Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

You also learned how dangrous Ronald McDonald is

Haha, holy poo poo - I've never seen that one! Is that part of the original Cursed Earth saga? I'm sure it got pulled and never reprinted, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't understand why they pulled them - the Burger Wars characters certainly fall under parody protection. I'm not so sure about the "Soul Food" characters, as they are the original mascots. I guess companies were less willing to screw with big corporations at the time.

Cream_Filling posted:

I've always thought of the Cursed Earth as the libertarian hellhole equivalent to the nanny state hellhole of Megacity One. Giant corporations literally running amok.
Nah, it's more like crazy wasteland Wild West, with Mad Max gangs running around eating people. Considering the amount of radiation out there, I don't think many corporations would take the risk (unless things have changed in recent years of the comic.)

Question: Is the Megazine a collection of 2000AD strips, or are they standalone stories?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Are the Case Files in sequential order, or are they more "Best of" collections? I'd like to have something a bit easier to read...

VVV Thank you for the clarification. VVV

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 23, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not to derail, but if you guys like the Dredd comics, you might want to check out Marshal Law. It's written by Pat Mills and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill, both of whom worked on the Dredd comics. Imagine Judge Dredd and Watchmen had a baby, and you'll kind of get what Marshal Law is. It's very heavy parody, and carries over some of the best things about the Judge Dredd character (which makes sense, since they share a writer.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Did they ever finish Rogue Trooper? That was always my favourite strip, but I stopped reading after he killed the traitor, there was some stuff with getting Bagman back his body and a female trooper I think.

But what were the big story arcs?

Also the Strontium Dogs arc where they took over the UK was awesome.
I was never much of an RT reader, but I thought I remember reading that they did. Looking at Wikipedia though, I'm not seeing any corroboration of that though, though there are a couple of references mentioning his death. So maybe?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just noticed that on the cover of Day of Chaos, Dredd's Lawgiver actually looks like a real gun. When was it redesigned?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

It mostly always did. Lawgiver Mk 2 came into service around 2113, though.
Well, yeah, but it was always a skinny pea-shooter looking job. I've got a vinyl Dredd kit that looks like he's holding an anemic toy. I've always disliked that design...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sjurygg posted:

Just posting here to remind everyone that the best single line written in the entire Dredd universe is from when the people first rebel against Judge Cal, and a (SJS?) Judge savagely beats a protester exclaiming "I kill you in the name of the law!"

If somebody has that single frame scanned it would be awesome. It's pretty much dredd.jpg.
No, that would be cal.jpg, since Dredd doesn't just go off and kill people for no reason.

This is dredd.jpg:

vvv Agreed. vvv

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 28, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Being an absolute art nerd, but the FIST OF DREDD pic above's not Bolland's original - it's a trace. (No idea by whom, though it may well be by Bolland himself. Can't imagine why he'd do it, though.)
Yeah, you're right, but it was a nicer version than the scans out there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool - I look forward to seeing the final Minty film. Thanks for the reminder.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yannos posted:

I did kinda miss why Dredd suddenly looks so terrible after being in the cursed earth though... doesn't take sunburn very well it seems.
It's less sunburn, and more rad-burn.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

david_a posted:

Judge Dredd never had any crossovers with Nemesis/ABC Warriors, right? I picked up Vol 1 of the Complete Nemesis (it looks like this is all the US has so far) and it's wonderfully insane. Kevin O'Neill's artwork reminds me a bit of Simon Bisley in ABC Warriors: The Black Hole.
Kevin O'Neill's artwork is great - I love looking for the little quips and snarky comments in the background signs and logos. Check out the Marshal Law comic for more of his work - it must take the guy days to do one panel.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yannos posted:

Some fan-made movie just came out :Judge Minty

Haven't had time to check it out yet but it seems pretty competently made.

It's out? Thanks for the heads up - I wanted to see it when it was released.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I haven't gone through all 11 pages of the thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned before, the Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD documentary is really good so far (I'm about 30 minutes in.) It's got surprisingly high production values, and the opening credit animations are great. I pretty much only read Judge Dredd, but the whole origin of 2000AD is pretty interesting.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

The Dead Man was collected as a separate volume. It's absolutely worth picking up, and it wasn't included in the CFs because they ran concurrently with Dredd rather than in main continuity. John Ridgway was a great artist - I say was, he's not dead but is mostly retired now.
Aw hell. Are there any other books missing from the Case Files? I've got "America" so that isn't a concern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I picked up Origins. Am I alone in thinking that it really wasn't all that great? Yeah, it was cool seeing some of the back story fleshed out, but I really didn't think it was all that well written - one glaring instance was the gang that attacks the Judges twice, both times ending in someone asking for help, and both times a Judge shooting them. It's like Wagner forgot they already did that scene. And, oh lord, the chin mutation.

I really think they could have done a better story in half the page count. Or maybe I just forgot about how silly Cursed Earth stories are...

• Locked thread