula, but there was a scene in Batman RIP where he threatens Batman with Senator Fishy and thought that a reference to Deputy Chief Judge Fish

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I know that Judge Cal is based off Caligula, but there was a scene in Batman RIP where he threatens Batman with Senator Fishy and thought that a reference to Deputy Chief Judge Fish

Oh then ya it properly was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Cal, i like how his brain is on display in the hall of infamy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Cal, i like how his brain is on display in the hall of infamy.

Which is a riff on They Saved Hitler's Brain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not to derail, but if you guys like the Dredd comics, you might want to check out Marshal Law. It's written by Pat Mills and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill, both of whom worked on the Dredd comics. Imagine Judge Dredd and Watchmen had a baby, and you'll kind of get what Marshal Law is. It's very heavy parody, and carries over some of the best things about the Judge Dredd character (which makes sense, since they share a writer.)

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm being patient and buying the new Case Files (#6 out this summer!) but I'll probably crack and start importing them. Do the volumes switch to full color at some point? I'm kind of annoyed at how the first page of any prog seems to be in color so it looks like murky poo poo in the B&W reprints sometimes, like they literally just put the color page on a photocopier and then pasted it in the book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tato posted:

I'm being patient and buying the new Case Files (#6 out this summer!) but I'll probably crack and start importing them. Do the volumes switch to full color at some point? I'm kind of annoyed at how the first page of any prog seems to be in color so it looks like murky poo poo in the B&W reprints sometimes, like they literally just put the color page on a photocopier and then pasted it in the book.

Yes they do. I think it is casefile 12 when it becomes color.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just got my Case Files today... and found File 2 to be damaged. Ugh, back off to Amazon it goes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes they do. I think it is casefile 12 when it becomes color.

Indeed it is. Early on the colour centre spreads were fairly unsophisticated fills and they weren't always Dredd either, so it was easy to justify having the whole volume in monochrome for the sake of cost. It really does get noticeable in volume 11, where Steve Dillon did painted spreads for his parts of Oz, and as Dredd went to full colour not long after the Case Files converted too.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
Finally a thread where I can swing my dick around :smug:
The first Dredd story that really got to me as a kid was the original one with Chopper, I still remember the final panels. It's well worth a read.

For people that got interested in reading the comic after the recent movie and don't know where to start... it's hard to say without knowing what you found the most interesting and would like to read more about.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did they ever finish Rogue Trooper? That was always my favourite strip, but I stopped reading after he killed the traitor, there was some stuff with getting Bagman back his body and a female trooper I think.

But what were the big story arcs?

Also the Strontium Dogs arc where they took over the UK was awesome.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Did they ever finish Rogue Trooper? That was always my favourite strip, but I stopped reading after he killed the traitor, there was some stuff with getting Bagman back his body and a female trooper I think.

But what were the big story arcs?

Also the Strontium Dogs arc where they took over the UK was awesome.
I was never much of an RT reader, but I thought I remember reading that they did. Looking at Wikipedia though, I'm not seeing any corroboration of that though, though there are a couple of references mentioning his death. So maybe?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Amazon has case files 1 in stock now. I ordered 1 and 2 last night after going to my local comic shop and finding out from the cashier girl with blue and orange hair that they don't carry any Dredd books.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I've been a Dredd fan for a few years now, but this thread combined with the new movie got me to bust out my Case Files. I just had to scan this page from Case Files 1.

:allears:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I see a lot of the collections are on the Kindle store. Has anyone given them a shot? I'm wondering how they read on the e-ink screen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't care if people say you should start with Case Files 2. The first may be different in tone from the rest of the series, but it's also genuinely hilarious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

robot roll call posted:

I see a lot of the collections are on the Kindle store. Has anyone given them a shot? I'm wondering how they read on the e-ink screen.

I used to have a paper copy of The Dark Judges at Kindle size and it was readable, but you'll lose a lot of detail in the art. Don't punish yourself - buy the Case Files and appreciate that Bolland as it should be.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Arschlochkind posted:

I've been a Dredd fan for a few years now, but this thread combined with the new movie got me to bust out my Case Files. I just had to scan this page from Case Files 1.

:allears:

And this is the same Dredd that was called a 'Softy' in about the same era after sentencing an unemployed man who went on a rampage to something like 50 years Hard Labour(Which the man was happy for, because Hard Labour is WORK, and the reason he went off was he wanted to WORK-The Mega-cities have something like 90% unemployment).

It's a little thing that shows what he is. He's harsh, but certainly fair. It's kinda stuck with me since I read it. Yes, he and his are harsh, but so's the world. And in the history, I recall there have been very few bad Judges(Of course, the ones that we've seen caused utter havoc), which you'd think would be surprising. Then again, my memory is shoddy.

...Has there been very much on the Special Judicial Service?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

...Has there been very much on the Special Judicial Service?

Some, but not vast amounts - they're mostly only seen when policing other Judges, and even then serious cases go to the Council of Five. The head of the SJS is a member of the Council (the heads of Psi Division and Tek Division, a senior tutor from the Academy and an experienced street judge usually make up the others). Dredd has been up before them a few times, though, and of course they played a major part in The Day The Law Died as Cal was their head before becoming Chief Judge.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Does anyone have a copy of the Dredd story "The Case of the Urban Gorillas"? It was in the 1981 2000AD annual, and is also in the "Restricted Files 01" collection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the Dredd story "The Case of the Urban Gorillas"? It was in the 1981 2000AD annual, and is also in the "Restricted Files 01" collection.

Define "have a copy". I have RF1 if you want to know something about it, but I don't have scans even if they don't count as :filez:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

Some, but not vast amounts - they're mostly only seen when policing other Judges, and even then serious cases go to the Council of Five. The head of the SJS is a member of the Council (the heads of Psi Division and Tek Division, a senior tutor from the Academy and an experienced street judge usually make up the others). Dredd has been up before them a few times, though, and of course they played a major part in The Day The Law Died as Cal was their head before becoming Chief Judge.

I'm reading The Day the Law Died right now and it is fantastic. Though I'm confused that the non SJS judges are going along with Cal.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Bloodly posted:

Yes, he and his are harsh, but so's the world.

BEHOLD THE HORRORS OF MEGA CITY ONE

:haw:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SJS shows up a lot in the space stuff. The second Liberty series has them as the villains (and both of them are pretty good).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

Define "have a copy". I have RF1 if you want to know something about it, but I don't have scans even if they don't count as :filez:

drat. I didn't want a scan of the whole story, just the panel where the gorilla is being HYPER ACCELERATED. And maybe the panel where he's saying "How now, brown monkey?" Can't find either on Google.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

drat. I didn't want a scan of the whole story, just the panel where the gorilla is being HYPER ACCELERATED. And maybe the panel where he's saying "How now, brown monkey?" Can't find either on Google.

This one?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Arschlochkind posted:

BEHOLD THE HORRORS OF MEGA CITY ONE

:haw:

It's true. But you get a whole lot more of the Weird, Strange, and Crazy showing up.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Dredd in this week's 2000AD is a bit nuts too, what with it having witches, flying brooms and people turning into dragons. Lovely artwork in it too.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not to derail, but if you guys like the Dredd comics, you might want to check out Marshal Law. It's written by Pat Mills and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill, both of whom worked on the Dredd comics. Imagine Judge Dredd and Watchmen had a baby, and you'll kind of get what Marshal Law is. It's very heavy parody, and carries over some of the best things about the Judge Dredd character (which makes sense, since they share a writer.)

I love Marshal Law just as much as he hates heroes. The Batman analogue, Private Eye, is hysterical.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finished the Day the Law Died, and of the 3 stories I read, its by far my favorite.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
I splurged massively on Amazon and got all the case-files plus the four Restricted ones. Right now I'm at about number 8 and so far I'm loving it. Although I dislike how many of the early ones were drawn by Mike McMahon; I really don't dig his style. Brian Bolland on the other hand :glomp:

Any good TPB's that I should consider? I got the one that collects all the Dredd vs Batman and the Dredd vs Aliens one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yannos posted:

I splurged massively on Amazon and got all the case-files plus the four Restricted ones. Right now I'm at about number 8 and so far I'm loving it. Although I dislike how many of the early ones were drawn by Mike McMahon; I really don't dig his style. Brian Bolland on the other hand :glomp:

Any good TPB's that I should consider? I got the one that collects all the Dredd vs Batman and the Dredd vs Aliens one.

America. For some reason it is not in the case files. Also later this year they are releasing Origins.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

America. For some reason it is not in the case files. Also later this year they are releasing Origins.

Origins is already out, if he's in a country where there's eight Case Files and all the Restricted Files. I picked it up for £7.50 in the HMV fire sale, so check your local branch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

Origins is already out, if he's in a country where there's eight Case Files and all the Restricted Files. I picked it up for £7.50 in the HMV fire sale, so check your local branch.

Okay they are releasing Origins in America. Also due to amazon.co.uk you can get the case files that have not been released in America, but they are a bit expensive to import.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Already have America! I got it , I believe, 15 years ago. It's in Dutch though so it has some really funny translations.

Anyone know what this is? Can't seem to find any info about it and it's not released yet : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-1-Nelson-Daniel/dp/1613775962/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360784441&sr=1-9

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yannos posted:

Already have America! I got it , I believe, 15 years ago. It's in Dutch though so it has some really funny translations.

Anyone know what this is? Can't seem to find any info about it and it's not released yet : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-1-Nelson-Daniel/dp/1613775962/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360784441&sr=1-9

It is the IDW run that just started

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just noticed that on the cover of Day of Chaos, Dredd's Lawgiver actually looks like a real gun. When was it redesigned?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just noticed that on the cover of Day of Chaos, Dredd's Lawgiver actually looks like a real gun. When was it redesigned?

It mostly always did. Lawgiver Mk 2 came into service around 2113, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

It mostly always did. Lawgiver Mk 2 came into service around 2113, though.
Well, yeah, but it was always a skinny pea-shooter looking job. I've got a vinyl Dredd kit that looks like he's holding an anemic toy. I've always disliked that design...

• Locked thread