Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

What sort of battle tactics were in common use? Medieval battles are always portrayed as two large groups just running towards each other, which is clearly inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Railtus posted:

Good question. I have never seen any official work addressing that subject, although it seems plausible that it was just never kept track of to a sufficient degree to cause an issue. Once you know Church X has a finger-bone of a saint, you probably do not have much incentive to start tracking down the number of other churches which had other finger bones, you just want to go to that church for pilgrimage.

Basically the research needed for a medieval person to notice, cross referencing various relics in what churches, would be very demanding and time consuming. I think honestly few people were willing to make the investment needed to do the research. Also it was not too common to claim to have the whole skull of a saint, if you just have a piece of it that counts and it avoids those problems in the first place.

However, it was known that not all relics were genuine. For example, in the Canterbury Tales Chaucer describes the Pardoner as selling fake relics, so the concept was generally recognised. The church also made a point of forbidding the selling of relics on occasion, which is a sign it probably happened.

So the short answer is they didn’t deal with it. :P I think the church could have made a wide census tracking down exactly what relics were where and which ones were genuine etc. But it seems no one wanted to do it.

I imagine another aspect was that saints were revered to a much greater degree than in modern times, particularly when it came to things like observing of the saint's feast day, or just the number of saints the average person might know about. There were plenty of saints to go round, so churches weren't all competing over the same two dozen or so well known ones.

• Locked thread