Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Welcome, everyone, to the thread for discussion of Judge Dredd and the related stories set in his world. I'll be adding to this thread as it goes along, with more details about the world of the Mega-Cities and the various allies and foes Dredd has faced down the years. For now, though, I'm just going to provide an introduction to the character and set the ball rolling.

Before I start: Dredd has appeared in a number of publications since 1977. To avoid confusion, when referring to specific issues please use the following acronyms:

code:
2000AD (1977-)                                       Prog x
Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-)                         Meg x.xx or x (volume 5)
Judge Dredd (DC, 1994-96)                            JDDC #x
Judge Dredd: Legends of the Law (1994-95)            LOTL #x
Judge Dredd (IDW, 2012-)                             JD #x
Judge Dredd: Year One (2013-)                        JDY1 #x

Note: the Megazine has relaunched its numbering four times.  If you don't know which 
volume you have, check the cover date - the reboots came at 1.20 (May 1992), 2.83 (July 1995), 
3.79 (July 2001) and 4.18 (December 2002).  The numbering was consolidated with issue 201 and 
subsequent issues have gone from there.
WHO IS JUDGE DREDD?

To properly introduce Judge Dredd, here is a transcript of a conversation held with one of his fellow Judges.

Q: Who is Judge Dredd?
A: He is the Law.
Q: Yes, but who is he?
A: Grud, are you deficient in the hearing? He's a Judge. That makes him the Law in Mega-City One.
Q: What are the Judges?
A: You can find out all about it in the cubes, creep. Wasting a Judge's time - thirty days!
Q: I'm sorry, Judge, I didn't mean to, I'm not from round here!
A: I don't care. Cuff yourself to that post, citizen. You know what this is?
Q: It's a gun...
A: That's right, bozo, and it dispenses six kinds of justice so don't even think about running.
A: Control, this is Corcoran, I got a kook at the holding post on Bruce Willis Overwalk. He's asking questions about Dredd ... someone better pick him up for interrogation.

*hphlfjhljl*
A: Did you say "time slip"?
*mmphljghfl*
A: You've got to be drokking kidding me...
A: Okay, you, you're free to go. Take the zoom to City Hall and request a place on the Temporally Displaced Persons Orientation Course. They'll set you up with Welfare and put you in a rehousing camp until an apartment clears - should only be a couple of years unless some geek nukes the reclam zone again - and they'll give you your Guide to Coping With Unemployment.

Q: Yes, Judge. Thank you, Judge.
A: And don't let me see your face again, or next time I won't be so nice.
Q: Yes, Judge, I won't, Judge.

By the mid-21st Century the world's great cities had spread and amalgamated until they were themselves the size of nations. In the wake of massive overpopulation, crime exploded. As the legal system in the United States stretched beyond its ability to cope, it was proposed that an elite law enforcement unit be given the power to instantly punish criminals without recourse to trial or jury. These law enforcement officers, the Judges, received many years training in both proper application of justice and the combat skills required to enforce the law. This system of instant justice proved, if not wholly effective, certainly more successful than the antiquated system of courts and lawyers, and within 20 years had been adopted worldwide as the standard. After the Great Atomic War of 2070 was begun by US President Robert Booth, the Judges took matters into their own hands and removed politicians from the equation, taking charge of the surviving Mega-Cities themselves. The police forces continued to exist and work alongside the Judges, but were gradually phased out and eventually disappeared around the turn of the 22nd Century.

The pre-eminent Judge of Mega-City One is Judge Joe Dredd. A clone of the first Chief Judge, Eustace Fargo, Dredd is a living embodiment of both the Law and the Judge system. To put this in perspective: in a city of over 400 million people, Dredd is so well known that when he quit the Judges due to self-doubt it was considered that it would be too much of a blow to the system if the citizens were to find out. Dredd is tough, unflinching and absolutely ruthless in upholding the law, but he also does not allow injustice to pass him by - even when he is under no obligation to assist. He is a fascist because the system is fascist, and he accepts that it is the only way it can work. His outlook is best summed up by these two pages from the classic story America.

WHERE CAN I READ ABOUT DREDD? WHERE SHOULD I START?

Judge Dredd was first published in Prog (issue) 2 of 2000AD in 1977, and with one exception has appeared in every issue since. In 1990 a spin-off magazine was launched, the Judge Dredd Megazine, which contains not only Dredd stories but related stories set in other parts of the world or featuring other characters. The launch of the Megazine (AKA "the Meg") saw a decided shift in tone for Dredd; hitherto mainly a garish action strip with a satirical backdrop and some fairly simple political commentary, the Meg opened up a wider world of more adult themes which to some degree bled over into the main comic.

One thing that is worth noting is that unlike most other comics Dredd proceeds in real time, with stories always being set 122 years in the future.

In the run-up to the 1995 Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone, DC Comics released two Dredd comics of their own. The main one, simply titled Judge Dredd, was a full reboot in a differently styled Mega-City One. The other, Legends of the Law, stayed closer to the original material. Neither comic lasted long, folding in just over a year.

With a new Dredd movie in 2012 another attempt has been made to break Dredd into the US comic-reading consciousness, this time by IDW Publishing. Their main Judge Dredd title launched in November 2012 and is so far revisiting the early Dredd stories, revising the style to match the more serious tone of later stories. IDW will also be launching a companion title, Judge Dredd: Year One, in March 2013. This book will go back to 2079 and tell tales of Dredd's first year on the streets.

So, with 36 years and more than 20,000 pages on story to draw from, where to begin? Luckily, over the last few years Rebellion Publishing have been printing the Case Files series, which compile almost-complete runs of Dredd stories from 2000AD and, latterly, the Megazine. The first fourteen volumes each cover approximately one full year. There are also a large number of trade paperbacks containing significant arcs. Here's a few recommended options:

Case Files 1
For the purists who want to go through it in order. The world of Dredd was not fully formed in these early stories, and the tone is radically different. They do provide a reasonable introduction to the world, but it's far from the best option.

Case Files 2
This volume contains the first two Mega-Epics - months-long stories that tell of a major event. In The Cursed Earth Dredd and a picked crew travel on a mercy mission across the nuclear wasteland in the middle of America to deliver a vaccine to a plague-struck Mega-City Two on the West Coast, while The Day The Law Died sees a crazed megalomaniac (modelled on Caligula) take over the Judges while Dredd and a handful of Academy tutors struggle to overthrow him. Both stories are excellent; however, they take up the entire book and they provide no real sense of what Mega-City One is like. As such, I wouldn't want to start here.

Case Files 3/4
By this point the style has settled down and the background is well defined. Case Files 3 is mainly filler - though it does include the superb Judge Death, which introduces the titular villain and also Psi-Judge Cassandra Anderson. Case Files 4 is built around The Judge Child, a Mega-Epic somewhat similar to The Cursed Earth in that it's Dredd and a crew outside Mega-City One - in this case, travelling first to Texas City and then into space in pursuit of a psychic child who is destined to lead Mega-City One in the time of its greatest catastrophe. CF4 also introduces long-time antihero Marlon "Chopper" Shakespeare and begins the setup for the bulk of Case Files 5. Either would be a reasonable place to start.

Case Files 5
For my money, the best jumping-on point. It begins with The Mega-Files, a series of stories detailing some of the more interesting crimes in the Mega-City and which are a good introduction to the world - I can attest to this personally, as I began reading 2000AD somewhere early in this volume. The back half of the volume is taken up by the giant two-part Mega-Epic Block Mania and The Apocalypse War, a tale of espionage and holocaust that ran for nine months and changed the face of the strip forever. As previously noted, the setup for The Apocalypse War began almost a year before the story, a feat which was possible because it was given a great deal of lead time to allow Dredd co-creator Carlos Ezquerra to draw all 26 episodes - the first time one artist illustrated an entire Mega-Epic.

America
John Wagner's now famous story is an interesting place to start as Dredd barely appears in it and it's entirely written from the point of view of a citizen. The story of an immigrant's daughter who dreams of a Mega-City free of tyranny and the man who loves her, it was written for the launch of the Megazine and thus served both as a jumping-on point for new readers and the shift to more mature storylines. The collected volume includes the sequel story - loathed by many due to a switch from painted artwork to hideous early computer colouring - and a third story centring on America's daughter. It's not the best place to start, but it is the best thing to wave under someone's nose when they disparage you for reading comics.

OK, I think that's enough to get started. Any questions you want to ask, ask and I'll answer if I can. If I can't, I'm sure someone will be able to.

EDIT: Can we please reserve this thread for discussion of Dredd. There's so much more stuff in 2000AD that it warrants its own thread - which someone else can curate.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Another Person posted:

It isn't the images, but the notes in the quote box. Reformat them OP, otherwise, the OP is perfect!

The code box seems to extend to fit the screen. I just halved the line length, but the box is still the same width. I've moved the two pages of America to be sequential instead of side by side for the benefit of people with 4:3 monitors.

By the way, can we please keep discussion in this thread to Dredd and related strips only. There's so much more material in 2000AD that the Dredd might get swamped. Back in the day 2000AD and Judge Dredd had their own separate annuals, so they deserve their own threads too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Devlin Waugh is my favourite though.

And is set in the Dredd world, so feel free to elaborate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Cal, i like how his brain is on display in the hall of infamy.

Which is a riff on They Saved Hitler's Brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes they do. I think it is casefile 12 when it becomes color.

Indeed it is. Early on the colour centre spreads were fairly unsophisticated fills and they weren't always Dredd either, so it was easy to justify having the whole volume in monochrome for the sake of cost. It really does get noticeable in volume 11, where Steve Dillon did painted spreads for his parts of Oz, and as Dredd went to full colour not long after the Case Files converted too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

robot roll call posted:

I see a lot of the collections are on the Kindle store. Has anyone given them a shot? I'm wondering how they read on the e-ink screen.

I used to have a paper copy of The Dark Judges at Kindle size and it was readable, but you'll lose a lot of detail in the art. Don't punish yourself - buy the Case Files and appreciate that Bolland as it should be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

...Has there been very much on the Special Judicial Service?

Some, but not vast amounts - they're mostly only seen when policing other Judges, and even then serious cases go to the Council of Five. The head of the SJS is a member of the Council (the heads of Psi Division and Tek Division, a senior tutor from the Academy and an experienced street judge usually make up the others). Dredd has been up before them a few times, though, and of course they played a major part in The Day The Law Died as Cal was their head before becoming Chief Judge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the Dredd story "The Case of the Urban Gorillas"? It was in the 1981 2000AD annual, and is also in the "Restricted Files 01" collection.

Define "have a copy". I have RF1 if you want to know something about it, but I don't have scans even if they don't count as :filez:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

America. For some reason it is not in the case files. Also later this year they are releasing Origins.

Origins is already out, if he's in a country where there's eight Case Files and all the Restricted Files. I picked it up for £7.50 in the HMV fire sale, so check your local branch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just noticed that on the cover of Day of Chaos, Dredd's Lawgiver actually looks like a real gun. When was it redesigned?

It mostly always did. Lawgiver Mk 2 came into service around 2113, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Metalshark posted:

Could I ask what peoples' opinions on Judge Anderson: The Psi Files books are? I'm about to start Judge Dredd Case Files 5 and was wondering if the first Psi Files book would go well shortly after or if I'm best off waiting till I'm further along with Dredd.

I also thought that the contrast to Anderson, who I understand is more sarcastic (or somewhat lighter hearted?), would go well with Dredd, but I'm certainly loving the Case Files.

You can read Anderson: Psi Division any time after CF5. Initially it was an excuse to do more overtly weird stories like Judge Death Lives or The Haunting of Sector House 13 while letting Dredd get on with crimes, but after the suicide of Judge Corey and Anderson's resulting resignation from Justice Department it took a big swing into the spiritual and emotional aspects of the character and went some very unexpected places as a result. It peaked with a series of stories illustrated by Arthur Ranson that are worth reading just for the art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Anderson: Psi Division came up with the very odd reveal in one story that if they felt like it, Judges could take off the boots and pads, dress up in their finest party clothes and go out on the town for a night of dancing. (Maybe it was a perk of Psi-Division, because it's hard to imagine Dredd ever boogying the night away.)

Judges can take time off if they really need to - even Dredd has been known to take a day off now and again. Psi-Judges tend to need R&R a bit more often due to the additional stresses, and yes, allowances are made for that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Dredd on his half-day off after coming back from the moon was some hilarious stuff.

Wait until you see Dredd refusing to respond to a call-out to a break-in at his own apartment because he's in the bath. Dude takes his leave as seriously as he takes the Law.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deathroller posted:

Brian Bolland did the cover of the current issue btw. http://www.2000adonline.com/prog/1821

Bolland only does covers for anyone these days; his work rate is too slow to sustain a story. I don't think he's done anything as long as four pages since The Killing Joke.

Not exactly being subtle with the fascism angle there either, is he?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HorseHeadBed posted:

I realise that the thread title is Reading Judge Dredd, but there's a trailer for the Judge Minty fan film that's just been released.

http://youtu.be/cLIfbQeSW2w

Also, I saw that the Judge Child Quest has been released in a little B&W paperback edition. Does anyone know if the other ones are out yet? I think there's a Cursed Earth one and an Apocalypse War edition, but Forbidden Planet didn't have them.

They should be out in the UK.

Some interesting news is that The Dark Judges has been announced as the first graphic novel to be part of World Book Night.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unknownone posted:

"Dead Man" is in case files 14.

Not in my copy, it isn't. The Dead Man has been published in TPB and is worth picking up.

Also out in TPB is volume 1 of IDW's Judge Dredd. It's not awful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unknownone posted:

Maybe I got confused, I was going off the quote from the 2000AD forums : TALE OF THE DEAD MAN IS in Case Files 14, it's the prologue story THE DEAD MAN that's missing. It is available as a separate book called The Dead Man.

Or the US case files are different from the UK ones, which is entirely possible.

The US Case Files are only up to volume 5, I think. Tale of the Dead Man is the postscript to the other story, which does not appear in the Case Files as those are reserved for the main Dredd strip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yannos posted:

I do remember one where he cuffs a perp to a railing somewhere and he has to leave him there to pursue something. During his time away the perp gets completely robbed naked by other criminals and in the end he's killed when some fake ambulance comes around to harvest his limbs and organs. Maybe a bit too grisly for the movie :) ...

That was a cadet who was doing patrol training with Dredd. You don't actually get to see anything gory, though - they just return to find only the handcuff dangling from the rail.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Are you forgetting Judge Giant, grandson of the Harlem Heroes captain?

Crossovers with ABC Warriors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Davincie posted:

Anyone else here reading every case file? I'm up to 16 now and there seems to be a weird omission. A few case files ago it was halfway in the democrat movement and JD was going to allow them to do some more things, ie vote but then it abruptly stopped. I assumed it would continue later like it occasionally does but I'm now at part 16 and Dredd just was at a new years reception where he basically said he solved the democrat problem. Did they leave out half the democracy arc or something? Never came across that Americana story either.

edit: Oh never mind, now 300 pages into case file 16 they start the story back up again. Still very odd to have an epilogue story before the actual story.

You won't find America in the Case Files. It's got its own volume, which it deserves.

The democracy arc had a one-year gap between Nightmares (CF15) and The Devil You Know (CF16). This is not an unreasonable amount of time between announcing a referendum and it taking place - witness the Scottish Independence referendum. Nightmares is also not an epilogue, it's a transition of phase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

What do you mean by politically correct? Because I keep trying to get into old school 2000AD and being put off by how out-of-nowhere hitler levels of racist some of the stories are, especially when any asian people show up. It's like, they had Harlem Heroes to show how cool they are with black people, but then some buck toothed japanese midget shows up lugging a huge camera around and saying "me solly".

Nobody considers "Blakee Pentax!" to be the high point of 2000AD's history. It has since been apologised for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

david_a posted:

Is it wrong that I prefer B&W comics? I just read America and it was (art-wise) merely OK by my neurotic standards. Color seems to necessitate less detail 90% of the time. Fading of the Light looked abysmal; haven't read Cadet yet but it seems a bit better (or maybe just less bad). To be fair, I'm not sure that art in Fading of the Light would have improved much in B&W.

These are by far the newest Judge Dredd I've read; I've gone through the first 5 Case Files and I'm wondering whether I should continue with 6 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this more serious tone. Mega-City One seems too absurd a setting to try to play straight. It's also hard to reconcile stories involving rape that are in continuity with stories about killer interstellar crocodiles and interdimensional ghouls...

Fading of the Light was an early experiment in computer colouring. They acknowledge that it's bad, but it's too expensive to recolour it now.

The incongruity you're noticing between the tone of America and the Case Files is the effect of jumping forward ten years in time. If you read the Case Files up to 14 (which is where America fits in time) you'll see an increased shift towards mingling serious themes with the absurdity. America was a further quantum leap in showing that Dredd's world could handle adult stories, which is why it's so highly regarded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martello posted:

I recently decided to get into Dredd. I owned Case Files 01 (the American trade) for over a year but the first few issues were so off-the-wall I put it down and started reading something else. Probably The Metabarons. Anyway, I watched the new film recently and loved it. I'm going to get back into Case Files 01, and want to catch up with the whole series. Are the American Case Files different content-wise from the UK versions? I know the Americans only go to 5, whereas the UK books are at 14 or something. Are we that far behind over there or are each of the American versions more content-heavy than the UK ones?

As david_a said they should be the same. To help you confirm, here's what each UK volume covers:

CF1: Prog 2-60
CF2: Prog 61-115
CF3: Prog 116-155
CF4: Prog 156-207
CF5: Prog 208-270

The UK volumes are at 19, with CF20 out in June and CF21 in October. Now the Restricted Files are done (thank Christ) Rebellion seem to be back to three volumes a year, so we'll be making small headway into the 20-year backlog. Hopefully they'll up that to four volumes for a while, so we get past the slack period and hit The Pit with CF25 next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martello posted:

So I guess once I get done with 5, 6 will probably be out. At that point I'll decide if it's worth it to import the UK versions. Probably is.

You may as well. It'll be a long time if ever before the US editions catch up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BERGfu posted:

Can anyone tell me where the collection The Day the Law Died falls specifically into the timeline of the series?

Immediately after The Cursed Earth. That's Case Files 2, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tato posted:

For those that care, the US edition of Case Files #6 drops on August 13 and there's an Amazon listing for Case Files #7 in February 2014, for whatever that's worth.

For those that really care, Case Files 21 hits the UK in October.

Judge Dredd Classics issue 1 came out this week. It's the start of Block Mania with a new colouring job that is at least better than the one from the late 1980s. You're still better off getting Case Files, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Judge Dredd Classics issue one was the first Judge Dredd I've ever read and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will continue to pick up that book. I'm assuming it was all originally black and white?

Apart from the cover (which was the wraparound cover to Prog 238) and possibly one or two double page spreads, yes. If you liked it, though, you would be better served buying Judge Dredd Case Files 5 - it has the complete story you're reading plus a lot more, and will cost less than buying Classics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 21 is out this week, covering most of 1994 including the Wilderlands crossover. Highlight is the bit where Dredd slams a perp's head into an ATM while he's trying to rob it and the ATM says "Thank you for banking with MegWest. Please withdraw your head."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two, the new series IDW is publishing. And while were at it, is any of the IDW Judge Dredd worth reading?

It's mostly OK, but the writer is starting to miss the point in favour of rehashing classics. MC2 might improve on this, I can't say.

Dredd: Underbelly is out this week, though, and that should be bought. It's a sequel to the Karl Urban movie and it really, really doesn't miss the point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I was just about to ask if Underbelly was any good. It seems kind of like a missed point that the end result of the grassroots campaign to get a sequel out of a film that was adapted from a comic resulted in another comic to me, but what do I know?

Underbelly isn't the end result of the campaign, it's part of the campaign. Also that's not the point to which I was referring.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

IDW is doing some kind of thing with a dozen Dark Judges and it's like, ugh just own ideas already. It has a very American comics vibe, where the're remixing stuff (Like Judge Cal showing up as an SJS judge - wtf why?)

Because he was an SJS Judge. Cal was on the Council of Five as head of the SJS.

I agree with the endless remixing, though. It's a shame - they were doing well at first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

I just got Case Files 5-12(?) and 5 is already kicking my rear end. I never really read comic books as a kid but Dredd is such a fun character to read. Where do I go once I run out of case files? America?

If you get through all 21 Case Files, all four volumes of the Restricted Files, all three volumes of Anderson: Psi Divison, America and The Dead Man and you still want more, there are a further 20 years worth of stories to read and many of these have been collected in single-story volumes. Although it's brilliant I wouldn't get The Pit as it's going to be in Case Files 24 later this year, but other major stories that won't be reprinted in a Case File this decade are Origins, Tour of Duty (two volumes) and Day of Chaos.

E: Boogeyman, the Kindle scans are decent enough quality but the viewing by panel isn't very good - it skips a few. And of course, they look better on a 10" tablet than on a Kindle screen.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo this storyline :stare:

Imagine reading it aged seven in 1981, waiting a week between instalments. Because that's how I got to read it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Are the complete case files out of order sometimes? As in not chronological? I bought the pdf from a skeezy online site and the scans seem kinda crappy, so I'm worried I paid for a bootleg :( For example, there's a whole story about a character coming back to life, but I never saw them die in the first place.

The Case Files are strictly in order apart from Megazine stories which don't cross over with 2000AD. Which character is it? I may be able to help.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Are the annuals included in the case files at all? Because the two stories you describe (going to town for his birthday, getting hitched) were in #5 and 6. I think I have singe weird amalgam of these stories. Eventually I wanted to buy the actual physical copies but at $20 a pop I'm looking at a significant investment.

The annuals are what's in the Restricted Files.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Honestly not sure since I don't have the books myself to compare. However the complete case files feature all the stories from the weekly progs especially the big serial story arcs such as the Apocalypse War, the Judge Child etc. The restricted case files on the other hand are only made up of the stories featured in the annuals and specials. I think the Case Files would only include a story from the annual if it led directly into a serial story or served as an epilogue. There were other attempts to collect Judge Dredd before Rebellion released the case files so it's possible you picked up one of those collections which might have mixed annual and prog stories, hard for me to say for certain.

I don't know of any attempt to exhaustively collect Dredd before the Case Files, and the CFs don't include anything from Sci-Fi Specials or Annuals. The first Dredd story to step outside the main comic was Judgement Day, and that only crossed over with the Megazine. It proved so awkward and unpopular that they never tried that again. Future stories with elements in both publications ran separate complete threads (e.g. Doomsday followed Dredd in 2000AD and Galen de Marco in the Megazine).

So, I'm guessing AYC may have found a bootleg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

For UK fans and people who import: Case Files 22 is due out this month, and Amazon lists it as being this week. Keep 'em peeled.

Looking at the issue numbers, it seems The Pit is going to be split across volumes 24 and 25 with the first 13-issue story in CF24 and the 17 remaining episodes in CF25 early next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, I'm done with IDW's Dredd. I was giving them a chance to see what they could do with Death, and the answer is "entirely miss the point and gently caress it up completely". It's turned into bad fanfic and it isn't worth reading any more.

Their Rogue Trooper reboot doesn't seem too bad thus far, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I collected the 'new' Eagle from about 1982 (I was 10) from the first issue, and it ran with the awesome Dan Dare (fantastic artist they had for Dan) and the photo stories until some point a few years later when they ditched the photos and went completely comic strip art. They even ditched the old Dan Dare artist and I was gutted. As brilliant as Ian kennedy was (he really was) it wasn't the same as the previous artist who was phenominal, Gerry Embelton I believe it was. If you can remember Gerry's era on Dan Dare, then surely you must remember the amazing bounty hunter alien who had a loving FLYING GREAT WHITE SHARK ON A CHAIN LEASH!

It was indeed Gerry Embleton. Here's an example of his Dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Posted elsewhere, but if you're old enough to have read Eagle and earlier 2000AD you might remember these as well :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/114465960270072175545/albums/5659912859652586929

Oh, I do. I'm so glad that I haven't read a Starblazer in a very long time.

• Locked thread