Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You mention raiding villages? Were wholesale atrocities on the opposing serfs commonplace earlier in the 100 years war like what happened later in the 30 years war. I assume having a roving army in your countryside is at the very least bad for the food supply of the average peasant but did it also result in every male of age being strung up in a tree? To what extent was medieval war "total"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Railtus posted:

Guys, I have never heard of cat burning or fox tossing until people brought it up in this thread.

And I was much happier for it. I would prefer the animal cruelty stuff be kept to a minimum please. Also, these things are getting a good 200-300 years after the medieval period.

So is there any historical evidence of diseased animals being launched into besieged towns to real effect?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet it was pretty terrifying if you were the guy picked to light the fuse.

Even if you were the king.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

I disagree, it was a foreign power conquering the capital. More importantly, a foreign culture. I've made this example before in the Antiquity thread I think, but imagine if the USSR had conquered the US. Would giving the soviet leader title of POTUS make sense? I would argue not, though they might have done so for propaganda reasons. Or imagine if the US would occupy large territories in the Middle East and declare the president as the Caliph. I am of the opinion you need a certain cultural claim within the culture you are usurping for the strongest claim.

The Brits are perfectly happy being lorded over by Germans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A soldier with PTSD bad enough to affect his daily life probably would not fare well in battles were one on one combat occurred. WWI made it so you could theoretically be the worst soldier ever, never fire a shot, and still endure endless amounts of torturous experiences and get massively hosed up.

The dude who loses it on an ancient battlefield gets skewered the next time he faces off with someone, a guy in WWI could be so messed up he can't even walk properly and still survive the war.

Probably the most famous case of PTSD would be Audie Murphy who clearly fared quite well during battles and almost shut down completely post-war.

• Locked thread