Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

GZA Genius posted:

G-market chicken is your savior. 50k for 10kg of chicken will keep you healthy. It's the vegetarians that struggle with their weight over here.

Lazy vegetarians maybe. I was healthier and happier as a mostly vegetarian at 65kg now I'm at 75. I blame starting to brew beer and not adjusting my diet to accommodate a shared keto diet with the better half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

dantheman650 posted:

lunches are by far the healthiest meals I've eaten. Every day is fresh veggies and fruit, delicious meat or fish, and rice.

Yeah, pretty much school lunch +anything for dinner and it will be hard to go over your caloric threshold for weight gain. Add in exercise, and you'll basically never gain weight.

I'm at 62kg right now, was down to 59kg. Definitely makes clothes shopping easy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

dantheman650 posted:

What sort of lovely school lunch do you have? I've worked at three different schools and the lunches are by far the healthiest meals I've eaten. Every day is fresh veggies and fruit, delicious meat or fish, and rice.

I guess you just answered your own question: lovely ones.

cryptoclastic posted:

Obese people will drop weight here regardless of how much they eat or drink. I was over 300 pounds when I arrived, and within the first week the clothes I brought were fitting strangely. It's still easy to stay fairly big, but it takes perseverance. I was having to drink and eat out 3 or 4 times a week, if not more.

I see a few obese people every now and then and I say it is astonishing that they still maintain their amazing figure here.

I eventually lost all my weight and I'm down to 90kgish, but I have the frame for it. It's also ridiculously easy to maintain this weight here, even with zero exercise and fried chicken at least once a week.

No, they certainly won't. Not as a matter of course, anyways. It depends on what is causing your obesity; there can be MANY underlying factors. I knew a girl here who exercised more than she ever did at home (for example, walking 40 mins to school one way instead of taking the bus [not that that's a ton of exercise, but it was far more than she was used to]), rarely drank, and from what I could see didn't eat a ridiculous amount of unhealthy food. She comes from a very fat family and has been overweight all her life. She still fat.

Are people really getting that het up over this? It's not as uncommon as you guys seem to think to gain weight after moving to a foreign country for a number of reasons.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 31, 2015

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Nuke the thread

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chinese food is so good I regained a bunch within like, my first month here. :smith:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

dantheman650 posted:

What sort of lovely school lunch do you have? I've worked at three different schools and the lunches are by far the healthiest meals I've eaten. Every day is fresh veggies and fruit, delicious meat or fish, and rice.

Usually the veggies are covered in a sweet sauce of some kind. I put on weight from school lunches too.

The pattern I've noticed here is that men who were really fat in their home countries lose weight in Korea, and women in general but particularly those who were a healthy weight before put it on. Normal weight guys seem to stay that way. I can think of dozens of exceptions, but this seems to be the general pattern.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Also, re: driving in Korea

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Exercise, you fat fucks!

Common Korean meal hardly contained any source of sugar or fat and relied heavily on carbohydrate (2-4 bowls of rice per meal by current standard) intake to consume required calorie. It's only recent that people cut back on rice to favour food with fat and sugar (such as festival food). Even sauces used to prepare/marinate meat contain high amount of sugar now. Soups are no exception. And kids these days probably won't eat any food that aren't sweet or oily.

So yeah don't chug everything down.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So are we saying that healthy diet with exercise (doing nothing) will lead to overall better health. And that this happens automatically for everyone in Korea. :doh:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Aesis posted:

Exercise, you fat fucks!

Common Korean meal hardly contained any source of sugar or fat and relied heavily on carbohydrate (2-4 bowls of rice per meal by current standard) intake to consume required calorie. It's only recent that people cut back on rice to favour food with fat and sugar (such as festival food). Even sauces used to prepare/marinate meat contain high amount of sugar now. Soups are no exception. And kids these days probably won't eat any food that aren't sweet or oily.

So yeah don't chug everything down.

Also, add black beans to rice for a nutritionally complete meal.

And if you boil water then add coconut oil before cooking the rice, then refrigerate the rice once it's done for a few hours, you'll have much healthier rice. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/simple-rice-cooking-method-drastically-cut-calorie-count/story?id=29905370

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can any of your Koreagoons tell me what the laws relating to carry pocket knives are here? Nothing absurd or worn openly.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Rough Lobster posted:

Can any of your Koreagoons tell me what the laws relating to carry pocket knives are here? Nothing absurd or worn openly.

quote:

(2) 이 법에서 "도검"이라 함은 칼날의 길이가 15센티미터 이상 되는 칼·검·창·치도(치도)·비수등으로서 성질상 흉기로 쓰여지는 것과 칼날의 길이가 15센티미터 미만이라 할지라도 흉기로 사용될 위험성이 뚜렷이 있는 것중에서 대통령령이 정하는 것을 말한다.
Basically anything less than 15 cm that do not pose any threat as lethal weapon.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing that a standard utility style folding knife isn't considered a lethal weapon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's only allowed if you keep it inside your fedora in public.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Unless you are deeply invested in K-Pop men and enjoy getting in arguments on Facebook whenever anyone says anything critical about Korea, the ladies of Ulsan are not for you.

Also every girl gains about 15 pounds their first year here. I am not any different (but I fixed it.)

Just a little weight gain is not a bad thing. Nice about being in Australia is seeing girls and sometimes boys with bigger boobs.

Any more stories would be great!

As for weight gain and staying in good shape meh. Portion control, habits and exercise. Walking is not really considered adequate exercise for young people.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Also, add black beans to rice for a nutritionally complete meal.

And if you boil water then add coconut oil before cooking the rice, then refrigerate the rice once it's done for a few hours, you'll have much healthier rice. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/simple-rice-cooking-method-drastically-cut-calorie-count/story?id=29905370

Won't it smell strongly though? I really see hard time going with this as coconut oil has strong smell. Can we use diffetent milder smelling oil?

On the other hand... 빠다코코낫 is love.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

Won't it smell strongly though? I really see hard time going with this as coconut oil has strong smell. Can we use diffetent milder smelling oil?

On the other hand... 빠다코코낫 is love.

If the strong smell is a good smell it is not a problem for me. Something like chicken stock simmering for hours in my tiny apt? I'm in heaven. Rotting fish in a trash can......no.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

THE LUMMOX posted:

If the strong smell is a good smell it is not a problem for me. Something like chicken stock simmering for hours in my tiny apt? I'm in heaven. Rotting fish in a trash can......no.

But you said you liked my new cologne :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Smell my fingers

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Onion Knight posted:

Has anyone applied for and received an American CR-1 family (spouse) visa? If so, how long did it take from when you submitted the application to when you received the visa? I've looked around and seen answers anywhere from 2-18(!) months. My fiancee and I were going to get the marriage cert the morning before our wedding, but it looks like we might need to get it much sooner.

6 months, using direct consular filing in Beijing (not available everywhere), which shaves a month or two off. It might vary from country to country (they're not going to have the same case loads, I presume), but that seems to be about average for people in China at least.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese food is so good I regained a bunch within like, my first month here. :smith:

Chinese food is the truth. Even the hotel I stayed at in Beijing during my layover had a restaurant with one of those big menus with a hundred choices. Was thinking of trying the fried pigeon, but figured there wasn't a good meat to bone ratio.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

You want to live in Seoul or Busan. Not some lovely satellite city like Yongin or Suwon or Bundang.

gently caress you.

Grand Fromage posted:

I stayed in Bundang a week and that might be the nicest area I've ever seen in Korea.

gently caress yeah. I lived in Bundang for two years and I'd probably still be there if my school still had Waygook money. My only regret about living in Bundang was that I didn't find the magic red bus that somehow took you to north Seoul in 20 minutes until like 2 months before I left.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 5, 2015

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Visa question: My ARC got updated by my employers when I reupped for the new year, but I noticed the "final entry" on my actual visa still says feb 2015. Is this going to be a problem if I leave the country and come back on vacation?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

TheBalor posted:

Visa question: My ARC got updated by my employers when I reupped for the new year, but I noticed the "final entry" on my actual visa still says feb 2015. Is this going to be a problem if I leave the country and come back on vacation?

Call 1345. Probably won't matter. My understanding is that the ARC sort of "outranks" the visa stamp. That's why people don't have to leave the country and re-enter when they transfer their E-2 sponsorships or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Once you have the ARC the visa is completely irrelevant.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ARC supplants Visa. Immigration doesn't even look at it once you have a valid ARC.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The airline in the foreign country may give you a bit of grief, though. Just show them your ARC and tell them you're a resident.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Yeah, I figured that might be the issue. I know I'm legal, but I just hate the idea of some security guy only looking at the expired visa and going "DENIED! GLORY TO ARZTOTKA!"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love to make fun of and joke about Korea, but seriously your internet is awesome.

Compared to this

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

well that's not a fair comparison, australia's web backbone is two guys shouting binary at each other from across an airplane hangar

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Visa question for a mainland Chinese person: We're currently in the states and have been trying to contact somebody besides a machine to ask this question to but every time we actually get to talk to somebody they transfer us to a voicemail. We've also sent a few emails and never gotten an answer.

What does a mainlander need to do to get a visa if they're in the States?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Cuatal posted:

Visa question for a mainland Chinese person: We're currently in the states and have been trying to contact somebody besides a machine to ask this question to but every time we actually get to talk to somebody they transfer us to a voicemail. We've also sent a few emails and never gotten an answer.

Think you'd need to give more information. Visa for ____?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Think you'd need to give more information. Visa for ____?

Korea?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cuatal posted:

I don't know how helpful this, is, but:

wikipedia posted:

"Visa free for visits to Jeju Island for up to 30 days.[110] Individual "transit tourists" bound for or arriving from one of the following countries and holding a valid visa or re-entry permit for that country: EEA member state, Switzerland, USA, Japan, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. Must show a confirmed flight ticket for onward departure from Korea within 30 days.[111][112] If traveling by air to Jeju Island via Seoul, Busan, Cheongju, Muan and Yangyang, Chinese citizens traveling as part of a tourist group by authorized travel agent may stay in mainland South Korea for up to 15 days.[113]"

Based on that and my experience with Korean customs, sounds like you need to show a ticket leaving Korea as well as having the visa. I'd assume that you could use any Korean consulate/embassy in the U.S. to procure your visa- as a U.S. citizen, I got a work visa for Japan processed in Canada with no problems- but calling your closest consulate or embassy and asking should give you more information than I can provide.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone got any tips for e- cigarettes or vaporizers here, or am stuck with the vegetarians in the poo poo out of luck camp?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Tortuga posted:

Anyone got any tips for e- cigarettes or vaporizers here, or am stuck with the vegetarians in the poo poo out of luck camp?

I'm not a smoker of any kind - e-cig or otherwise - so idk if it's what you're looking for, but in Daejeon I see e-cig stores everywhere. Is that just a Daejeon thing or what? Or are they not what you're looking for?

not sure how good your Korean is, but e-cig stores will have "전자담배" somewhere in the name.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Yeah there are loads of e-cig shops, even in small towns. I saw one in Pyeongchang about a month ago.

For vegetarians, you might want to see about working at a SamYook school, all the lunches are vegetarian. :)

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Tortuga posted:

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an e-cigarette store these days

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is good news, I'll take a walk downtown tomorrow and take a look, haven't been here for 6 years so literally every single building and road seems to have changed.

Would still appreciate recommendations on e-cig brands and/or dead cat stores.

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just an open invitation, a Korean buddy and I are going to be playing some bball in Olympic Park. If anyone wants to hoin you are welcome to. Look for a foreigner playing bball just inside the Olympic Park station gate and walk on up.

• Locked thread