Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well in the interest of having this wonderful thread not die I will ask some questions.

What kind of contraceptives did people use historically besides pulling out? How much did they know about fertility and menstrual cycles?

What do you think about Bernard Cornwall?

How common were flails and things like that (ball+chain style weapons) in the era of plate armor? They seem ridiculous and unwieldy and inconvenient in about a dozen ways.

Was fighting with a main gauche or parrying dagger strictly a dueling thing? Did anybody ever actually dual wield?

Some of these questions are silly and I understand if you don't answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Railtus posted:

Until surgical abortions, terminating a pregnancy often led to the dead foetus remaining inside the body.

:barf:

quote:

Some herbal remedies are suggested here - http://faculty.bsc.edu/shagen/STUDENT/Joy&Chris/contraset.html - This is also the kind of thing that in England “cunning folk” might do. Again, it lists the sources, but elsewhere it mentions chastity belts, which you should never take at face-value in reference to the medieval period. The evidence for their existence in medieval times was circumstantial at best (Bellifortis sketch 1405, which seems to be a joke) and like many ‘medieval’ torture devices they seem to be mostly Victorian inventions.

So chastity belts were just the Victorians being extremely kinky? I know this is a little outside of the scope of this thread, but what was up with the Victorian era and all the sexual piccadillos that persisted as a result of whatever cultural trauma seems to have affected the time period? What was different about the sexual repression of earlier periods compared to the Victorian era?

In a similar vein, is there historical documentation that shows the effect cultural traumas like The Inquisition had on society, like how Japan is still affected by the bombing or Germany is still affected by WW2 or the southern United States is still affected by Reconstruction?

quote:

I also absolutely loved Azincourt – Sir John Cornewaille is spectacularly entertaining and I love Hook’s religious experiences. My main criticisms of his writing are that he gets carried away with the subjects of corruption within Christianity (which did happen, but far less than one would think from reading his work) and the mistreatment of women.

Excellent, I'm glad I can responsibly enjoy a little :black101: and learn something at the same time. Cornwell had some bizarre experiences as a child growing up with the Peculiar People sect/cult who "banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine" so I cut him some slack with all his rapist/con men priests, I think he does a great job of making a case for the good the church did as well as the bad. Especially in the Saxon Series he explains the power of Christianity from the viewpoint of pagan warriors, which gave me a whole new perspective on the rapid rise of the early Church due to the practical value of the Christian religion. There's a little aside where Uhdred ponders Wodin, and how there's no sense he could ever give a drat about you personally. The gods were mercurial and did their own thing, arbitrary just like natural forces. Jesus, though. Jesus loved you and could be proud or disappointed, would punish and reward based on relatively clearly defined rules.

Anyway I just think this stuff is neat and if you feel like just expounding on a topic that's interesting to you that you don't think many people are aware of, I would enjoy it.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nektu posted:

Find books about the black death, how it changed the face of europe and the culture of the (few) survivors people if you want to read about traumas.

I read a book about it some years back, and the author described that the pest caused all human relationships to shatter - down to parents leaving their children if they got sick, and even (small) children leaving their parents if it was the other way round.

She also described that this total breakdown of all human relations, compassion and companionship caused a horrible, horrible time after the pest was finally gone. Like bandits not only robbing people, but torturing/killing them without good reason and contrary to their own interests (after all, who will you steal bread from if you kill everybody).

Can you recommend any particular titles?

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How about that Rob Roy swordfight, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtPluUi0_U

How much of this is Hollywood Flynnisms and how much is "realistic"?

How about The Duellists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:allears:

That was an amazing read. If you start a website where you review movie swordfights I'll click your ads and donate money.

Rob Roy is a lot of fun, not sure how historically accurate it is. It's definitely got problems but overall it's a really engaging and compelling movie with really, really good characters. And all the sword fights are like that: physically brutal and kind of terrifying.

Archie posted:

“Love is but a dung heap, Betty, and I am but a cock that climbs upon it to crow.”

Anyway if any of you haven't seen The Duellists and you like to watch people hack at each other with swords in a way that conveys verisimilitude i.e. the pain and horror and plain physical exertion involved in trying to kill a man with a large edged weapon in a fair fight, do check it out. It's loving brutal. One of Ridley Scott's early films, back when he had good scripts and had stuff to say.

The cinematography is amazing. The saber duel is... hard to watch. It's a dark, almost blackly comic tale of two men who inexplicably hate each other and force each other to fight many duels over a span of decades. Set during the end of the Napoleonic wars.

Rockopolis posted:

All this talk of dueling is making me wonder, not so much "Why is it always swords" (although I do wonder about duels with other weapons), but were there any duels fought unarmed? To the death, even?
It just seems like something more, personal, I guess, beating each other to death with bare hands.

Also, the dueling talk reminds me of Blackadder "We fight with cannon! Only girls fight with swords these days."

Because it's awesome. :colbert:

:spergin: Also because a cannon only has limited utility as a weapon, early cannons especially taking 4 hours or more to load. Cannons are great for knocking down walls, but against soft targets a volley of gunfire is much more effective.

Fighting with swords is a test of skill and mettle. In a hand to hand fight the larger and stronger opponent almost always has the advantage. Strength is certainly a factor in swordfighting, but skill is vastly more important.

The parties would have to agree on the weapons used before hand. There probably were duels fought with bare hands.

I like the balloon duel:

(article has spoilers for the end of The Duellists, don't read #1 if you plan on watching it.)

http://listverse.com/2007/11/08/top-8-remarkable-duels/

• Locked thread