Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Just finished The Judge Child saga and I'm in love with Judge Dredd, It really is the best. It's a shame Judge Lopez died so quickly, Dredd's growing obsession with his moustache was cracking me up.

I've heard such good things about it but I've yet to watch the new Dredd film, does it have any of the goofiness that makes this such a great series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Up to number 13 of the complete case files and still loving it. Only real problem so far is anything deals with the far east, it's clear several people on staff loving hated Asian people.

It's funny how poo poo and gently caress gave way to drokk but nip stood strong.

Flython fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 20, 2015

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's more that this was 1986 and we really were not very reconstructed in the UK. I don't think any harm was meant by it, and the stuff in Dredd mostly doesn't even come close to "Blakee Pentax!"

It doesn't help that the stories with this stuff in are poo poo. Sure I roll my eyes whenever Maria or someone from the Andean Conurb shows up but her being the last person with block mania was great.

The fact that it's so of it's time is a huge reason why I like this series, I guess you've just got to take the good with the bad.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Number 14 coming up for you is one of the all time greats, big fav of mine. Sure you've heard about the Necropolis epic! It rocks.

Just picked it up on my way home and it's already so good. Poor Morph

The change to colour took a little time to hit me but everything's so vibrant and colourful. It's Beautiful.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Judgement day is really making me want to pick up Strontium Dog. Good decision?

He's pretty good this Garth Ennis fellow, I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

"The sun rose on Mega-City Two at 05.50-- It sparkled like a shower of gold on the sea, cast a rich array of pink and orange on the giant glasseen towers, banished the darkness of the night for another day... At 05.51 it rose again."

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

There are five collected volumes of classic Strontium Dog in the same format as the Case Files - they're called the SD Files - and they're well worth picking up.

I take it you're being sarcastic about Ennis. He was very hit and miss on Dredd, but that particular sequence was good.

Picked up Strontium Dog #1, going to give it a go after I finish Case File 19. Bought 18 & 19 together and was really enjoying them both. Mechanismo was great and looks so good, Colin MacNeil might be my favourite artist so far. Muzak Killer really cracked me up as did the Branch Moronian.

Then I got to the Bagwan prog. Ugly, lovely art for an ugly, lovely story. I guess they can't all be gold.

Would it be worth tracking down the dead man stories from when Dredd took the long walk before Necropolis? I'm quite surprised they weren't in the case files and was pretty drat confused for the first half of the storyline. It's also too bad we saw so little of Judge Kraken, what we got was good but I really wish there was more. Are there any other good parts missing from the case files?

Flython fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 11, 2015

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation Jedit, I'm enjoying Strontium Dog just as much as Dredd. I always wanted more space shenanigans from Dredd and SD scratches that particular itch so well. Time grenades are still just one of the coolest little things.

They're so similar but I think SD might be even bleaker than Dredd. The end of the Mutant Uprising was the blackest comedy and the Rage storyline really took me by surprise. It's not all sadness though, drat did the Bitch progs have my laughing every page, I don't think I could ever get tired of Reagan in space.

I'm also sorry to say that I never really appreciated Carlos Ezquerra's art for Dredd but that's definitely changed now. Well time to check out Rogue Trooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Now that I've finished The Final Solution what other stories in the Strontium Dogs universe would people recommend?

Got really mixed feelings on it like I'm sure most do but Alpha & Wulf in Mega City was great.

• Locked thread