Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

the JJ posted:

They called it the Holy Roman Empire for a reason.
I dunno dude. It felt like all of my professors loved "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire. Discuss :ironicat:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I'm not talking about a high-school teacher racing through your one allowed semester of non-US history and covering all of the HRE with a snappy one-liner. I'm talking about the professors who taught me undergrad & graduate courses for my Medieval & Renaissance Studies major at a well-regarded university -- professors who felt that it was a good in-class conversation or a good essay question (one of many) because it required you to take a position, make a decent argument, and demonstrate a lot of knowledge in the process. I promise they knew and taught a whole bunch about the HRE.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Chamale posted:

What kind of opportunities did women have to learn in Medieval England? I understand that formal education didn't exist for most people, but I'd like to know more about the kinds of informal education from family and friends that were available to girls and women at the time.
It varied a ton, by century and by class and by luck of the draw. In general, women weren't as uneducated as you might expect; many were literate and numerate. Middle-class women could learn from relatives or other women. The daughters of wealthy families might be educated in a convent, while the wealthiest families could afford tutors. How much to teach women (and whether to do so at all) was a hot debate, so there are plenty of primary sources to check out, but pragmatically, it was convenient if you could at least trust your wife to manage the place -- whether a modest bakery or a grand estate -- while you were away.

I really can't overemphasize how much it varied, though. Even at the end of the medieval period, you had extremely educated women like Jane Grey or More's family, but even later, one of Shakespeare's daughters was likely illiterate. They're all English and from the 16th century (Shakespeare's daughter 17th c.), but for a broader view, very relevant names are Hildegard von Bingen (12th c. Germany), Christine de Pizan (14th-15th c. France), Veronica Franco (16th c. Italy) and other cortegiana onesta, and Sor Juana Inez de la Cruz (17th c. Spain/Mexico). Warning: if you google any, you'll probably disappear down a rabbit hole and come up a few hours later.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 29, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Railtus posted:

Spinning, weaving and midwifery were very much female activities at the time. Again, women had to know what they were doing.
This is kind of misleading. On a domestic level, then yes, if someone was spinning by the fireplace it would be Mom. As time went on and guilds grew, production moved outside the home, and producing textiles for sale was definitely a man's world. There were more women in textile guilds than in other guilds, but it was still overwhelmingly male.

The majority of women who ran businesses were widows who'd inherited them from their husbands, so as you say, they'd had years of experience when they took over. It was rare, but not unheard-of (within certain fields), for a woman to start a business of her own.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
60% of calories from carbs isn't too far off from today, is it?

Nobility and royalty definitely had access to foods others wouldn't. Spices and exotic foods were available if you had the money -- and the class. If you were, say, a merchant with the money but not the class, there were actually sumptuary laws regulating what you were allowed to have.

Practical issues were of course the biggest limiter. Look up medieval hunting laws -- huge amounts of forest were enclosed and set aside, and it was forbidden for anyone else to hunt there. You would be lucky if you could snare rabbits elsewhere; you definitely weren't getting deer, boar, anything brought down by hawking, etc.

And if you want something crazy and awesome, check out subtleties. "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" is barely the beginning.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 1, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not sure. I watched it awhile back, so I don't remember specific quibbles, but I remember being irritated a lot.

In general I think he's arguing against strawmen, beginning with stereotypes that aren't widely held past like fifth grade (or outside of bad high fantasy). I don't think the series is a good intro to medieval history, and it's inadequate for anyone who really wants to get into it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Temperance was generally the virtue opposite drunkenness, fyi.

When size was seen as positive, it wasn't in terms you would think of today, like "BBW" or "sexy back rolls" or whatever. But you do absolutely see chubby women in art, praise for plumpness, disparagement of scrawny or wizened figures, etc. This happens on and off throughout history -- our preference today isn't the discovery of One True Rightness, just another fad.

Henry VIII was definitely not bigger-than-reality-show, fused-to-the-couch fat. He was always a big, athletic man, and kept eating like one even after his injuries and age forbade him from exercising the same way. Think retired football player (but smaller).

There was definitely physical recreation for the upper classes -- jousting, horseback riding, tennis -- but it was for fun, or to hone fighting skills for men. You wouldn't see the average noblewoman waking up thinking "I must get in my three hours of tennis today so I don't turn into a fatty."

Remember we're also talking about hundreds of years and plenty of countries, so obviously norms are going to differ within this period, too. Rubens vs. Botticelli (but note even Botticelli's bellies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Rad. And I'm familiar with medieval composition since the college I went to made us all take a year of early music (it ruled), I just didn't know if this was the real thing or not. Thanks!
The song is legit but that arrangement is very modern. This version is probably more appropriate (and much better imo), although still not all-male.

e: I'm trying to find a good performance of "Sumer is icumen in" (fun and even older) but every video on youtube blows. Post 'em if you got 'em

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2013

• Locked thread