Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Kassad posted:

The guy's holding the blade tight enough that it doesn't move at all and so it can only dig into his palm a little. The very beginning even shows him grabbing someone else's sword and it's just not budging since they're both pulling on it. He says gloves wouldn't protect against cuts but they make him feel more confident than when grabbing the blade with his bare hands.

Guy I worked with talked about some idiot co-workers of his who got cut-resistant gloves from their employer and decided to test them by having one guy holding on tight to a knife and one guy yanking it out.

Turns out even cut-resistant gloves aren't made for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Grip strength plays a huge role, obviously. If you can grip sufficiently stronger than the person pulling, you should be fine. Also kitchen knives tend to be insanely sharp, and the overall length means it is easier to pull forcefully than a sword. Would I personally do it? No, and I have pretty good grip strength, but it was certainly done historically and makes sense from a physics perspective.

Yeah, it was mostly a story about how security guards are idiots.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I was wondering about the diet, exercise and physical build of fighting men before the gunpowder age. The diet and exercise regimen of the Army now is less-than-ideal from a sports nutrition point of view, but it works. 3000 calories a day, with one grain, one protien one veg three times a day won't make you really built, or really lean but it will let you hump a ruck and dig a trench. From reading about daily life in the middle ages, most of the descriptions either focus on peasents eating bread and onions or the exotic feats of the nobility. Likewise they describe backbreaking physical labour on the fields or fencing drills and leisurely hunts on horseback. I also know that people were much smaller back then. Would a medieval knight be eating 200 grams of protien a day and have low bodyfat like a modern athlete?

I don't expect an understanding of sports nutrition as such but did they know what food made you stronger and what made you fat? Did they do physical exercise or did they get fit by practicing?

A medieval rich person's diet was essentially meat, meat, meat and more meat. And maybe porridge and bread on top of that if they felt like it. Nutrition wasn't very well understood, considering that gout was pretty much endemic earlier.

People got fit by practicing and living active lives.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i looked this up actually! rates of gout are currently rising

It's probably that all thoses dudes from the 17th century we read about are mostly rich fat fuckers so of course it seems like everyone has gout.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Unless they lived like right next to the coast, probably not a lot of fish.

Fishing lakes was a lord's right and even if John Q Peasant got the rights he's better off selling any fish he caught. This plus a lack of refrigeration made getting fish expensive.

Fresh fish was sort of a luxury or a treat, but salt fish was a staple.

And fishing rights depended on where you lived. Sweden for instance didn't have much nobility around to restrict the common folk from hunting or fishing.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

and it'll now fit along the small of my back or on my hip, ready to get drawn during a fight about all of the dumb bullshit these people get into fights about

Don't carry anything along the small of the back, unless you're really into getting your kidneys bruised or a spinal injury.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

where should i put it, do you think? my sword will be hanging low on my left hip on a baldric

Right side, vertically, since then you can pull the dagger with one neat movement and then plant it in someone's forehead or eye.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

so, people who don't actually know how to swordfight at reenactments. All these bullshit little twirls and stage fighting. I want to hurt those guys in specific, tell me how.

Parry a blow, then keep their blade controlled while you pommel them in the face.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

my sword doesn't have a super huge amount of blade presence, so i'll have to use positioning for that

Roughly, when you parry and move closer, let their blade slide towards the hilt of your sword, and then reverse the sword and pommel pommel. Should work. Harder to explain in text than actually doing.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

"I want to show people that they're swording bad"

"have you considered becoming sword batman"

I fail to see the issue.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get that they're supposed to be sustained by their banditry, but it feels like stealing all that food would be a lot of work, and very quickly draw attention from authorities.

Remember: this is a world without cops. The authorities knowing about bandits on the average doesn't mean squat unless they want to make the effort to get soldiers to wash them out.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

There's a fun Tony Robinson show (maybe Fact Or Fiction) where he looks at the the origins of the Robin Hood stories in one of the episodes. It talks a bit about outlaws living in the woods (Barnsdale, not Sherwood Forest) and what is a thing is that outlaws could in the long term only survive with the support of someone else, probably a family member. The average medieval dude doesn't have the resources or the skills to survive alone in the woods for a longer period of time, especially not if they're also trying to avoid discovery.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

goddamnit, i'm wondering if you can put gun oil on wood and leather to protect it instead of using a separate product for wood, leather, and metal, and thanks to the lube you can't google that any more

At least Ballistol (lol) is a general purpose gun oil that you can use for leather and wood.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

not a huge fan of vegetable oils on metal ever since olive oil made my sword all gunky last year. like rodrigo diaz said about linseed oil

Just use Ballistol. It was created to have a general-purpose gun oil that could also be used for leather goods and wood. Also it is very cheap. And probably won't burn your building down.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

denmark-norway after the abolition of noble elections was pretty close to actual, no-poo poo absolutism where legal power really and seriously radiated from the king in copenhagen and basically nowhere else

I always thought that was a function of the monarch having reign over Schleswig and Holstein as a duke of the HRE, which gave the monarchs of Denmark financial independence.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Poldarn posted:

Can someone expand on the role of the blacksmith in medieval societies? I was watching Vikings and got to the part where they executed the blacksmith, which strikes me as weird because it was such a valuable trade. I don't think a blacksmith would be immune to punishment but I've got some notion in my head that it would have been handled differently.

Fun fact: the societies that Vikings present didn't even have the death penalty.

A blacksmith was like any other tradesperson, really. Someone who knows how to do something that other people necessarily can't do, but making stuff that's actually important for everyday life (nails, horseshoes, whatever) weren't big secrets to make.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Bendigeidfran posted:

To key off the discussion of absolutist monarchies earlier, I had some questions about proto-democratic government institutions. So Folkmoots, Althings, and the like, assemblies where laws and leaders are voted upon by a large proportion of society. What I've read about the subject suggests that they're relics of "tribal" government, from a stage where local leaders hadn't consolidated the resources needed for a powerful aristocracy or monarchy. In that situation it makes sense that ordinary citizens could exercise greater political authority. Then as we move further from Late Antiquity, military pressures from larger societies encourages power to concentrate, and these institutions begins to disappear.

But I'm not sure about these broad conclusions. I even suspect that the historiography on this subject may have been tainted with nationalism/attempts to back-project the modern idea of democracy onto earlier societies. So instead of sifting through everything for bias I'll be lazy and ask y'all:

1) Broadly speaking, how was the idea of "suffrage"/whether-you-get-to-vote-or-not thought of at these meetings?

2) How were these institutions recognized by writers in the time period? Were parallels to, say, Athens and the Roman Republic made?

3) Where did they survive the longest, and is it accurate to say they ever "disappeared" at all?

I'd think that the biggest thing to wrap one's head around is that practically everywhere before the 19th century, rulers were reliant on the people governing themselves beyond anything else. Also, formal rules didn't mean much in many cases, for instance women might not officially be allowed to get involved, but if the woman happens to be someone of note in, say, early medieval Scandinavian society, she might get involved despite not being able to do so in a formal sense. Only a modern society is truly capable of excluding an entire gender from positions of power.

One of the major elements you'd see is courts in many cultures, where you see local peasants run official trials and settle disputes and so on. The whole "jury of one's peers" comes from this in Common Law. In an european context, this is a Germanic cultural thing.

The same kind of thing still exists in Somalia, where clan law and clan courts are more important than the non-existent Mogadishu government. Which leads to fun situations such as getting owned in business deals because you don't have a sponsor from a clan who will represent you if necessary.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Half the fun of being a cavalryman is having a pointless fight with the enemy's cavalry and then looting their camp while the infantry does the actual battle.

- Prince Rupert of the Rhein

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

pointless? you get to look really cool

That's a fair point.

Bonus of being cavalry: you get to loot your own camp too, occasionally.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Charles the Bad was the best moniker.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Idk man, calling someone a cheat or a hick or a cuck all seem like honor-based insults to me, we just react less violently.

Niklas Ericsson says it's because the modern man believes in internal honor and not external honor. Internal honor is far harder to damage with insults and slander.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Gentlemen, ladies, does anyone of you live in a place where there's loads of birch trees? Like, paper birch. Swedes or Finns? I need *you* to collect some special birch bark for me.

I live in Finland, but paper birch only exists in North America, so you're probably thinking of some other sort of birch.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Hm. Silver birch (Betula pendula) is common in Finland? The ideal material would look like this:

I need long and flawless sections. No warts, gnarls or holes. As long and wide as possible, 40x4cm at least is good, anything above it is better. Young trees often have very smooth and high quality bark, but they're thinner. Any tree with a trunk diameter of 10-15cm should be good. I'll pay the shipping and you tell me how much you want for your time.

I'll check with my housemate, who does historical crafts for a living about harvesting bark, I'm not 100% sure but it might be a bad time of the year to do so, qualitywise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

It's ok, if spring or summer is better, we'll do it then.

One of my housemate's colleagues has birch bark in store and apparently has at least one piece big enough for your needs, drop me a PM with your contact info and I'll set stuff up.

• Locked thread