Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Railtus posted:

Medieval History. Anything from the Viking Age to the Teutonic Knights to Marjorie Kemp and what a strange person she was.

What on earth was up with Marjorie Kemp? I read her as part of a medieval literature module but the seminar leader refused to discuss anything to do with her mental health and insisted we focused entirely upon the text. Discounting spiritual possession, what do you think was wrong with her? She seriously did my head in, and that was just through the written word, can you imagine going on a pilgrimage and having her in your group?

Do you have any favourite works in Middle English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

Then, just as now, priests and monks had plenty of sex.

As a response to this I trotted off to read The Rule of St Benedict as I was certain that within one of the most exacting rulebooks of monkery there must be some hardcore rules on sex and lewdness. It was actually kind of hard to find anything at all about sex in there though, which surprised me somewhat. I found a line about how abbesses are supposed to be chaste but that was kind of lost amidst the bigger rule of 'no abbess is to teach, ever! No teaching you women! And no chattering at the menfolk!'. Under the heading of what sort of man a monk should be the general rule is 'don't be proud' and not a thing about laying off sex.

Woe be to the monk who recites psalm 66 less than 'somewhat slowly' during Sunday morning office though! I love how they have rules for how quickly a particular psalm needs to be read at a particular time of day, but brush over the whole chastity thing.

• Locked thread