Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

LankyIndjun posted:

What's the HYW?

The Hundred Years' War - which was really the culmination of centuries of trans-channel hostility and disputation over which nobles owned what. Not saying it ended there, but it was probably the most dramatic conflict of the Medieval era. Arguments can be made as to when the French and English identities became truly separate, but by the end of the Hundred Years War there was no doubt that they were forever severed and that each was its own distinct Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What are the various advantages of different weapon types? I mean, it sounds like the spear was the most common weapon used pretty much up until the advent of muskets, but why would an individual choose to wield a sword vs. an axe. vs. a mace in battle?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
From what little research I've done on the subject, the sword seems like such a luxury weapon. Compared to the cost of a spear or even an axe, a quality sword seems like a huge expense for relatively little return.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What are the different types and properties of "plate armor" ? I get the difference between transitional and actual plate, but were there qualitative advances in armor technology that differentiate stages of plate armor development in the medieval era?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Loomer posted:

Why they lost favour, I can't answer at all.

The reasoning I've heard on this is that developing the skill required to be accurate with a sling takes a long, long time. As a rudimentary way to thought test this, just imagine a person who has never shot a bow or fired a sling. Give them both weapons and which one do you think will be more accurate in the hands of a novice?

This isn't to say that being an accomplished archer doesn't take time, but the sling is simply a more skill-intensive weapon, especially at the beginner level.

• Locked thread