Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To be fair, 1100's to Henry V is a considerable time difference, and the geographic difference could also matter a lot. Not to mention King Henry V maybe just not giving a gently caress, he just wanted some drat mustard on his sausages. I doubt anyone would tell him he was acting like a poor person by preferring it.

I get the impression that no one could tell Henry V anything. Like King Charles VI was like "No, your not the King of France, don't be ridiculous - ok fine! Here's the crown and my daughter, just please stop killing people, Jesus!"

What's the consensus on Henry's claims to the French throne, or just his person in general? Shakespeare's play is one of my favourites, but I doubt it's very historically accurate (except I suppose in how it reveals how well-liked Henry V was to the English). Looking at the basics of the things he did, it kinda seems like he would be in the running for "1400's Craziest rear end in a top hat".

Also, any information on Shakespeare is always interesting, all things considered this playwright's influence is pretty staggering. How dumb are the theories over his reality, or is there something to them? Is the influence of his plays detrimental to popular understandings of history, like in terms of promulgating misconceptions? How do historians unpack them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread