Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Railtus posted:

I have heard that the Russian Tsars were the eventual heirs to the Byzantine/Roman Empire, but I have not studied that.

As far as I recall, the Russian Tsar, Ivan III at some point married "the last princess of Byzantium." Basically, Russia sought to obtain the title of Rome and found a woman who may or may not have actually been related to the royal family of the Byzantines. She was reputedly the niece of Constantine XI. Moscow itself was referred to as "the Third Rome." There is a famous quote by one of the Tsars at the time that I cannot correctly attribute, but it was something along the lines of "Moscow is the Third Rome, and it will never fall."

Wikipedia has a page about it that gives some detail. I'm not an expert on any of this, so you'd do well to read it rather than my ramblings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I know I saw a question about this earlier in the thread, but I can't find it for the life of me now that I'm interested.

I just finished doing a lot of reading about Rome, and I'm now curious about the Early Medieval Period (Dark Ages) in general, primarily from the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 until the crowning of Charlemagne. Could anyone recommend a good book for me to read on this subject?

I'd like a book that takes a more moderate approach toward the Dark Ages. To clarify, I don't want a book the inaccurately portrays the time period as entirely worthless with the absence of Roman power, but I also do not want a book that is just trying to prove to me that everything was honky dory and probably better than things are now. I want an accurate portrayal somewhere in the middle!

• Locked thread