Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

The other day I saw a small Hyundai try to cut from the left turn lane into the main crossing lane at an intersection. Unfortunately he tried to squeeze in front of one of the large dump trucks that are always around due to construction at Osan AB.

FUCKER GOT MONSTER TRUCKED. He tried to whip in but wound up cutting it too close and got the front passenger side of his car smushed. I was two cars behind the truck and I saw it jerk for a second then just keep on going till it was past the car, then the flattened car kind of just sputtered to a stop.

It was awesome, so with that, I will be the first to say: OH WAU GUYZ THESE COREANS DONT KNOW HOW 2 DRIVE AMIRITE? LOLOLOLOL.

Also, for anyone reading this, if you're US Military and are coming over to Korea, hit me up as I'm AD AF and will be here forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I've been reading this thread for a while now and I've been in Korea since September (haven't posted because I feel I don't have much to add). I'm stationed at Osan AB and I'll be here for two years. If there are any goon gatherings in the future, I'd be down.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

terivinix posted:

Firebomb Gangnam.

And have an army of kpop terminator frames walk out of the flames? No thanks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while now and I've been in Korea since September (haven't posted because I feel I don't have much to add). I'm stationed at Osan AB and I'll be here for two years. If there are any goon gatherings in the future, I'd be down.

Goonsgiving was really awesome. Too bad you didn't show up :smug:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Why don't you guys like Gangnam Style?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

nervana posted:

in on the first page :cheers:

We were all pretty broken up that you left groupchat. Holler at someone when you want back in.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Farecoal posted:

It's terrible and everywhere.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I don't want to single out one song, but I hate all K-pop. Terrible manufactured music that has nothing to say and only propagates harmful ideas such as about body image or patriarchy or conformity. It exists thanks to Korean taxpayers and serves only to forward Korea's outwardly projected image as a seamless plastic nation with no depth.

Gangnam Style started a bit differently, but it's part of the machine now thanks to its success.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spent a year teaching in Taiwan, got my credential back in the states, and I'm ready to head abroad again. I've got everything ready to start applying in March or so for August jobs. Looking forward to joining all of you later this year!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
New thread makes me all wistfull that Ill be leaving soon.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

terivinix posted:

I don't want to single out one song, but I hate all K-pop. Terrible manufactured music that has nothing to say and only propagates harmful ideas such as about body image or patriarchy or conformity. It exists thanks to Korean taxpayers and serves only to forward Korea's outwardly projected image as a seamless plastic nation with no depth.

Page 2 and this is already the worst thread.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Fortunately I like Gangnam Style. The problem are the dumbasses who see a Korean person and go 'Ohpa Gungnum Style!' which isn't as cute or clever as they think.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

dantheman650 posted:

Spent a year teaching in Taiwan, got my credential back in the states, and I'm ready to head abroad again. I've got everything ready to start applying in March or so for August jobs. Looking forward to joining all of you later this year!

I haven't heard many positive things from people who have taught in Taiwan then came to Korea. I think the weather and general layout of Korean cities have something to do with it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I only spent a week in Taiwan but goddamn is it cool (at least Taipei), I'd love to spend a year there.
In Korea you'll probably get paid better, and the locals are generally hotter. That's about all I can say though.

I really miss Taipei :(

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Farecoal posted:

I liked it. At first.

Now there's U+ style, condition style, and just x style everywhere. Psy ran it into the ground hard. I don't blame him though, he must be disgustingly rich by now.

VVV Our House Style :cool: VVV

The Bible fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 24, 2013

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It became Madness' 'Our House' for me. I love me some Madness now, but the 80's overplaying the poo poo of that song made me hate them so much as a kid. So maybe PSY has some other good songs, but I'm so soured by GNS that I can't appreciate it.

Damnit, now Gangnam style and Our House is playing in my head at the same time, time to find an ice pick.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems like Korea finally got sick of it too, I haven't heard it played in public at all the last couple weeks. I feel like I've been reborn.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Grand Fromage posted:

It seems like Korea finally got sick of it too, I haven't heard it played in public at all the last couple weeks. I feel like I've been reborn.

All the cell phone shops got that new Girls Generation song to run into the ground instead.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad I don't teach children anymore so I never have to hear that poo poo ever again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whizbang posted:

All the cell phone shops got that new Girls Generation song to run into the ground instead.

Whatever, I'll take it. God bless those girls for ending the rebirth of the loving Macarena.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

tirinal posted:

Korea Gig Guide is the main resource. Korean Indie is useful as well, as is SuperColorSuper, though it’s run by those of ill repute.

By the way, it feels kind of wrong to put KGG and Korean Indie alongside SCS. The first two are resources for the entire scene, and the last one is a poorly run company that only advertises their own shows. Or, I could suggest a half a dozen other sites/labels/collectives/blogs that belong on that list at least as much as SCS.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

THE LUMMOX posted:

Page 2 and this is already the worst thread.

Whatever, I work for the government and not a week goes by that I don't get actively reminded of Psy and Korea's "soft power."

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I've been working on a guide for d10 visas. I'm going to immigration tomorrow to change over and should have enough information to flesh it out. I've also written a bit on after school programs, and that's I've gathered from interviews and various Internet sources, and including you folks.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

terivinix posted:

Whatever, I work for the government and not a week goes by that I don't get actively reminded of Psy and Korea's "soft power."

And here I was always told Koreans might be small but "rock hard", like Dokdo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kpop and Dokdo bitching on page 2. That was fast.

I've got one more day left in Thailand and I've loved my time here, but (Controversial Opinion!) man Korea is such a vastly superior country. Prettier mountains, better food, better transportation, etc. I'll be glad to be back.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

dantheman650 posted:

Please please come so I can brag about it to Haraksha.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Kpop and Dokdo bitching on page 2. That was fast.

I've got one more day left in Thailand and I've loved my time here, but (Controversial Opinion!) man Korea is such a vastly superior country. Prettier mountains, better food, better transportation, etc. I'll be glad to be back.

Yeah, I'm with you. I love it here. Any complaints I have are just petty bitching. I do respect that I've had a better run of luck, though, and I can see how someone could easily learn to hate it here.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

terivinix posted:

Yeah and not a week goes by that you don't remind everyone of it ;) Just ribbin' yah.

~Korea still owns for me. Lets all be happy together.~

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

So Cameron, regarding you and jobs, are you more wise man on the mountain or idiot savant (this said in the most endearing way). Regardless of the job offers, I am impressed you got that many release letters without a boss.

In Malaysia and I sucked it up and went to the only nearby clinic that was open for Muhammad's Birthday and I was in and out in under 2 minutes, Korean speed but with English service. Without insurance the whole thing was about 40k though. Now hoping this isn't food poisoning before I have the Korvia interview. I got Serena.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I like Kpop and act as the supplier for a couple of people out here in China as well. gently caress the haters.

That being said Gangnam Style needs to go park itself on Dokdo Takeshima and never come back:colbert:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Goddamnit why don't you guys have good stories like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529309 ? I wish I could get assigned to Taiwan :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

THE LUMMOX posted:

Yeah and not a week goes by that you don't remind everyone of it ;) Just ribbin' yah.

Some day, Mr. Lummox will learn that it is possible to both like a place and have complaints about some aspects of said place. And on that day his heart shall grow three sizes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

nullscan posted:

Goddamnit why don't you guys have good stories like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529309 ? I wish I could get assigned to Taiwan :(

We save all of the disease-ridden dick talk for Kakao so we can share pictures too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

nullscan posted:

I'll try to have an std story for you.

plashy
Apr 13, 2012

EasternBronze posted:

That being said Gangnam Style needs to go park itself on Dokdo Takeshima and never come back:colbert:

Never thought I would be happy to hear Party Rock Anthem again, only because it means the death of Gangnam Style.

That is what Nostradamus said right?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

THE LUMMOX posted:

Don't get me wrong, I obviously love a lot of things about Korea. I just hate K-pop and find it to be distinctly un-Korean. The Korean government thanks all you K-pop fans for your patronage though.

According to the article I'm on now, Gangnam District Office offers free invisible-horse-riding lessons every weekend. As you all know, the choreography is massively entertaining but doesn't require any complex interpretation.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whizbang posted:

We save all of the disease-ridden dick talk for Kakao so we can share pictures too.

What in the hell happened in Kakao anyway? I mean, I know what happened, but why? And why does BrainDance still post here if he hates you guys so much?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

The Bible posted:

What in the hell happened in Kakao anyway? I mean, I know what happened, but why? And why does BrainDance still post here if he hates you guys so much?

BrainDance is a multifaceted person who is maybe too complex for many of us to handle. He meshes well on the forums, and seems to enjoy himself in Korea, but life on Kakao got weird.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

plashy posted:

Never thought I would be happy to hear Party Rock Anthem again, only because it means the death of Gangnam Style.

That is what Nostradamus said right?

Wow the first time I heard Party Rock Anthem was in Gangnam, how's that for some :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

nullscan posted:

Well, I'll try. Sometimes when I ramble on about computers or science, my wife gets bored and doesn't listen. There aren't any STD's, but sometimes she is too tired for sex.

Sever?

• Locked thread