Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Re-reading my collection, Ennis had some good stuff, but once you go into the Prog 800 era it gets terrible, as he's clearly more concerned with writing Preacher at the same time and also shoehorning Irish into it like he does with everything. Then Mark Millar takes over and it goes right downhill in quality. Same with the rest of 2000AD at that time really, aside from the few shining lights like Revere or Indigo Prime. Matches the time Vertigo/DC/Marvel were snapping up all the talent, so you're left with dodgy artists whose style doesn't fit, like Anthony Williams or Simon Coleby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah Final Solution is the pinnacle of Strontium Dog. I didn't think the follow on Strontium Dogs with Feral & The Gronk vs The Lyran Sorcerers was bad at all, not sure where they went with it after that. Really didn't like the change of artist for whatever reason from Simon Harrison to Colin MacNeil either on FS, I like MacNeil's stuff but it's massively jarring given Harrison was pretty unique in his style. Not sure if it was to do with the break and/or 2000AD going full colour at that time but still.

Did they retcon Alpha & Wulf's deaths or are they untold stories from back in the day that come after?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I just really like Harrison's work, pity he doesn't seem to be doing anything these days. his fully painted stuff on Revere and the Bradley Fairy Tales was amazing, and at least he wasn't a Bisley clone.

MacNeil was always a better fit for Dredd anyway. I was reading some of that really early SD work the other day, it's less 'Ezquerra influenced' and more 'looks like he traced everything from earlier Ezquerra SD strips, right down to the trademark thick dashed line around foreground characters'. Chopper & America are classics though.

• Locked thread