Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Were oubliettes really a thing used much? Some googling seemed to suggest they weren't exactly widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
A lot of the coroner rolls produced by this twitter account report people being murdered by clerks. What the hell was up with medieval clerks that they were murdering people so often?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not talking about the randomly generated causes of death for people replying to the bot, I mean stuff like "Philip Port, died 1305, murdered and mutilated by five clerks after a night of drinking"

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Was it unheard of for knights to take on more than one page, squire, what-have-you at a time?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So I was doing a bit of reading up on medieval cuisine, and the wikipedia article's section on caloric intake caught my attention.

quote:

The overall caloric intake is subject to some debate. One typical estimate is that an adult peasant male needed 2,900 calories (12,000 kJ) per day, and an adult female needed 2,150 calories (9,000 kJ).[20] Both lower and higher estimates have been proposed. Those engaged in particularly heavy physical labor, as well as sailors and soldiers, may have consumed 3,500 calories (15,000 kJ) or more per day. Intakes of aristocrats may have reached 4,000 to 5,000 calories (17,000 to 21,000 kJ) per day.[21] Monks consumed 6,000 calories (25,000 kJ) per day on "normal" days, and 4,500 calories (19,000 kJ) per day when fasting. As a consequence of these excesses, obesity was common among upper classes.[22]

Why did monks eat so much more than everyone else, including nobility?

• Locked thread