Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Lawgiver was never consistent until the Mk2 was introduced sometime before 'Doomsday', where it was a key plot element. Before that, it tended to resemble a futuristic Luger (geddit? Dredd's a fascist! :haw: ), except when it didn't. Ezquerra's version was beefed up with a muzzle big enough to fit a couple of fingers inside (but a tiny magazine), and Ron Smith's had huge mags above and below the barrel (which would have made it impossible to holster :v: ).

The only times the hardware's really been consistent from artist to artist is the Landraider in 'The Cursed Earth' (which was based on a 1977 toy), Justice 1 in 'The Judge Child', the Manta tank and the Lawgiver 2. Everything else? Up to the artist. Ron Smith came from American comics, and was amazed that there wasn't even a model sheet for Dredd himself; the other artists before him just went "Helmet, pads, badge saying 'Dredd'? Yeah, that'll do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
A goon commissioned me for this fun thing earlier today:

Check out my SA-Mart thread if you dig this or whatevs.

Also I've been toying with the idea of taking the 2000AD Judge Dredd sample script they have on the website for artists to do tryouts with and doing my own hosed up cartoony version of it for boffo laffs.

quote:

I hope I'm not the only one seeing a Jimmy Saville resemblance in Ronald...

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 22, 2013

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Could I ask what peoples' opinions on Judge Anderson: The Psi Files books are? I'm about to start Judge Dredd Case Files 5 and was wondering if the first Psi Files book would go well shortly after or if I'm best off waiting till I'm further along with Dredd.

I also thought that the contrast to Anderson, who I understand is more sarcastic (or somewhat lighter hearted?), would go well with Dredd, but I'm certainly loving the Case Files.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Metalshark posted:

Could I ask what peoples' opinions on Judge Anderson: The Psi Files books are? I'm about to start Judge Dredd Case Files 5 and was wondering if the first Psi Files book would go well shortly after or if I'm best off waiting till I'm further along with Dredd.

I also thought that the contrast to Anderson, who I understand is more sarcastic (or somewhat lighter hearted?), would go well with Dredd, but I'm certainly loving the Case Files.

You can read Anderson: Psi Division any time after CF5. Initially it was an excuse to do more overtly weird stories like Judge Death Lives or The Haunting of Sector House 13 while letting Dredd get on with crimes, but after the suicide of Judge Corey and Anderson's resulting resignation from Justice Department it took a big swing into the spiritual and emotional aspects of the character and went some very unexpected places as a result. It peaked with a series of stories illustrated by Arthur Ranson that are worth reading just for the art.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Anderson: Psi Division came up with the very odd reveal in one story that if they felt like it, Judges could take off the boots and pads, dress up in their finest party clothes and go out on the town for a night of dancing. (Maybe it was a perk of Psi-Division, because it's hard to imagine Dredd ever boogying the night away.)

Now in Oz or Murphyville, on the other hand, it would practically be mandatory.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Unkempt posted:

This one?

Yesss, awesome, thank you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like that as soon as they finish teaching them to talk they send them to the ghettos.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Anderson: Psi Division came up with the very odd reveal in one story that if they felt like it, Judges could take off the boots and pads, dress up in their finest party clothes and go out on the town for a night of dancing. (Maybe it was a perk of Psi-Division, because it's hard to imagine Dredd ever boogying the night away.)

Judges can take time off if they really need to - even Dredd has been known to take a day off now and again. Psi-Judges tend to need R&R a bit more often due to the additional stresses, and yes, allowances are made for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedit posted:

Judges can take time off if they really need to - even Dredd has been known to take a day off now and again. Psi-Judges tend to need R&R a bit more often due to the additional stresses, and yes, allowances are made for that.

Dredd on his half-day off after coming back from the moon was some hilarious stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Dredd on his half-day off after coming back from the moon was some hilarious stuff.

Wait until you see Dredd refusing to respond to a call-out to a break-in at his own apartment because he's in the bath. Dude takes his leave as seriously as he takes the Law.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Just posting here to remind everyone that the best single line written in the entire Dredd universe is from when the people first rebel against Judge Cal, and a (SJS?) Judge savagely beats a protester exclaiming "I kill you in the name of the law!"

If somebody has that single frame scanned it would be awesome. It's pretty much dredd.jpg.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sjurygg posted:

Just posting here to remind everyone that the best single line written in the entire Dredd universe is from when the people first rebel against Judge Cal, and a (SJS?) Judge savagely beats a protester exclaiming "I kill you in the name of the law!"

If somebody has that single frame scanned it would be awesome. It's pretty much dredd.jpg.
No, that would be cal.jpg, since Dredd doesn't just go off and kill people for no reason.

This is dredd.jpg:

vvv Agreed. vvv

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 28, 2013

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

No, that would be cal.jpg, since Dredd doesn't just go off and kill people for no reason.

This is dredd.jpg:

I swear Brian Bollard's art is just the most gorgeous kind of black and white.

I'm reading the case files and I always get a bit giddy when I reach a strip drawn by him.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

demolina posted:

Being an absolute art nerd, but the FIST OF DREDD pic above's not Bolland's original - it's a trace. (No idea by whom, though it may well be by Bolland himself. Can't imagine why he'd do it, though.)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

demolina posted:

I'm reading the case files and I always get a bit giddy when I reach a strip drawn by him.

yeah, really

click for greater detail

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Being an absolute art nerd, but the FIST OF DREDD pic above's not Bolland's original - it's a trace. (No idea by whom, though it may well be by Bolland himself. Can't imagine why he'd do it, though.)
Yeah, you're right, but it was a nicer version than the scans out there.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

yeah, really

click for greater detail

Dredd is being all :nyd: to a giant monkey, who just looks really confused as to why the tiny pink man on the bike is pointing at him.

dredd.jpg

Deathroller
May 10, 2008
Brian Bolland did the cover of the current issue btw. http://www.2000adonline.com/prog/1821

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deathroller posted:

Brian Bolland did the cover of the current issue btw. http://www.2000adonline.com/prog/1821

Bolland only does covers for anyone these days; his work rate is too slow to sustain a story. I don't think he's done anything as long as four pages since The Killing Joke.

Not exactly being subtle with the fascism angle there either, is he?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I think the best thing about 2000AD is the fact that sometimes for no reason what so ever a story is told entirely in rhyme. The first issue I ever got featured a story called the Ballad of Devil Angel. The devil, the actual devil, joins the angel gang, kidnaps Judge Dredd in the middle of his shower (Dredd wears a helmet in the shower) and promptly gets his mouth washed out with soap for cursing and is then arrested. All told in rhyme.

Satan is locked in a cell in Mega City 1.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm reading the Case Files 1... Good god, did a lot of the early Dredd strips feel like some weird oldtimey Superman comic with more guns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I'm reading the Case Files 1... Good god, did a lot of the early Dredd strips feel like some weird oldtimey Superman comic with more guns.

I like them! I think they're mostly hilarious. Like the one where Walter the Wobot gets a job and Dredd can't figure out why the guy hired him :3:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just strange considering how so many of the later comics and big stories(The Apocalypse War, Necropolis, etc) are super grim and dark.

I can definitely see how Dredd is a place where lots of these cliches started, rather than a place where they were repeated endlessly, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

I like them! I think they're mostly hilarious. Like the one where Walter the Wobot gets a job and Dredd can't figure out why the guy hired him :3:

Then you get some of what Dredd becomes, like when he charges the guy trying to commit suicide and then the person who was defending him.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

rotinaj posted:

It's just strange considering how so many of the later comics and big stories(The Apocalypse War, Necropolis, etc) are super grim and dark.
There was always (very black) humour running through them, though, as opposed to pure GRIMDARK. Even 'The Apocalypse War', with a total bodycount of almost a billion people (plus the entire population of a parallel Earth) had things like Sy the Apocalypso singer getting beaned by a nuclear warhead with a sound effect that exactly rhymed with his lyrics, or indeed a parallel Earth of peace-loving hippies with no concept of war or hate saying "I don't know what they are, but they sure are pretty!" as Total Annihilation Devices rain down on them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Payndz posted:

a parallel Earth of peace-loving hippies with no concept of war or hate saying "I don't know what they are, but they sure are pretty!" as Total Annihilation Devices rain down on them.

This is probably my favourite part of the whole Apocalypse War saga. Making a missile defence shield that doesn't destroy or even damage enemy missiles, just warps them to an alternative dimension so they are someone else's problem, is just amazingly cynical. And hilarious.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

marktheando posted:

This is probably my favourite part of the whole Apocalypse War saga. Making a missile defence shield that doesn't destroy or even damage enemy missiles, just warps them to an alternative dimension so they are someone else's problem, is just amazingly cynical. And hilarious.

I'm partial to the adventures of Walter and Maria (the latter still under the effects of Block Mania) as they search for Dredd. They make a great team.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Does anyone remember the 2000AD one that was set in the near future, someone had somehow opened up a portal to another dimension in Scotland and we were basically firing ships full of prisoners into it to hold back an invasion? It was quite interesting because a lot of it seemed to focus on media manipulation and I can't find it anywhere now.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Glimmer Rats maybe? Though I don't remember much media manipulation to be honest.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
I realise that the thread title is Reading Judge Dredd, but there's a trailer for the Judge Minty fan film that's just been released.

http://youtu.be/cLIfbQeSW2w

Also, I saw that the Judge Child Quest has been released in a little B&W paperback edition. Does anyone know if the other ones are out yet? I think there's a Cursed Earth one and an Apocalypse War edition, but Forbidden Planet didn't have them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool - I look forward to seeing the final Minty film. Thanks for the reminder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HorseHeadBed posted:

I realise that the thread title is Reading Judge Dredd, but there's a trailer for the Judge Minty fan film that's just been released.

http://youtu.be/cLIfbQeSW2w

Also, I saw that the Judge Child Quest has been released in a little B&W paperback edition. Does anyone know if the other ones are out yet? I think there's a Cursed Earth one and an Apocalypse War edition, but Forbidden Planet didn't have them.

They should be out in the UK.

Some interesting news is that The Dark Judges has been announced as the first graphic novel to be part of World Book Night.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
All the renewed interest recently in 2000AD has got me finally settling down to read it myself, and I have been for a little bit here and there. I'm not listening to anyone's "starting suggestions" or ideas for which stories I should or should not read. I've started this from the beginning, and I'm in it for the long haul. Presently I'm about to sit down with the first Summer Special, being about 20 issues in on the series. This is easily the manliest comic book ever written. I'm afraid to read it around my girlfriend, because it might impregnate her.

I am surprised however, that Flesh! is the first story to hit a stopping point and make way for a new story.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
Speaking of 2000ad, I don't know if anyone else had already heard about this but there appears to be a feature length documentary on the comic, it's history and it's cultural influence coming out soonish. Could be interesting - I'd love to hear from the likes of Ennis, Moore, Morrison & co on their experience writing for the mag and their feelings towards some of their early work therein. Zenith and Halo Jones are still two of my all time favourite stories (why, oh, why couldn't they give Moore what he wanted in exchange for finishing Halo Jones off?:sigh:)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/2000ad-documentary-announced

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

(why, oh, why couldn't they give Moore what he wanted in exchange for finishing Halo Jones off?:sigh:)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/2000ad-documentary-announced

He wanted the hearts of all his enemies.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
One of you might be able to solve a question that's been bugging me for approximately ten years: What was the 2000ad series that featured some kind of bionic commando fighting against an evil gigantic organic (possibly alien) entity in some kind of terrible future? There's possibly a religious element to the story, and maybe the bionic commando hero had a sister. I know that isn't much to be getting on with, since that must broadly describe about 30% of all 2000ad stories ever published.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was featured in approximately prog 940 - 990, around the same era as Vector 13, Venus Blue Genes, Flesh: Chronocide, Kid Cyborg, and Judge Dredd: The Pit. Extensive googling hasn't helped, and I'm slightly hesitant to buy 50 progs on eBay on the offchance that I have the era right.

edit: I remember the story included the unpleasant phrase 'technicolour yawn'

double edit: Art was possibly by Jim McCarthy. Maybe Grudge-Father? Did that have a mad dude with machine gun arms in it? Help me, earthlets.

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 5, 2013

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

If that's what you're looking for then it was the second Grudgefather series that ran in progs 940-945.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

If that's what you're looking for then it was the second Grudgefather series that ran in progs 940-945.

Haha, wow, that's it. Much worse than I remember. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Just finished the Necropolis storyline (case files 14)... Think I did it in two sittings; it's a really good read! My favorite epic-sized story so far. I did kinda miss why Dredd suddenly looks so terrible after being in the cursed earth though... doesn't take sunburn very well it seems. Checking Wikipedia is appears his injuries happen during a story called "Dead Man". Is the "Dead Man" story normally included in the case files? Maybe I just completely missed it.

Yannos fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 18, 2013

• Locked thread