Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Nektu posted:

So basically wether sex with women that were not your wife was if not "ok" then at least "understandable" depended on the existing amount of homophobia? Heh.

Does female homosexuality have any place at all in historic texts, or did they do it 100% below covers so to speak?

Well, there's always Sappho. But she was more classical than medieval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does shooting an arrow ruin the shaft? Hitting something solid with it, I mean. Fantasy novels usually feature characters recovering arrows, buy was that actually a thing after battles?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One thing that I heard (maybe from Hegel or Railtus one of the other history threads regulars) was that medieval warfare tended to be a lot of marching with a little fighting. So, like, you go on a campaign, you may fight the enemy one or two days out of the 80 you're on campaign for or whatever. During the periods of marching, you're not in much physical danger (except from disease, I guess)? So the constant stress that you saw in 20th century war just wasn't possible, ergo less PTSD. Although I wonder about survivors of long sieges.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Medievalists know how to get down.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

As far as I remember munitions plate isn't the same level of quality as the armor that guys who would have been wearing full harnesses decades ago wore.

Wasn't it a little thicker, though? You know, because the guy wasn't covered head to foot so they could make the remaining armor heavier - and thus more effective.

Not an expert, if someone wants to school me on this I'd be happy to hear it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

apart from the place names, the language it's described in, and the map from Google Maps, this was functionally indistinguishable from the court documents i read all day long

I saw your comment before reading the link and just assumed you were talking about one of your dudes.

Hey, why were they so litigious? Is it just that their court records survive while older stuff didn't or were they really super sue-happy?

If so, why? Were things similar elsewhere? The Return of Martin Guerre (I forget the author's name) either implies or states that the French of roughly the same period loved to get their jurisprudence on, too.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 23, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Have any reenactors tried strapping Gopros to their head/weapons yet? Because someone should.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Not reenactors but my LARP buddy did both. Strapping a gopro to your weapon is the fastest way to get motion sickness you can imagine :vomarine:

Had some cool footage, including me getting concussed from a broken LARP hammer, but we had to take them all down as the organisers banned Gopro footage :saddowns:

Your organizers suck and I hate them

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I kind of figured but I was sorta hoping you'd have some explanation beyond victim blaming. I dunno, divine intervention or whatever.

Well, you see, the city has ways of shutting that down if it's a legitimate sack.

e: did you see how Madgeburg was dressed?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hypha posted:

Sorry Hey Gal, but that is a tang, not a wang.

Women think everything is about sex - maybe hegel's subjects were right!!!!!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hypha posted:

I found the wang in the thread.

Meh, I won't double down on it or anything. It was just garbage-level trolling on my part.

What were gender relations/sex like earlier/in other places? I've heard that in the 10th-14th centuries the south of France was fairly libertine, with young folks dating much like we do and not getting married into their thirties, and also possibly (very maybe) having a semi-legitimized form of male gay marriage, while the North was much more hardcore about the no sex til' marriage thing.

And even after hearing that I have no idea how women were treated vs. men in either location.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

eh, no skin off my nose

So what did these military women you post about do? Did they manage the households of their various men, engage in business activities, make stuff, repair stuff? If you'll excuse the heteronormativity, women like to be around men and vice versa but mercenary companies sound like the kinds of organizations that can't have idle hands just eating stuff. Did any of them leave behind written records or was literacy a dude's thing back then?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The problem with rough terrain is that it is also generally undesirable. Once the Thebans took Messenia from Sparta, they were content to leave them with the relatively barren peninsula of Lacedaemon. So, too, did Philip II neglect to fight them even after they rejected his demand to lay down their arms. Some spots are just not worth it, depending on the attacker's strategic aims. What I mean is you will probably want a rationale to justify why the bad guys are there in the first place.

If we're free to play with geography, maybe we can assume that the area is in a gap between two mountain ranges.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Patents of Nobility (caveat: everything I learned from this time period was gleaned from repeated watchings of 'A Knights Tale')

Was rock and roll as popular in the middle ages as depicted in popular media?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

So that's where TR got it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

DandyLion posted:

AKA - The Good 'Ole Days

Welcome to the Republican Party Knights Templar

• Locked thread