Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Kaal posted:

As a counterpoint, this study takes are more critical view on the weight of plate armor. It's worth reading, though I'd note that their 15th century armor was twice as heavy as normal since it was designed to stop bullets and heavy crossbows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14204717

While the study does say the participants "regularly re-enact battles for the Royal Armouries in Leeds" I would imagine conditioning would also be a big factor in the influence of armour on fatigue. Someone who has spent 10+ years wearing frequently, and training intensively in, heavy plate mail would find it much less tiring to wear than a re-enactor who is not at a similar level of cardiovascular fitness (and who doesnt have years of muscular development related specifically to armour wearing/combat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Question for the reenactors/weapon enthusiasts: What would a medieval suit of armour look like, crafted with the best modern materials and technology? Lets say someone in 2015 decided to create a suit of armour with the same intended use as a 1400 full plate mail suit - protection from sword / arrow / axe etc medieval combat.

I'm guessing something like a more heavy duty version of riot police? A perspex glass facemask anyway? Would hardened plastic with some sort of kevlar ant-stabbing undermaterial be better than some sort of metal alloy?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Kaal posted:

If we made a modern version of medieval armor, the upgrades would probably be along the lines of comfort and usability, rather than defensive performance. We'd use higher grade steel to allow the plate armor to be thinner and lighter, and strengthen the joints and openings with very durable Kevlar. We could add foam grips to the gauntlets and potentially improve vision by using clear plastic (though fogging and penetrative weakness would be real concerns). And we could improve upon the overall design to make it easier to put on and take off alone, such as using Velcro fasteners or elastic materials. In the end though, I don't think that you'd see a significant improvement.

Thats exactly what I was wondering, thanks Kaal (and the other posters who responded).

I was having the standard "full plate armour was bulky and useless" debate with a colleague and my point was it was effectively maximised for its purpose of the day, and that even with modern materials tech it wouldn't look/function a huge amount differently. But thought I'd ask the experts here. Glad to see I wasn't too far off!

• Locked thread