Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The code tag in your OP really messes with the formatting... I would put the Note outside of the tag.

I picked up Case Files 2 - 5 and ordered America (more on that later) out of a sense of nostalgia from reading stuff at a friend's house in the 90s. I might have to pick up Case Files 1 too, since some of the stuff I vaguely remember wasn't in those (something about a rat-face dude?).

I think The Judge Child was my favorite mega-epic; the more sci-fi tone of it was a welcome break from the oppressive city scenes. The Day The Law Died was my least favorite - it was more silly than funny; getting through that was a bit of a slog. The Judge Death stuff was the best mid-length stories.

As for America? Well, I ordered it from Amazon on October 27th, but it hasn't shipped yet. Amazon even sent me an email wondering if I still wanted it. Maybe the container ship from the UK sank or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The missing Cursed Earth progs can be found here: http://unseendredd.blogspot.com/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

VoodooXT posted:

Anyone know why Amazon is out of Case Files 1?
There must be something weird going on with their supplier; I ordered my copy of America in October and it still hasn't shipped.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Judge Dredd never had any crossovers with Nemesis/ABC Warriors, right? I picked up Vol 1 of the Complete Nemesis (it looks like this is all the US has so far) and it's wonderfully insane. Kevin O'Neill's artwork reminds me a bit of Simon Bisley in ABC Warriors: The Black Hole.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it wrong that I prefer B&W comics? I just read America and it was (art-wise) merely OK by my neurotic standards. Color seems to necessitate less detail 90% of the time. Fading of the Light looked abysmal; haven't read Cadet yet but it seems a bit better (or maybe just less bad). To be fair, I'm not sure that art in Fading of the Light would have improved much in B&W.

These are by far the newest Judge Dredd I've read; I've gone through the first 5 Case Files and I'm wondering whether I should continue with 6 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this more serious tone. Mega-City One seems too absurd a setting to try to play straight. It's also hard to reconcile stories involving rape that are in continuity with stories about killer interstellar crocodiles and interdimensional ghouls...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I finished Cadet and it might have been my favorite of the three. Judge Dredd gets to do actual detective work! :monocle: The rear end stabbing at the end was a nice touch to show that they don't take themselves entirely seriously.

Dredd looked pretty good for a ~60 year old. Is there an in-universe explanation for that? Isn't he a clone or something?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Pretty sure they are identical other than the covers. They don't seem to be in a hurry to release stuff in the US, although I see case files 6 is available for pre-order. Nemesis only has the first book and none of the Strontium Dog books are over here. I kinda wonder if they ever will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flython posted:

I've heard such good things about it but I've yet to watch the new Dredd film, does it have any of the goofiness that makes this such a great series?
Mainly in background details that are pretty easy to overlook. It's a lot closer to the modern grim Dredd comics than the old goofy stuff.

• Locked thread