Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Still working my way through the thread Finished the thread and had to post "thank you" and "awesome thread" to Railtus. I've always been fascinated with Medieval culture and history so again, thank you.

Ok, my question is (and apologies if I missed it), but what was life expectancy like in the Middle Ages. In reading some novels set in the time period, people in the 40s were often referred to as old. True, not true?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Someone asked this question and it was partially answered by a poster, but I don't think the OP covered it (apologies if I missed it):

What was medieval footwear like? Sabatons was the partial answer I saw, but I'm thinking every day shoes or boots. I have the nagging suspicion that the knee-high boots seen in shows like Game of Thrones were uncommon or reserved solely for nobility, if they existed at all.

Also, if anyone gets there, the Les Invalides museum in Paris has a great display of medieval weaponry and armor. One of the things I remember most too was a full suit of plate for a prince (dauphin?) who was like 10 or 12.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Its not like Caesarius was referring to a real life conversation between demons about the nature of redemption, but people absolutely thought that demons was real and had long discussions about their nature. It got to the point where a monk was complaining about a succubus roaming about in the convent at night and the abbot would just shrug his shoulder like it was a stray dog or something.

Technically, Catholics still believe in the devil and demons and that they're around. I believe much of the demonic imagery and supposed behavior are tied up in the writings of the early saints, but I'm not a theologian or historian so I might be mistaken.

• Locked thread