Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I started reading 2000AD from the jumping on Prog after the film came out and caught the whole Cold Deck/Trifecta Dredd/Low Life/Simping Detective surprise crossover. I loved every minute of it, especially anything that involved Dirty Frank, what a great character he is.

I recently picked up Mega City Undercover Vol. 1 for a bit more Dirty Frank action and was surprised to find out that he isn't even the main character in the first set of Low Life strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Dredd in this week's 2000AD is a bit nuts too, what with it having witches, flying brooms and people turning into dragons. Lovely artwork in it too.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've been reading loads of Dredd since the film came out (having not read any before). I started on Case Files 2 and I'm currently a hundred pages or so into 5. To be honest I'm enjoying the recent stuff more than the classic stuff from the Case Files, which I'm finding a wee bit hit and miss. Although when they're good I love it, The Day The Law Died had some great stuff (Judge Fish and just Cal's general madness), and I particularly liked the parts of the Judge Child story where they ended up on the war-obsessed planet and the one with the disappearing jigsaw man.

Meanwhile at the other end of the timeline I've read Origins, both Tour Of Duty collections, and the first Day of Chaos book (I have the second one here ready to start). Happily, starting at both ends has meant I read The Cursed Earth before reading Origins (which follows up on some of the events of that story) and I'm also reading the Apocalypse War at the same time as the Day Of Chaos stuff, which seems to make sense.

I've also been reading the 2000AD strips since the film came out, which are all of an incredibly high standard. In fact one of the recent stories, The Forsaken, might be one of my favorite Dredd stories to date.

Anyway, does anyone know what novels directly preceded Tour of Duty? Are these still in print?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two, the new series IDW is publishing. And while were at it, is any of the IDW Judge Dredd worth reading?

The main IDW series is dogshit but Year One was great. The Judge Dredd Classics Apocalypse War reprint that IDW are doing is obviously good (and imo the colouring is really great), but the page sizes are all hosed up due to the British format being different.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 10, 2014

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've blown through a load of case files in the past month and the story Revolution from Case Files 11 is absolutely incredible. Dredd is just a total fascist bastard in it and the comic is 100% relevant today, it could have been written yesterday.

Another cracker is Curse Of The Spiderwoman from Case Files 12, whose premise had me rolling my eyes at first - a woman finds herself gradually transforming into a spider over the course of several weeks. But instead of playing it for laughs or going straight up grotesque with it, they treated it 100% seriously and it ended up being a completely horrifying story about her slowly losing her humanity while her family deals with the loss of a mother and wife before she gets forcibly exiled to the Cursed Earth.

What kind of crack was Wagner smoking back then?

• Locked thread