Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

veekie posted:

Point. For all we know it could be the script for a play.

The Iliad is an epic poem. I'm pretty sure it predates greek plays.

Also, the whole Achilles "invincible, dipped in the river by one heel" thing is never mentioned in the Iliad; that's from other stories.

Hector is totally the hero of the story. That's why it ends when he dies, and not when Achilles does. I have heard theories that Hector wasn't even in earlier stories about the Trojan war (hence why some of the numbers don't really fit, Paris seems to be about twenty years older than his brother) and Homer invented him so he could do more interesting things with Paris than just "total bro, kills Achilles at the end".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

EggsAisle posted:

3.) For the physics-inclined, would it be possible for her to throw her hatchet into an enemy's face and have it kill them? She's strong and the weapon is good steel, but skulls are tough, especially head-on...

I don't think the physics of it is important here. If she doesn't carry a sword then throwing her axe at someone means she is no longer holding a weapon, and is going to die.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've seen a particular anecdote show up several times in Charlemagne romances; one of Charlemagne's sons/nephews/cousins/paladins/etc (varies by story) is playing a game of chess and so enrages his opponent that they beat him to death with the board.

After the first three times I ran into that one, I started wondering if there's any historical origin to it?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ritual purpose

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"The typical battle"

What decade, where, and who is involved?

I mean WW2 was less than a century ago and battles happen pretty differently now.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Throughout history, soldiers have always spent their money on stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Go on, show me the law that says I can't use a lion"

• Locked thread