Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

THANK YOU

He is literally the biggest goonlord itt

I have lived and visited at least 2 places in every province (including the big cities) over the years and I have never seen a place that I didn't think had redeeming qualities. This retard is just a shitposter: plain and simple. His name is Finger Blaster 69 for crying out loud. If he's not 12 years old irl then he's half of that age mentally.

Please calm down on the personal attacks. I've been to every province in Korea too, it's not very hard to do. There are only 10! Sure other places are fun to visit, and I love going to the country for a weekend. It's nice to see trees and actually hear birds sometimes! But for quality of life it's definitely Seoul. Want to learn something? Theres a class for it. Want to meet people? Great, theres all kinds of stuff going on. Hell, you could take a daytrip or weekend trip just on the subway if you really want to go to the countryside! I've seen a lot of people be actually miserable from living in small towns. It gets tiring when theres no one to interact with and the nearest city is an hour away. Grand Fromage is absolutely right when he says that the only people in small towns are students or old people. Good luck if you're in your 20's or 30's trying to meet people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Korea Megathread: poo poo posters ITT

I'm one of them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Please calm down on the personal attacks. I've been to every province in Korea too, it's not very hard to do. There are only 10! Sure other places are fun to visit, and I love going to the country for a weekend. It's nice to see trees and actually hear birds sometimes! But for quality of life it's definitely Seoul. Want to learn something? Theres a class for it. Want to meet people? Great, theres all kinds of stuff going on. Hell, you could take a daytrip or weekend trip just on the subway if you really want to go to the countryside! I've seen a lot of people be actually miserable from living in small towns. It gets tiring when theres no one to interact with and the nearest city is an hour away. Grand Fromage is absolutely right when he says that the only people in small towns are students or old people. Good luck if you're in your 20's or 30's trying to meet people.

The pros you just listed for Seoul could be said of the other large cities. The bit about the metro taking you to nature narrows it down to three, but buses can do it for the same price and time in the rest. Maybe its just been a while since you lived in one, or maybe you think all the other ones are like Jinju, even though that place is as small and isolated as a city gets here.

Anyway, stop trying to say that not being in Seoul objectively sucks when everyone else is saying it's fine. Clearly its a personal, non-objective issue. You didn't cope well, some of your friends didn't. Other people in this thread like it, or even prefer it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 29, 2015

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I've lived in Seoul and would never go back over staying here in beautiful Daejeon :love: :love: :love:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Honestly, the experience you'll have in korea; its been the same since I came here. If I was to do a power-ranking:
1) Seoul
2) Busan/Gimhae/Busan-area,
3) Daegu, Daejeon, Incheon, Gwangju, Gyeonggi province
4) Gangneung, Chuncheon, Ulsan, Mokpo, Cheongju, Cheonan, Pohang
5) Everywhere else.

I'm basing this on me being lazy and not up to travel 2 hours to see something cool. Also, I figure expat communities into that ranking. I think most of tier 4 are perfectly fine; they have their own natural and local charms. However, they're not as flashy or fun as 1-3.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's a pretty fair list. Personal priorities will shift people's top three around, but generally speaking that's how most people's opinions will fall. Places under 5 might also be fine but its a bit more of a mystery and depends a lot more on your own personality.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Bugblatter posted:

The pros you just listed for Seoul could be said of the other large cities. The bit about the metro taking you to nature narrows it down to three, but buses can do it for the same price and time in the rest. Maybe its just been a while since you lived in one, or maybe you think all the other ones are like Jinju, even though that place is as small and isolated as a city gets here.

Anyway, stop trying to say that not being in Seoul objectively sucks when everyone else is saying it's fine. Clearly its a personal, non-objective issue. You didn't cope well, some of your friends didn't. Other people in this thread like it, or even prefer it.

I have friends that live all over Korea and like it. Different strokes and all that. I'm stating my opinion. I had a good time everywhere that I lived, it's just that the best time was in Seoul. I don't like seeing the same people all the time or having a group of boring/basic expats going to the same 2 or 3 bars which tends to happen outside of Seoul and Busan. Some people are into that. Also, if you want to properly study Korean, Seoul is the best place. That was one of my favorite things about living there. The housewife classes aren't the same. I don't understand how people are so defensive about living in Daejon or Gwangju. They're not that great! Ok places to live, but not great.

This is the most realest post in here actually:

AmbientParadox posted:

Honestly, the experience you'll have in korea; its been the same since I came here. If I was to do a power-ranking:
1) Seoul
2) Busan/Gimhae/Busan-area,
3) Daegu, Daejeon, Incheon, Gwangju, Gyeonggi province
4) Gangneung, Chuncheon, Ulsan, Mokpo, Cheongju, Cheonan, Pohang
5) Everywhere else.

I'm basing this on me being lazy and not up to travel 2 hours to see something cool. Also, I figure expat communities into that ranking. I think most of tier 4 are perfectly fine; they have their own natural and local charms. However, they're not as flashy or fun as 1-3.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

I don't like seeing the same people all the time or having a group of boring/basic expats going to the same 2 or 3 bars which tends to happen outside of Seoul and Busan. Some people are into that. Also, if you want to properly study Korean, Seoul is the best place.

This just reinforces that you don't really know what you're talking about, or have outdated opinions. There are hundreds of expats in Daegu with lots of social circles and a variety of places to hang out and that goes for other cites as well. If I really only had one group of people to hang with and only two or three places to drink at, then yeah I would hate it, but that's not the reality at all.

I don't know why Seoul would be a better place to "properly" study Korean.

You say AmbientParadox's post is "real," but he's saying almost all the major places are fine places to live, while you came in arguing that only Seoul or Busan were worth considering (And earlier in the thread were arguing for only Seoul).

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Bugblatter posted:

This just reinforces that you don't really know what you're talking about, or have outdated opinions. There are hundreds of expats in Daegu with lots of social circles and a variety of places to hang out and that goes for other cites as well. If I really only had one group of people to hang with and only two or three places to drink at, then yeah I would hate it, but that's not the reality at all.

I don't know why Seoul would be a better place to "properly" study Korean.

You say AmbientParadox's post is "real," but he's saying almost all the major places are fine places to live, while you came in arguing that only Seoul or Busan were worth considering (And earlier in the thread were arguing for only Seoul).

I think Seoul is the best place to live. It's an opinion. Daegu is alright to visit. If you like it, cool. And where are the Korean hagwons in Daegu? Naver shows none.

http://search.naver.com/search.nave...%95%99%EC%9B%90

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Has anyone applied for and received an American CR-1 family (spouse) visa? If so, how long did it take from when you submitted the application to when you received the visa? I've looked around and seen answers anywhere from 2-18(!) months. My fiancee and I were going to get the marriage cert the morning before our wedding, but it looks like we might need to get it much sooner.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always felt my Korean would've been a lot worse in Seoul since it's very easy to get around without speaking a word of it. In Ulsan you better learn fast. Fortunately the city provides free Korean classes so I was able to get functional.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you go on the Daegu FB community pages there are plenty of Korean Language Academies being advertised. in addition, the universities also all have Korean classes at various levels that you can sign up for. If you want to be cheap, the city has classes through the YMCA, or the Catholic church also runs classes.

What are you talking about with Daegu being a nice place to visit? Its a good place to live but what would a tourist do here?

Anyway, if you had started out saying you prefer Seoul and think others would too, no one would have an issue. I like Daegu, but yours is a fine opinion to have. But you were telling people with no context that if they don't want to be miserable, it's Seoul proper or nothing. That is absurd.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Daegu has good fried chicken.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
But the Daegu Fried Chicken and Beer Festival is a big letdown.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hongcheon has Dakgalbi and the ice fishing festival. Also lots of K-drama sets.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Onion Knight posted:

Has anyone applied for and received an American CR-1 family (spouse) visa? If so, how long did it take from when you submitted the application to when you received the visa? I've looked around and seen answers anywhere from 2-18(!) months. My fiancee and I were going to get the marriage cert the morning before our wedding, but it looks like we might need to get it much sooner.

The goon we know who got married in like July left for America with his wife in December and she had some sort of legal work visa by that point.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
To continue to beat this dead horse. Different people will be happy different places. I'd rather have a good job, than a good location. For some, location is everything.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

I really don't care for Ulsan, but I don't think it's irredeemable. It's just a fairly boring city and the expat chicks here are super basic, so if I want to do anything I'd normally bring a girlfriend to (shopping, etc.) I just go alone because most of my friends are dudes. There are loads of people who have been here for years and years and like it just fine.

I think any place you move to is about 75% what you make of it. You could be completely miserable in Seoul or Busan and perfectly happy in Jeonju for a number of reasons.

Just don't go into this with the feeling that everything will suck if you're not in a major city.

Well said. Your job does make or break your life.

Please tell me more about expat chicks thanks

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and if you live in a small town, I'm sure having a car makes everything better. You can go drive around the country side or to other towns. Do road trips and all.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

The goon we know who got married in like July left for America with his wife in December and she had some sort of legal work visa by that point.

Yeah I shot him a message. His timeframe made sense, but I think we'll still try and get it way early just in case.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The missus and I are planning our move next March and we are starting the paperwork as soon as we get the marriage certificate in April. I've heard it can take 6-8 months but it's usually faster.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

caberham posted:

Well said. Your job does make or break your life.

Please tell me more about expat chicks thanks

Unless you are deeply invested in K-Pop men and enjoy getting in arguments on Facebook whenever anyone says anything critical about Korea, the ladies of Ulsan are not for you.

Also every girl gains about 15 pounds their first year here. I am not any different (but I fixed it.)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yes holy poo poo does having a car make life immeasurably better

Not having to rely on busses is the greatest thing.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

MA-Horus posted:

Yes holy poo poo does having a car make life immeasurably better

Not having to rely on busses is the greatest thing.

I could never drive in this country. I've seen and been in too many close calls. Drivers in this country are crazy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no way in gently caress I would drive in a city in Korea (or China, jesus christ) but out in the countryside it'd be handy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I drove in Busan once and it was the most harrowing experience of my life.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It really wasn't too bad in Mokpo or Gwangju, as long as you followed the rules

There are no rules.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I rented 3 times, 2 of them in Gangnam. Worst thing that almost happened was someone starting to switch lanes without looking. At least the roads are generally free of the blight of teenage drivers texting.
Though the GPS did say that every single merge had a very high frequency of accidents.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Whizbang posted:

I drove in Busan once and it was the most harrowing experience of my life.

This, every time I drive to Busan from Gimhae, I regret the decision. I think Busan is considered the worse city to drive in. Mountains in the middle of the city lead to about one possible route to anywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Busan's layout makes it pretty but it is loving terrible for getting around on the surface. It needs like a dozen more metro lines that cross through the mountains.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
Thanks to all the Seoul goons I've met during my month in Seoul, I had a good time and you were wonderful hosts, see you again later!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

bringmyfishback posted:

Also every girl gains about 15 pounds their first year here. I am not any different (but I fixed it.)

I've found it hard to comprehend how a person would gain weight here. I lost over 100 pounds, and have kept it off for a year. This is with minor lifestyle changes.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Maxsmart posted:

I've found it hard to comprehend how a person would gain weight here. I lost over 100 pounds, and have kept it off for a year. This is with minor lifestyle changes.

Copious amounts of sugar in everything and a candy store on every corner.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Maxsmart posted:

Also bullshitting in the thread helps keep the weight off.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Maxsmart posted:

Congratulations! I didn't have 100 pounds to lose. Just a little extra after the first six months.

1. Everything has sugar in it.
2. Drinking a lot, especially at first, especially since Ulsan doesn't have much else to do.
3. Not knowing where to go for healthy food/relying on McDonald's/Not cooking because you don't have enough ingredients or the right ones.
4. Eating school food, which is basically straight corn syrup.
5. Eating more carbohydrates in the form of aforementioned sugar, to say nothing of rice/ddeok/"bread."

In any case, I am not a fatty anymore, now that I either cook exclusively for myself or eat Korean food rarely. Truth.

edit: original reply was hella bitchy. Sorry. Today sucks.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 31, 2015

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Obese people will drop weight here regardless of how much they eat or drink. I was over 300 pounds when I arrived, and within the first week the clothes I brought were fitting strangely. It's still easy to stay fairly big, but it takes perseverance. I was having to drink and eat out 3 or 4 times a week, if not more.

I see a few obese people every now and then and I say it is astonishing that they still maintain their amazing figure here.

I eventually lost all my weight and I'm down to 90kgish, but I have the frame for it. It's also ridiculously easy to maintain this weight here, even with zero exercise and fried chicken at least once a week.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

bringmyfishback posted:

1. Everything has sugar in it.
2. Drinking a lot, especially at first, especially since Ulsan doesn't have much else to do.
3. Not knowing where to go for healthy food/relying on McDonald's/Not cooking because you don't have enough ingredients or the right ones.
5. Eating more carbohydrates in the form of aforementioned sugar, to say nothing of rice/ddeok/"bread."

This! I've been here for a few weeks now, and you immediately notice how much sweeter everything western (pasta, plain-rear end normal bread with aforementioned pasta, etc) is. There's plenty of good food to be had, but I've learned that if you're looking for something to remind you of home, it's going to be sweeter than you remember.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

What sort of lovely school lunch do you have? I've worked at three different schools and the lunches are by far the healthiest meals I've eaten. Every day is fresh veggies and fruit, delicious meat or fish, and rice.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Descriptions of work conditions that I hear from Ulsan don't match the experiences of me or any of my friends, yet they sync up with everyone I've ever met from Ulsan. I can only conclude that Ulsan is a hellhole.

I have gained weight since I moved here, but I chalk it up to getting older, plus starting skinny and now being at a more normal weight (though still skinny for a western guy). My school lunches tend to be pretty healthy and fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
G-market chicken is your savior. 50k for 10kg of chicken will keep you healthy. It's the vegetarians that struggle with their weight over here.

• Locked thread