Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How many of the common fantasy "medieval" weapons were actually used in the Middle Ages? I suppose a better way of phrasing the question is, what were armies typically armed with? Did people really just grab whatever they had on hand?

I find it hard to believe that, say, flails or various forms of scythes were ever actually used in combat. Swords don't really seem like a mass-producible weapon, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
According to Wikipedia, it wasn't until 1525 that Russian ambassadors to Spain finally brought back news about the discovery of the Americas to Russia. There was also pretty much no real interaction between western Europe and Russia until later on in that century. Remember that it wasn't until Peter the Great that Russia really started to make serious attempts at modernizing and becoming a European power.

Poland used to be a pretty large and significant power in central Europe and regularly had to deal with Teutonic Knights invading them. I don't think they gave a special poo poo about Portugal though.

• Locked thread