Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baconroll posted:

The skeleton of King Richard III of England has now been positively identified with DNA - whats interesting is the range of wounds - Suggestions are there was an arrow in the spine, and also a halberd and dagger wounds.

Quick update because this fascinates me:

It turns out the "arrow" was actually a Roman nail that got mixed into the site. Meanwhile it seems that he did have a majorly hosed up spine (scoliosis seems to be the modern diagnosis) and did have a bit of a hunched back, though likely not to the point that Tudor propaganda claimed (much like how Anne Boleyn wasn't a demonic hag as was later claimed by the Elizabethan equivalent of haters).

From the injuries he sustained, it seems the story about him leading a headlong charge towards Henry Tudor's position is true. His horse was killed or became stuck and he ended up dismounted and surrounded by Tudor troops and at some point lost his helmet. After that it was over for him pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's still a matter of some debate exactly how the Death manifested, with some folks still contending, like Michael McCormick in 2003, that it primarily spread by fleas. The fact that articles like this need to be published in 2011 show that 'we' is a very limited group. Hell, whether or not it's even Yersinia Pestis is debated, though recent archaeological stuff seems fairly conclusive that it is.

Basically this all reinforces the fact that historical diagnosis is HARD and weird.

Maybe it's just because I'm a modern historian and this isn't my subject but I don't really see why the plague couldn't have been transmitted by both the rat-flea combination and human-human interactions. I mean on the face of it, they don't seem mutually exclusive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Namarrgon posted:

I think the word 'historically' might be a bit muddy when talking about the Iliad. I'm not entirely sure but I was under the impression there is no clear answer whether the Trojan war took place at all.

It's accepted that a Trojan War seems historically likely. Whether the Trojan War happened is another matter. For what it's worth, though, Homer got a lot of geographic details of the Hisarlik region right according to the latest archeology.

As for Achilles, it's certainly a genuine Mycenaean name.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 16, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

It also means "tribal grief" or "the grief of the corps," so there may be some symbolism going on there as well.

Assuming those aren't false etymologies. The recorded Mycenaean Achilles was a shepherd, though heaven alone knows how many other people had that name prior to the end of the Bronze Age.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Squalid posted:

Grumblefish is an English prosecutor working in America and one time literally asked a judge to mete out the maximum allowable sentence because "I consulted the victim and in the liver was engorged with blood, indicating the triumph of virtue." He gets paid to own young black men repeatedly with Legalist/Aristotelean philosophy. Basically he owns.

Wait, what?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

OK so I have a fairly broad question: What caused the decline of Pisa? I know they were fairly hot poo poo in the 13th century, but I know very little about northern Italy in the Middle Ages. It seems like a lot of fun.

Broadly, their maritime power was outfought and comprehensively defeated by Genoa during the thirteenth century and never really recovered in the following decades, in part because the Pisan harbor gradually silted up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

brozozo posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good history of the crusades? How highly regarded is Runciman's work these days?

I'd recommend Christopher Tyerman's God's War.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And here I thought Lord Charles Beresford had lovely handwriting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fspades posted:

Then poo poo got really weird after Sabbah died but explaining that story would require me to delve into Shi'a beliefs and other arcane poo poo, so... :v:

This is the Medieval History thread, arcane poo poo is pretty much par for the course. Delve and explain away.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

And even the kills aren't insta-kills.

Imagine being chased by that guy.

Remind me never to aim for the fubflance of the heart if I'm forced to fight a duel.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So the crossbow "suddenly and inexplicably discharged", eh? Bullshit it did. That's right up there with "I was cleaning my gun and it went off" in terms of Obvious Lies.

Fuckers were probably horsing around with the thing and it did what it was made to do. Right into that dude's face. Speaking of which, did you come across any accidental deaths/maimings/whatevers through absurd negligence of firearms safety in your researches, Hegel? Considering you're working on drunken German mercenaries I suspect the answer is "gently caress Yes."

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 11, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JaucheCharly posted:

Right, but the string doesn't sit to 100% secure. He might have put it down hard on the table and the string slipped out of the lock, or the mechanism was poo poo.

Fair enough. I was just assuming there's a lot of details wrong because it was the Daily Mail.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

2. Keegan's account of Agincourt is not good.

You can pretty much replace Agincourt with any battle and this point will be equally valid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Invincible Spleen posted:

Sun Tzu mentions that one of the uses of fire in warfare is to "hurl dropping fire amongst the enemy". Later commentators indicated that this could be done by firing flaming arrows into the enemy camp.

http://suntzusaid.com/book/12/1

Or jars of burning liquid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kanine posted:

Are metal detectors used very much in archaeology? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I just never notice them much in the backgrounds of photos of dig sites. I suppose that leads to another thing I've been curious about with digging up old stuff, how do you find it in the first place? Say you find one artifact by chance somewhere how far are you willing to spread out from that one point to look for other stuff?

I'm not an archeologist any more, but I believe it depends very much on the type of site you're working on. I worked on a rural archeological site in Ireland and there was no call for them since pretty much every artifact at the site was bits of ceramic or stone.

If you were doing work on a gunpowder era battlefield or a shipwreck of any era I'd expect there'd be a great use for it. Also lots of buried coin hoards are found by amateurs with metal detectors.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 25, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ye olde quote is not ye olde edite.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bendigeidfran posted:

Go ahead. Weird folk beliefs and unstable firearms sound like a great combination.

Let me tell you why a .22LR bullet is so deadly...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Why the hell are you linking to something at kansas.com...oh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

my favorite bit is the two apparently had some prior quarrel and then the one dude showed up at the other dude's house with a sword

And of course it would be some weeaboo katana bullshit sword instead of something cool like a zweihänder.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

real katanas are cool, don't let weebs ruin them for you

Real katanas are cool and samurai are cool, especially when they're played by Toshiro Mifume, but dollars to donuts this guy didn't have a real one. He had some piece of poo poo from the local gaming place made by weebs, for weebs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

it's weebs all the way down

The odor makes a western front trench smell like vanilla extract.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hogge Wild posted:

From what I've read, they weren't very common, and they weren't effective in sinking ships, but could be useful in killing rowers and marines. When warmachines were used on galleys, the galleys already had decks, so sinking them with catapults would have required massive stones.

Don't forget the fact that carting a bunch of massive stones around is a great way to overload and sink your own ship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey Hey Rodrigo, in relation to my forthcoming First Crusade effortpost, I want to give you a list of names and ask your opinion of them:

Riley-Smith, Tyerman, Runciman, Mayer, David Nicolle, Peter Frankopan, Walter Kaegi, Robert Hoyland, Thomas Asbridge.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I definitely need to start doing squats again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

that's "plan A," in fact

Is there much of a connection between the massive amounts of coin due to these armies and the evolution of paper money and checks and money orders and those sorts of things?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

i have no idea, although as you can see in that quote people did use checks.

I know that banknotes became a standard in France because Louis XIV didn't have enough precious metal after all his wars, but I wasn't sure if these were earlier versions of the same thing.

From the way you've described things, it sounds like nobody ever got paid back then. Is that accurate?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

there's a reason both spain's bankers and a lot of its generals were genoese

Passing the buck? "Sorry, you'll have to take this up with the main office in Genoa."

quote:

see edit three. you are also paid when you're mustered out.

Ah. Sounds a lot like a combination of Civil War enlistment bonuses and Roman legionary retirement payments.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

pretty sure I'm onto something here, Rodrigo Diaz

Will you two just fight a duel already?

D'you need a second?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feedmegin posted:

Hey, Britain got half of one once! Best Britain, too, the Commonwealth not this silly monarchy nonsense

Best Britain? Yeah right.

Hurr I'm Oliver Cromwell I'm ugly as poo poo and I loving love genocide hurrrrr.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The strategy and mathematics of "big gun" naval warfare (everything from ships of the line up to WW-II battleships) gives an overwhelming advantage to whoever can bring the strongest armada to the fight. Naval battles

Wherever did you hear this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, I've read that book. I don't think it says what you think it says.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

Part of the big deal of the dreadnought race was that range increased dramatically versus range. When weapons have very short ranges such that units tend to pair off, it's closer to linear than n squared, which is basically the limit as the ratio of range to speed increases. If fights aren't between enemies that can trivially fire on any given enemy unit at any time, then the assumptions of the n squared law fall apart.

That's true in theory, yes, but war isn't answerable to a set of equations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

the worst thing i ever heard happened at an ECW reenactment: it was a hot day and some cuirassier, in full harness, filled his helmet with water, poured it over himself, and promptly walked into an electric fence

Poor Corporal Ren Hoek.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hogge Wild posted:

Which PYF thread are you mad at?

The correct answer is all of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

edit 2: Because I was wondering, I did find one of Wallenstein's swords--it's in the Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin--but I can't find the measurements anywhere. It's pretty though:

You can't find measurements because men always lie about the size of their swords.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

i'm the biggest SJW on SA, according to some people, and every time I post outside of A/T eventually those people find me. this has been happening for three years

This always makes me giggle because if you were the biggest "SJW" nobody would give a poo poo about "SJWs".

Putting it in quotes because its yet another term that's been Ruined By The Internet. Like it had value for about a week describing crazy fringe Tumblr types a few years ago, but then the misogynists started using it to describe any woman to the left of Marge Schott or Phillys Schlafly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

edit 2: lol this happened more than once in the 20s, awesome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_de_Montmorency-Bouteville

Oh hey, his daughter married a de Coligny. I recognize that name!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Today I learned the real name of what I always just called conquistador helmets. Thanks thread!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

the solution (on the consumer end) is to never go out to eat, never go to parties, buy used clothing, and spend all your money on early modern weapons and gear

obviously

Makes me glad I specialized in battleships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

counterpoint: i have a sword hung right above my bed by the baldric right now and as far as i know you don't

No but I have a miniature rum barrel made from the teak decking of Admiral Jellicoe's flagship on my desk.

• Locked thread