Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

Related to this, on the IRemember site, one of the tankers tells a story about the tommy guns that came with the M4. One of the dudes quarreled with another guy and he shot him with the thompson, but the bullet got stuck in his padded winter jacket.

I've heard that the M1A1 carbine would be stopped at range by sufficiently thick overcoats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

A shipment of "good" looking english ladies, to finally break the morale of the french?

The joke is everyone's dentistry sucked back then.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jorbo Marmite is a really good game of thrones name well done.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Of course if you're not dead-set on the whole "suit" thing you can encase a man inside 70 tons of steel, ceramic, and depleted uranium, attach a 1,500HP turbine, and let him crush his enemies beneath his iron treads.

Long before I'd ever played Civilization we'd be watching old movies on TCM and AMC and they had a lot on set in Rome and in World War 2 and I would wonder just how many legionnaires would it take to beat a tank? And you know what? You people. You people ruined it. Now I can't even masturbate anymore without considering the logistics of supplying a time travelling sherman tank, either with food, water and amphetamines for the crew and fuel and ammunition for the tank itself. I can't even get it up without worrying about the dizzying chemical mechanics involved in the production of petroleum derivatives. About the quality of the oil itself. Wanting for oil, about the process of deriving synthetic fuel from coal deposits across the far flung provinces and how many days it would take to travel to theater and how many kilocalories per man hour would be needed for a crew of sailors for it to arrive.

Innocence lost, my friends.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I have never heard of islamic armour being worn without padding, and can think of at least one type of armour, the kazaghand, that is generally associated with Islamic regions and by definition has a padding component.

Aside from the fact that one image in the Maciejowski is not particularly representative, whoever is interpreting that image is sorely mistaken. That guy is not taking off armour but putting it on. You don't take mail off standing up, because then you're fighting gravity in a confined position, which sucks. This is what taking mail off looks like, from the same dang source:

• Locked thread