Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

the JJ posted:

Noooope. Dead saints had protective and curative power. Dead saint bits were all the rage, hair, teeth, toenails, the jams. Big churches generally had one or two. This isn't unusual at all, I think there's some Sufi sect with a reliquary of a saint's dentures. Still, the whole 'idolatry' thing was a bit controversial, but the Catholic church's devotion to the saints is kinda one of their things.

Oh yeah I was researching this recently. A relic (the dead saint, or part of one) is supposed to physically have the Holy Spirit in it, almost a kind of spiritual radiation emanating from it. If you think of the Holy Spirit as the action of God in the world (that's probably an oversimplification) the saint's physical body is the mechanism through which the action took place.

And remember, the saint's body is going to be physically reconstituted and resurrected on the Last Day. So the relic isn't remains in the sense of "ruins" or "leftovers"-- it's just temporarily inanimate.

e: this thread is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the Icelandic Commonwealth the ruling class were chieftains known as gođar...

Whoa this is interesting. How did they handle crime and punishment? Like, if someone breaks the law, how does the process of finding them and holding them accountable go down? Maybe that's getting off-topic, I'm just really interested in how justice systems worked before the era of police and jails.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

A lot of the coroner rolls produced by this twitter account report people being murdered by clerks. What the hell was up with medieval clerks that they were murdering people so often?

John de Thorpe, drowned in 1322 when thrown in tempestuous waters from his boat, the “Dongbot”

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

goose fleet posted:

I just saw this posted somewhere, maybe it's been posted in this thread before. Looks like almost all of it is extremely inaccurate, might give you all a good laugh.

Chamale posted:

21st century warfare facts!

Kevlar was nearly impervious to all attacks, especally rifles

Nearly 95% of casualties were inflicted by a Drone, the flying robots after an army's control of the air was broken

Teenage pregnancy was rare than many think, especially for nobles, the normal childbearing age was 25*. Ecxept on MTV for some reason, where it was 16.

Most Commissioned officers were neither incompetant nor cowardly, they were trained to be good at their jobs so obviously they always were

The average rifle was a terrible personal weapon, they were always deployed en mass and few gunmen hit what they aimed at

The airplane required years of practice and could fly like a bird, but a single flight was worth more than a soldier's knife

Machine gunners had to be some of the biggest and most muscular men in the army, to handle the massive recoil of a postmodern machine gun

Attacking tanks drove through storms of bullets like rain, because Iraqi (muslim) guns were too weak to pierce steel and explosive reactive armor

Many soldiers, suffered from extreme PTSD, and their governments didn't do enough to help them (:smith:)

Most wars were either religous differences between groups of voters, or business transactions of the nobility for land and oil. Honor, rightousness and democracy had litle or to nothing to do with it.

Grenades had no value over artillery except the shape, for nearly 200 years, grenades and mines were used to a minor degree, and artillery stil had monopoly on power, force, range, and rate of fire

Tank armor could easily block rockets, contrary to public opinion, rockets were never able to easily slay tanks, they were just easy to use and cheap to make compared to tanks

The Germans were the finest soldiers in all of europe for over a century and invented repeating rifles, jets, finalized the blitzkrieg style, and conqoured lands from Russia to Africa

The French Empire contained some of the brightest military minds of the postmodern ages, they had a battle doctrine for every foe possible, according to them, Iraqis were the smartest and, Vietnamese (Asians) were the Feircest

MOST POSTMODERN BATTLES WERE NOT EXCITING PITCHED BATTLES LIKE BLACK HAWK DOWN OR TROPIC THUNDER, NEARLY ALL OF THEM WERE COMPLETLY ONE SIDED MASSACRES, Your aver

Your average postmodern machine pistol (EI, a "Machine gun" was designed for aiming and shooting, after tanks became more popular in the mid 1950s, almost no one carried these guns into battle anymore, and relied on submachine guns, battle rifles, miniguns, assault rifles, pistols, and shotguns instead

Many people call machine pistols "Machineguns" while in fact a machinegun is a mounted weapon and assault rifles never existed during World War II

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

There are opposite gender roles, and those are more important than biological sex since these people love order and hierarchy and are terrified of anything that might threaten that, but beneath those there is one biological sex and that is male.

That's really interesting. You've mentioned before that there were female soldiers who posed as men-- so if they played the masculine gender role, and had the same "biological" sex as everyone else, did that make them like... honorary men? Have you ever run across a story of one who was found out before death? Or one who was known to be female by some of her comrades, but was permitted to go on living and working as a man anyway?

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Note the devil's big droopy balls and flat rear end.

History is cool

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Grain was a huge deal though because it's good for calories and you can grow poo poo loads of wheat on fertile land once you figure out crop rotation, which vegetables, beans, and whatever were part of. The other reason was because you could gather all sorts of things but gathering grain wasn't easy. Grain is also what makes booze and that is very, very important.

Yeah I was gonna say. When people are struggling to meet their caloric requirements, instead of to avoid exceeding them, you get a pretty different idea of what's healthy.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

for the first three names: according to norbert elias, western europeans of the pre-early-modern era were a lot more comfortable with physical imperfection, pain, disability, and sexual frankness than we are. see also people who have the epithet "the bastard," sometimes they'll give themselves that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Civilizing_Process

see also pepin the short

edit: lol
http://mentalfloss.com/article/58623/60-historys-strangest-royal-epithets
edit 2: they include Joan the Lame but not Joan the Mad (Joanna La Loca)? shaking my head

Oh that's really interesting. I always wonder how they'd interpret our worldview. I feel like, to us, referring to someone's negative physical qualities is considered super unnecessarily mean but referring to their negative moral qualities isn't that bad. or at least it's not grounds for instant violent confrontation like it would be to some past folks. "ERIK THE PRIEST-HATER" would also be a tight name for a black metal guitarist

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

deadking posted:

I'm glad someone bumped this thread! Here's a part of a page from a manuscript I've been writing about lately:

It's from the Utrecht Psalter, a mid-ninth century manuscript probably produced somewhere around Rheims but currently housed at Utrecht University. There's a really great annotated digital edition of the psalter here: http://psalter.library.uu.nl/?_ga=1.221130712.1346547323.1487213378

I'm not an expert on such things, but apparently even though the Psalter's images are based on an older Late Antique model the weapons and armor depicted therein are contemporary to the ninth century.

This is really cool. The style is weirdly similar to Bill Mauldin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

Speaking of italian, I'm looking for no-bullshit renaissance clothing. Casual stuff that can be worn for fencing or outdoors, preferably making me NOT look like a clown. Something that an italian noble would wear for sports.

I have either good news or bad news for you

• Locked thread