Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
One thing I've always been curious about, is the armour of the Normans when they invaded england. On the bayeux tapestry they are all shown to wear scale armour, but that was probably just due to the fact that depicting chainmail would be really hard on that particular medium. So i assume they used chainmail, but was it just the nobles that used it? Or did the entire army use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
What would be the best weapon (non-ranged) to give a mass of fairly untrained people? A shield and a spear?
I've been also thinking about pikes, but I think that would require the regiments to be fairly well trained in maneuvering in order to be effective enough to keep the enemy from getting too close.

Aside from the shield and spear combo, I have always regarded the halberd as the best weapon to mass produce for untrained levies, since it can both stab and smash while keeping the enemy at bay, aswell as drag mounted troops of their horses. It just seems like a weapon that anyone could use somewhat effectively even with only minimal training.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
How feasible would caltrops be as a good area-denial weapon agaisnt cavalry? I imagine the amount steel needed to make thousands of caltrops big enough to not just get trampled into the dirt would probably be too expensive for the average nation during that period.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It was traditional for a studying craftsman to spend 7 years as an apprentice and 7 years as a journeyman before being accepted into the craftsman's guild. Presumably knights used the same time schedule because it followed the widely accepted custom.

Considering the average lifespan of a medieval person (in the dark ages) was like... 35-40, then wouldnt that mean there would be very few masters around? Unless the apprentice ship started from childhood?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Siivola posted:

Yeah, people bathed. For instance, the city of Bath in Somerset was known for its hot springs enouh to eventually get named after them in the late 800s. On the other side of Europe, the Finns had invented the sauna by then. It was also mentioned early in the thread how vikings would bathe every Saturday.

Fun fact, Saturday in Norwegian is called Lørdag, based of the old norse word laugardagr wich basically meant bath day.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
About armour manufacturing; was there any part during the high/late middle ages with industrial scale armour making, kinda like the old Roman slave factories?

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 5, 2014

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
In regards to Zweihanders, I've read that they were made as a counter to the pike formations at the time. Wich makes sense, since a big sword with a long reach is perfect for chopping apart pikes. But where the Zweihanders actually effective beyond that? Did they train the zweihander wielders to act in coordination ala the pike and halberd formations? Or was the zweihander training mostly focused on invdivdual skills?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Squares don't get stuck "tightly" into each other, but you're correct about the position of the guys with the Zweihänder.

The contention that they functioned as anti-halberd or anti-pike assault units is from a nineteenth century book and is not supported by period evidence. Instead, they surrounded the company flag and their role, while definitely military, may also have been partly ritualistic--the swords are similar to German execution swords, and we know that early modern German notions of justice and honor were really involved and quasi-religious/magical.

Yeah this makes good sense. I've often been thinking about zweihanders and never understood why on earth somebody would take such an unwieldy thing into battle. Them being mostly ceremonial/shock troops to use in a bind makes more sense than them being actually expected to outfight pike formations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Are there any reliable accounts regarding how the early Handgonnes were used? Were they given to specialized units, and just tried out for kicks? Or did somebody at some point try to outfit large parts of their army with handgonnes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Was slings ever a commonplace thing in armies during ancient times? If so, whats the main reason it went out of fashion? I recon its easier to supply a mass of people with slings and rocks for ammo, but I guess it got less range and power than bows.

• Locked thread