Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I think the coolest part of medieval history is the stuff that was going down between 1000-1300 in Germany. And like no one ever talks about it. Was Otto IV really beaten to death by his priests? I guess that's what you get for being a Welf!

Also, the little feuds that happened in Italy during this time period are also often overlooked. Do you have anything awesome to say about this subject? The Guelphs and Ghibellines? How about the Colonna vs. the Orsini? Or the most awesome Italian family ever, the Theophylacti.

This is the poo poo I wish we talked about in history class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Strangely, the last titular Eastern Roman Emperor sold his title to Ferdinand and Isabelle, though the whole idea was apparently on such shaky grounds that no Spanish king ever actually used it.

He sold it to the French too! Clever fucker.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Anne Whateley posted:

I dunno dude. It felt like all of my professors loved "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire. Discuss :ironicat:"

The Holy Roman Empire was a fascinating institution with an endlessly complicated history. Dismissing its enormous role in the development of Europe with some dumb Voltaire quote says all I need to know about a person, or a professor.

Edit: I might be getting a little defensive and misinterpreting what faculty are trying to stimulate. I just feel like the subject is glossed over a lot in high school history classes in favor of France/England/maybe Spain/etc and it always really bothered me. In fact, that quote is usually all the education I formally got on the subject.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 29, 2013

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I'm not talking about a high-school teacher racing through your one allowed semester of non-US history and covering all of the HRE with a snappy one-liner. I'm talking about the professors who taught me undergrad & graduate courses for my Medieval & Renaissance Studies major at a well-regarded university -- professors who felt that it was a good in-class conversation or a good essay question (one of many) because it required you to take a position, make a decent argument, and demonstrate a lot of knowledge in the process. I promise they knew and taught a whole bunch about the HRE.

Yeah, that's why I put in the edit. It'd be nice to find one solid lay historical book on the subject that covers the whole thing (like you easily can with England or France, or Rome, or Greece, or Egypt, or China....).

• Locked thread