Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
As a gay man, if I ever get transported back in time I will have to strongly consider being a landschneckt after these past couple of pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Instant Sunrise posted:

Why did so many Knights in the 13th and 14th centuries get into fights with snails?

Salt was expensive.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Thanks for the explanation, that's really interesting! That makes me wonder, though: what sort of things would those people have found insulting that maybe we wouldn't?

Usual caveat of long time period and large place, but questions of honor is the big one that springs to mind. Suppose that carries into the early modern and (early) modern as well.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

itsamazingtomehowpeoplewentforcenturieswithoutpunctuationmarksofanykindexceptthosedotsthatsometimesgotshovedinbetweenromansquarecapitalsseriouslyidontgethowthatshitwaslegiblebutthatsprobablymy20thcenturymindsfault

If only handwriting was as neat and standardized as typing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pharmaskittle posted:

I hope God appreciates me only using ONE stick of butter in this alfredo sauce

Reminds me of the scene in The Caine Mutiny when they're providing bombardment for an amphibious landing and their minds turn to the men on the ground while getting their ice cream so they put a bit less sprinkles on it.

• Locked thread