Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

A: Control, this is Corcoran, I got a kook at the holding post on Bruce Willis Overwalk. He's asking questions about Dredd ... someone better pick him up for interrogation.[/b]
*hphlfjhljl*
A: Did you say "time slip"?
*mmphljghfl*
[b]A: You've got to be drokking kidding me...
A: Okay, you, you're free to go.
Hold it, Corcoran! Ignorance of the law is no defence. Creep does his time - you report to the sector house for reassessment and retraining.

Great OP; looking forward to the thread and seeing what newcomers make of Dredd's universe. (Which may or may not also be the universe of Strontium Dog, and Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors and by extension Nemesis The Warlock and just about everything else Pat Mills has ever written, depending on the retcon status this week.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

rotinaj posted:

I was actually just reading through the wikipedia summaries of the major arcs of Judge Dredd, so good timing on this. Do any authors try to get Dredd going all comic-book-hero and liberal and poo poo and just not get what Dredd's whole point is, or did they manage to keep him more-or-less on-task?
Pat Mills, 2000AD's creator/first editor and a major influence on Dredd's early years, once said that around the time of The Cursed Earth he made Dredd into a straightforward (if brutal) hero because that was what that particular story needed. Once Wagner took the reins again he swung it back so that Dredd was "a complete bastard", and Mills was perfectly fine with that. (He was well aware of Dredd's "point", though; Wagner is credited as Dredd's creator, but as editor Mills wrote or heavily rewrote most of the early stories.)

I'll have to dig out my copy of Judge Dredd: The Mega-History, which is full of candid quotes and anecdotes about the strip's first 18 or so years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dredd has survived everything the world has thrown at him for 36 years. :haw:

This includes being shot in the heart, shot through the heart, shot through the head, 100% burns, cancer, nuclear war and actually dying on at least one occasion.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senor Science posted:

Speaking of which, I would kill for a licensed Judge Dredd sandbox style game a la New Vegas or Stalker set in the Cursed Earth. The protagonist could be a retired or disgraced judge setting out to bring law to the lawless.
Cursed Earth Koburn, then. (Yep, there was a whole spin-off series with that very premise.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes he first appeared in Prog 2. Also you have to remember that 2000 AD is an anthology magizine and Judge Dredd is just part.
Yeah, Dredd is just one of usually five or six different strips running each week. The best-known of the others are Strontium Dog, Nemesis The Warlock, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, The Ballad Of Halo Jones, Ace Trucking Co, Robo-Hunter, Slaine, Zenith and Nikolai Dante, as well as at least a dozen Dredd spin-offs like Anderson: Psi Division, Low Life, The Dead Man and Chopper, but Dredd's the only one that's been running continuously from the start.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kerbtree posted:

Anyone else remember Future Shocks?
I wrote one! (Prog 749) :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Lawgiver was never consistent until the Mk2 was introduced sometime before 'Doomsday', where it was a key plot element. Before that, it tended to resemble a futuristic Luger (geddit? Dredd's a fascist! :haw: ), except when it didn't. Ezquerra's version was beefed up with a muzzle big enough to fit a couple of fingers inside (but a tiny magazine), and Ron Smith's had huge mags above and below the barrel (which would have made it impossible to holster :v: ).

The only times the hardware's really been consistent from artist to artist is the Landraider in 'The Cursed Earth' (which was based on a 1977 toy), Justice 1 in 'The Judge Child', the Manta tank and the Lawgiver 2. Everything else? Up to the artist. Ron Smith came from American comics, and was amazed that there wasn't even a model sheet for Dredd himself; the other artists before him just went "Helmet, pads, badge saying 'Dredd'? Yeah, that'll do."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Anderson: Psi Division came up with the very odd reveal in one story that if they felt like it, Judges could take off the boots and pads, dress up in their finest party clothes and go out on the town for a night of dancing. (Maybe it was a perk of Psi-Division, because it's hard to imagine Dredd ever boogying the night away.)

Now in Oz or Murphyville, on the other hand, it would practically be mandatory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

demolina posted:

I swear Brian Bollard's art is just the most gorgeous kind of black and white.
Being an absolute art nerd, but the FIST OF DREDD pic above's not Bolland's original - it's a trace. (No idea by whom, though it may well be by Bolland himself. Can't imagine why he'd do it, though.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

rotinaj posted:

It's just strange considering how so many of the later comics and big stories(The Apocalypse War, Necropolis, etc) are super grim and dark.
There was always (very black) humour running through them, though, as opposed to pure GRIMDARK. Even 'The Apocalypse War', with a total bodycount of almost a billion people (plus the entire population of a parallel Earth) had things like Sy the Apocalypso singer getting beaned by a nuclear warhead with a sound effect that exactly rhymed with his lyrics, or indeed a parallel Earth of peace-loving hippies with no concept of war or hate saying "I don't know what they are, but they sure are pretty!" as Total Annihilation Devices rain down on them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

david_a posted:

Judge Dredd never had any crossovers with Nemesis/ABC Warriors, right? I picked up Vol 1 of the Complete Nemesis (it looks like this is all the US has so far) and it's wonderfully insane. Kevin O'Neill's artwork reminds me a bit of Simon Bisley in ABC Warriors: The Black Hole.
There was 'Hammerstein', as mentioned (although it's pretty much been retconned with Mills' revisiting of the Volgan War in ABC Warriors), and in the early days of 2000AD Ro-Busters sometimes mentioned Mega-City One, but never visited it. Apart from that, the only crossovers were a Nemesis (and I think Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein) cameo in 'Helter Skelter' and Mek-Quake appearing with Dredd in a Walter The Wobot story.

And yes, O'Neill's art for Nemesis Book 1 is probably his masterwork. The level of detail and warped imagination is just insane.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh, god, yeah. The early '90s. Not a good era for Dredd, but then not a good era for 2000AD in general, as it swung wildly between achingly politically correct and "look how loving TRANSGRESSIVE we are, you loving SQUARES!" (It was also the era of godawful Bisley-clone painted artwork that looked even worse in the comic because of the cheap paper and printing.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lurdiak posted:

What do you mean by politically correct?
Two words: Inspector Raam.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Prenton posted:

As a kid, I thought that was a satire of extreme eco-views/veganism. Welp.
Actually, maybe I was thinking of the other eco-strip that ran around the same time, the name of which escapes me but was the same idea played totally seriously. Green Shoots, or something like that.

(Although Tharg did kind of apologise for "that thing with the sheep" in one of the anniversary specials: "What was I thinking?")

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 21, 2013

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something to bear in mind with the change in tone of Dredd (and 2000AD as a whole) over time is that the comic was created to cash in on the sci-fi boom of the late 70s, and nobody involved imagined it would last more than a few years before either folding or being absorbed into another title. The wacky poo poo from the early days was thrown in just because they could; if Wagner had known he'd still be writing it 36 years later and aiming it at adults he might have been more picky about the worldbuilding. (But then, it wouldn't be the same Dredd without some of the batshit crazy ideas of the first few years.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Loved the reveal of Section 7's big secret in the last part of 'Mega-City Confidential', and how the whole story turned out to be a satire of the Edward Snowden affair, right down to the crusading journalist's partner being detained at a British Brit-Cit airport. I also enjoyed that there was a noisy contingent of citizens who were perfectly fine with being covertly surveilled 24/7 in their own homes because they aren't criminals and have nothing to hide - in a world where the system is specifically designed so that everyone is a lawbreaker in one way or another. Wagner is still the sharpest Dredd writer, even after 37 years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Maybe 'designed' wasn't the right word, since the current system evolved over time and through circumstance (although what was done in 'Mega-City Confidential' absolutely was a deliberate effort), but as in the mattress example above, there are so many byzantine laws that if the Judges want to charge somebody for something, they'll get there in the end. The first time we see a crime blitz, it's stated in dialogue that they have a 100% record of finding some breach of the law, however minor (and the fact that this particular case doesn't find anything makes Dredd so suspicious that he orders 24-hour surveillance on the suspect until he does something wrong).

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 25, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got 'The Apocalypse War' as part of the Mega Collection, and drat, reading it as one continuous story rather than individual episodes for the first time hammered home just how good a piece of action storytelling it is. If you include 'Block Mania' (which you should), it's, what, 36 or so weeks of story, and it never. loving. Stops. For. A. Moment. It's relentless, and every time it looks like the biggest thing ever has happened, something comes along right after and tops it.

It's also an insanely good collection of art, with pretty much all the classic Dredd artists represented: McMahon, Ron Smith, Dillon, Bolland and Ezquerra. Only Gibson and Ewins (RIP) missed the Apocalypso party.

I did notice that some of the repro is dodgy, though; McMahon's map of MC1 in 'Block Mania' originally had detail that's missing here, and the 'Block Mania' title logo itself is often smudged and bleeding. There's even a greyscale reproduction (despite their attempts to hide it) of one of Ezquerra's spreads while everything else is B&W, which makes me wonder if 2000AD are missing some of the original art/plates/film/whatever and having to make do with scans of actual issues.

Also, I can't work out their numbering system. This was #3 in sale order, but #36 in "shelving" order for the spine artwork? :wtc:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Castle Radium posted:

Possibly the lack of colour spreads is because they're about to start reissuing the early Case Files again with the colour pages included this time, and that would be a pretty big selling point. Unfortunately b/w art from this era always seems to lose a ton of detail when it's scaled down, as the original pages were huge by the standard of today's comics. For my money the best repro was in the now OOP Titan edition.
I've got some of the old Titan reprints, and yes, they're the best presentation of the art I've seen. Nice thick pristine white (even after 25 years) paper, and I think bigger than in 2000AD itself. (The Titan edition of The ABC Warriors: Black Hole even has Bisley's original uncensored artwork and SMS redrawing several panels he wasn't happy with!)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is from pages ago, but how is the submissions process, if you don't mind? I'm thinking of trying to break into comics as a writer and I love the hell out of 2000AD, so submitting a Future Shock or two seems like a reasonable enough way to go about it.
I didn't go about it the normal way; I originally wrote and drew the story for my own 'zine, and a 2000AD artist (Mike Hadley) saw it and liked it enough to want to redraw it for 2000AD, so asked whoever was Tharg at the time to buy it. In the end it was drawn by Tim Bollard, and I got (I think) £65 for the story. (That was in 1990, no idea what the page rate is now.) I later tried submitting more stories, but they were all rejected. :smith:

The 2000AD website has submissions guidelines.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, MacNeil's earliest black-and-white work for 2000AD (Future Shocks, a couple of Dredds) was very much Ezquerra-inspired, before he developed his own style.

Simon Harrison was a weird choice for one of 2000AD's flagship strips, as his style at that stage was pretty cartoony and raw - he certainly hadn't fully developed it, so dropping a world-changing Strontium Dog epic onto him was a hell of a trial by fire.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

biglads posted:

I note that the President seems to have a Trump-style toupee....
Draw your own conclusions:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I got the latest Mega Collections, and boy, were they a reminder of just how bad the 1990s Ennis/Millar/Morrison run on Dredd was compared to Wagner. Dredd himself may have been a satire of the 1970s Dirty Harry-style 'tough cop', but they write him (deliberately or unintentionally) as a parody of a satire, and it becomes as stupid as Horatio Caine's pre-YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH one-liners. Dredd strikes a tough pose; Dredd spouts a hard-rear end comment; Dredd does something gratuitously brutal. (There's also a distinct tendency for the bad guys to direct their own gratuitous brutality against women, particularly in 'Inferno', which could be the writers' laddish "tee hee, look how transgressive we are!" attitude, or something deeper and nastier bubbling to the surface.)

When you have one of the writers describing his own work as poo poo in the accompanying interview ('Judgement Day') or the current editor of 2000AD introducing a collection with a disclaimer that he thinks the writers didn't know how to write Dredd properly ('Inferno'), you do have to wonder why these stories were included in what's supposed to be a best-of collection at all. (Other than maybe "we need to get Morrison, Millar and Ennis's names on as many covers as possible!")

Also, I know that continuity complaints and "that's not how things work!" objections in comics are the height of sperginess, but both 'Inferno' and 'Helter Skelter' involve a small group of bad guys taking over the Grand Hall of Justice, and from that controlling the entire city - ignoring the dozens if not hundreds of sector houses and other Justice Department facilities with their own forces, air support, tanks, Mantas and other military-grade hardware that could be used to retake it. When Wagner did a coup in 'Doomsday', he did it properly across the entire city - and set it up years in advance!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow, after 29 years Dredd finally killed PJ Maybe. Although I'm wondering if it's really the end - the whole business with the split personality didn't get nearly as much payoff as such a major development would seem to deserve, and it lacked the usual PJ's dyslexic diary format. On the other hand, it was a pretty decisive way to go out - three deaths in one!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did we ever find out how PJ escaped being killed by Judge Death at the start of 'Dark Justice'? My memory's fuzzy, but I think he didn't turn up again until 'Serial Serial', and even then only offscreen via the letters to Dredd.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, poo poo. Steve Dillon (definitely one of the 'classic era' Dredd artists) just died. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Grr. Hachette did a special offer on the Dredd Mega-Collection over New Year's: all books half price! So I ordered all the essential ones I needed to catch up, plus some of the spin-off stories I didn't really fancy at full whack. £100 of books for £50 - great!

...except that when I tried to go to the checkout, all I got was an "Error: unable to process" message. Which when I tried again today had disappeared so everything was working normally - only all the books in my basket had strangely reverted to full price. Fuckers!

• Locked thread