Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You brought up the Gambeson, but whenever someone talks about this era it's always about Chainmail/Plate (Knights) vs "Leather Armour" (which every fantasy/RPG every seem to mimmick).

But just how common was some sort of Padded Cloth armour (Gambeson) vs Leather ...stuff? And what was the perks/drawbacks of such armour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The coin and plate examples are interesting. A breastplate would cost a average mercenary around 1 months pay? (Not counting other expenses), I suppose it shouldn't be completely unexpected but I guess years of RPGs have taught me the heirarchy/cost of armor in a screwy way.

How often would a soldier like that expect to have to replace his gear? I mean, not all at the same time probably, but in general. Did they buy new breastplates like some gamer might buy a new computer every 2-3 years? :v: (Well, or steal it off the dead).

I'm guessing most peasant draftees wouldn't be running around with all that much metal armor (or did they?), but were the majority of mercenaries well armed/armored?

The time era might be somewhat later though, when I'm thinking Mercenaries I'm thinking the 30 year war or thereabouts.

Just how did people, outside of various House guards end up as mercenaries? As I understand it even mercenaries dragged their families around with them as camp followers, did they recruit kinda like navies did (grab random dude if they had to), or was it all official soldiers who decided to privatize? Would some random farmer son just one day decide "Pa, I'm gonna be a soldier, but not one of those faggy Royal ones! :colbert:" and be able to pull it off somehow?

e: Tons of questions, because modern literature/media sure loves their mercenaries but they rarely go into any real detail on it.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 29, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This series is pretty great for diets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk07gA2z6Ho&t=15s (warning for cock munching), not quite Medieval era(earliest episode covers 16th century or so) but it's good stuff.

Well, the food looks loving disgusting but the show us entertaining & educational enough (if you can understand Swedish) :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 1, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

monkeyharness posted:

Thanks for the excellent thread. In reading through it, I think it kind of speaks a bit to a couple of question that I have always wondered about when watching movies/documentaries on warfare during the Medieval period: How did anyone walk away from a Medieval battle without some form of crazy grievous injury?

Much like the classical era, It seems like warfare at the time could be a swirling mass of confusion and death, and that with whole units of footman engaged against other units (sometimes after a charge), combat could last an unknown amount of time and be completely exhausting (as Vigilance and others mention). You stated that the knight trained extensively and was an athlete. That kind of explains the ability to swing a sword, or axe, or halberd for long periods of time in armor. Adrenaline would be another factor. You also mentioned the tactics like a shield wall, and formations staying in good order, which would also play a part in keeping troops protected.

Even so, I have always wondered how in that exhausting, confusing mass of bodies, almost everyone would be a target for someone else who they were not ready for - someone coming up from behind them and stabbing them while they were engaged with another enemy, someone finishing off an enemy, and smashed in the head by one of his allies, etc. The close in-nature of warfare at the time, and the weapons used also point to downright nasty wounds being commonplace. In your studies, I just wanted to know if you have noticed any trends in battles that might help explain how the average footman could hope to walk away from any given battle without the loss of a limb or worse?

Finally, how advanced was battlefield medicine at the time?

As I understand it, your average portrayal of combat in say an RPG where there's two lines running at each other and "merge" into just a gigantic clusterfuck of men mingled with each other going at it in One-on-One combat, stretched across the entire field didn't really happen.

There's a reason people invented formations and lines to do battle, things didn't really turn "massacre" ugly until one of those formations broke and got charged down by dudes on horses.

That and massive field battles just didn't happen all the time either, due to the risks/cost involved.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I imagine half-swording it would be even safer if you wore gloves or gauntlets of some kind, sharp sword or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Railtus posted:

It is Greek hoplite combat trying to be Kung Fu Theatre.

Going by one of the youtube comments (Yeah, I know...):
It's NOT Greek Style fighting it's actually mainly choreographed from a sword style from Thailand called Krabi krabong.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, however (because Hollywood loves that poo poo).

Also, I guess Hector is supposed to be kind of poo poo compared to Achielles anyhow, so the easiest way to portray that is to have him job completely instead of putting Brad Pitt through years of intense training.

• Locked thread