Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Judge Dredd is my favorite comic ever, and it is beautiful that John Wagner, Carlos Esquerra, and others are still on board decades later. There's nothing approaching the endless quality and variety of excellence across Wagner's run on this book from the 70s to present. If you're in this topic you probably know that, but just sayin'! I love that he has this platform to just keep coming back and writing this incredible comic, nothing quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flython posted:

Up to number 13 of the complete case files and still loving it.
Number 14 coming up for you is one of the all time greats, big fav of mine. Sure you've heard about the Necropolis epic! It rocks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just got Dark Justice, that is one fine looking book. It's beautiful man. I nominate all 2000AD collections come in this size from now on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zachack posted:

Ive been working through the US versions of the case files which presumably will go color at 13, but were progs before that in color and the case files in b/w to save on costs? One of the posts above implies as such.
There were 2 color pages in the center of a 2000AD issue, so a Judge Dredd story usually had the first two pages in color, and the rest of the story in black and white. The majority of 2000AD was black and white until the early 90s. That said, I don't think you're missing much, the coloring got much better when the magazine went full color.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rocks that 2000AD is hitting issue 2000 soon. And also awesome that a Wagner and Ezquerra Dredd is gonna be in that one. The best!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Payndz posted:

I got the latest Mega Collections, and boy, were they a reminder of just how bad the 1990s Ennis/Millar/Morrison run on Dredd was compared to Wagner. Dredd himself may have been a satire of the 1970s Dirty Harry-style 'tough cop', but they write him (deliberately or unintentionally) as a parody of a satire, and it becomes as stupid as Horatio Caine's pre-YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH one-liners. Dredd strikes a tough pose; Dredd spouts a hard-rear end comment; Dredd does something gratuitously brutal. (There's also a distinct tendency for the bad guys to direct their own gratuitous brutality against women, particularly in 'Inferno', which could be the writers' laddish "tee hee, look how transgressive we are!" attitude, or something deeper and nastier bubbling to the surface.)

When you have one of the writers describing his own work as poo poo in the accompanying interview ('Judgement Day') or the current editor of 2000AD introducing a collection with a disclaimer that he thinks the writers didn't know how to write Dredd properly ('Inferno'), you do have to wonder why these stories were included in what's supposed to be a best-of collection at all. (Other than maybe "we need to get Morrison, Millar and Ennis's names on as many covers as possible!")

Also, I know that continuity complaints and "that's not how things work!" objections in comics are the height of sperginess, but both 'Inferno' and 'Helter Skelter' involve a small group of bad guys taking over the Grand Hall of Justice, and from that controlling the entire city - ignoring the dozens if not hundreds of sector houses and other Justice Department facilities with their own forces, air support, tanks, Mantas and other military-grade hardware that could be used to retake it. When Wagner did a coup in 'Doomsday', he did it properly across the entire city - and set it up years in advance!

Well said! Got JD Case Files 27 recently, very nice to see John Wagner the only writer listed on the cover, along with the artists. He's my favorite writer, easily one of the all time greats. And handy that he's had such great artists along the way too.

Listened to an awesome 3+ hour podcast interview with Wagner recently, very cool. It's in three parts, here's a link to the first one, the rest are on that 2000AD thrillcast soundcloud page. https://soundcloud.com/2000-ad/the-2000-ad-thrill-cast-10-february-2016

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gus rules ok posted:

Does anyone know if there's a Strontium Dogs collection out there? I checked the Rebellion store but didn't see anything. I just finished Strontium Dog: The Final Solution and would like to see what other characters in that series get up to when Alpha's not around.

This site 2000ad.org is an awesome resource, here's the page for Strontium Dogs: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=stronts

For a while Judge Dredd Megazine has been packaged with an included "floppy" reprint collection of some comics. The first 60 page Strontium Dogs story is included with Meg #295 for example, and more in #305 etc, so that'd be one way to get it. Just make sure wherever you'd buy it from includes the floppy, unless getting it digitally which does include it for sure. I've never read that and have heard not good things, I do have some of those floppies though. Recently Strontium Dog comics do take place after The Final Solution though, you can see what John Wagner says happens with the story The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.

I love that story Top Dog by the way, fun Judge Dredd / Strontium Dog crossover.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I picked up Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 12, the latest collection released in the U.S. They've improved so much with this one. It's in color now for the first time, printed on nice glossy paper instead of newsprint, and they finally fixed the issue with the text running down into the binding so you couldn't read it.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm super happy with how much better the production quality is with this one.

Just wait till you see Case Files 14! Necropolis with the very groovy watercolory looking color Carlos Ezquerra art is where it's at.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 11, 2016

• Locked thread