Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Haha, Kant, STD story, nooo. You're too discerning to be rutting out some discount alley glass house dame. 1st Chair Oboe players with the Seoul Philharmonic don't get STDs.

ALSO: GANGNAMREPOST:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Bible posted:

What in the hell happened in Kakao anyway? I mean, I know what happened, but why? And why does BrainDance still post here if he hates you guys so much?

Woah hold on. I don't hate anyone, like at all! I actually respect most of you a whole lot more than most of the foreigners I know in real life.

I just... get a kick out of different things than some of you guys, and dont take some things as seriously as others do.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I miss Korea. If I could go back there again to spend another year teaching, I would. My fiancee probably wouldn't be too happy about me leaving the UK for another year, though. :(

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Nice work letting a woman rule your decisions. How heteronormative.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

E_P posted:

Nice work letting a woman rule your decisions. How heteronormative.

Err.. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Wait, that was the joke wasn't it. :doh:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Attention Korea: Do Indian food like they do in Malaysia if you ever want me to really love you.

Holy poo poo.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Woah hold on. I don't hate anyone, like at all! I actually respect most of you a whole lot more than most of the foreigners I know in real life.

I just... get a kick out of different things than some of you guys, and dont take some things as seriously as others do.

At least hook the Non-Korea goons up with some sort of TL;DR, I love BrainDance posts

It's also a good Annihilator song

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Attention Korea: Do Indian food like they do in Malaysia if you ever want me to really love you.

Holy poo poo.

There's an Indian guy in my apartment complex who occasionally has all the GETs over and cooks Indian food. It's awesome.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

kru posted:

At least hook the Non-Korea goons up with some sort of TL;DR, I love BrainDance posts

It's also a good Annihilator song

It's not really something that can be put into a tl;dr, and I'm not looking to type up "my side" (:jerkbag:) but, well, it all started with a pair of grey pants, two shirts and a slightly infected ankle wound.

By the way I solved my shirt problem, sweatervests man. A nice tie and a sweatervest really pulls an outfit together for that "teacher" look. I don't know what I'm going to do when it warms up though, cardigans?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 24, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kant, to answer your question, I just religiously checked Dave's, WorkNPlay, Korea4Home, hiteacher, craigslist Seoul, and hiexpat multiple times a day. All of those sites are updated slowly enough that you can see all of the new postings in just a few minutes. Send out your dick pics to the ones that look non-lovely and just hope for a bite. I just see it as a matter of diligence in searching those sites. Maybe once or twice a day you'll find a decent job. I also string multiple people along in the process and abandon one job for another if the latter job sounds more cushy. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Also, you don't need a release letter if you finish your contract, just in case you didn't know. That's what I did last time. Some stupid recruiters or employers think you need one for every transfer but it's not true. v:shobon:v

kru
Oct 5, 2003

BrainDance posted:

It's not really something that can be put into a tl;dr, and I'm not looking to type up "my side" (:jerkbag:) but, well, it all started with a pair of grey pants, two shirts and a slightly infected ankle wound.

By the way I solved my shirt problem, sweatervests man. A nice tie and a sweatervest really pulls an outfit together for that "teacher" look. I don't know what I'm going to do when it warms up though, cardigans?

Leather patches on elbows!

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Well, this all depends. Is the sweatervest brown or grey? God help you if it's navy.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Cameron posted:

Also, you don't need a release letter if you finish your contract, just in case you didn't know. That's what I did last time. Some stupid recruiters or employers think you need one for every transfer but it's not true. v:shobon:v
Thanks. Maybe I am misremembering your job history, but what about the other ones. Also, Suwon immigration really REALLY thinks you need one. But we know the reputation they have, we could ask MomonariKun to confirm if he ever comes back.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Cameron posted:

Kant, to answer your question, I just religiously checked Dave's, WorkNPlay, Korea4Home, hiteacher, craigslist Seoul, and hiexpat multiple times a day. All of those sites are updated slowly enough that you can see all of the new postings in just a few minutes. Send out your dick pics to the ones that look non-lovely and just hope for a bite. I just see it as a matter of diligence in searching those sites. Maybe once or twice a day you'll find a decent job. I also string multiple people along in the process and abandon one job for another if the latter job sounds more cushy. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cameron why dont you join our kakao chat :(

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I dunno. Just busy sleeping and playing LoL I guess.

If immigration hassles you about a release letter then tell them to shove it and go ask their supervisor. Or, you could go to the main immigration office in Mokdong and have them take care of it. Never had a problem there. Only time I needed a release letter was when I quit my first job to get my after school position, but I was able to passively hold the hagwon hostage to get them to give it to me, due to a few immigration laws they hadn't upheld. It's complicated, but it worked out in the end.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Everyone at my school was an rear end about me taking too long (more than 1 hour) at immigration already, I'm sure not cooperating with the immigration lady and her supervisor would have worked. Even called up immigration hq and Suwon said hq was wrong. They 'required' twice as many papers. God I hope the next school is reasonable. I will try to imitate the Cameron method better next time, seems to work out. Where do you work now anyway? I remember it not being one of the major adult programs.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Basically it's a small-ish adult hagwon for people who want to study or work overseas in the near future. My company also helps people get overseas visas and fills out paperwork and whatever. Essentially people go to them and say "I wanna go to X country" and my company says "OK gibe money plis" and then there's a free English or Japanese class included in the deal. 16 hours a week, no Fridays.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
... I hate you.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Unless something comes up with my tickets, I'm set for visiting Seoul from Feb. 9-16.

Let's get drunk on soju and proclaim Korea's claims to Dokdo. We can also voice Korea's claims to Northeastern China, I can be the China expert.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Let's get drunk on soju and proclaim Korea's claims to Dokdo. We can also voice Korea's claims to Northeastern China, I can be the China expert.

Takeshima is Japanese. :colbert:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any issues using Union Pay cards in Korean atms? I'm guessing there isn't but it would make my life easier with changing money.

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002
Really awesome OP tirinal :thumbsup:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there any issues using Union Pay cards in Korean atms? I'm guessing there isn't but it would make my life easier with changing money.

Only some ATMs are international, they'll be marked with Global ATM in English. KEB banks are typically your best bet to find them but they're randomly all over.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

You can use unionpay at most global atms, at least in Seoul and Busan. Woori, Shinhan, Hana and KEB atms should work.
I think lotte might take it, too.

E;fb

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All the banks have global ATMs at some places but KEB always has them, I think. At least here. If you see a place marked credit union don't bother, even Korean cards won't work there unless you're a member.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, sounds like I should be fine. Thanks guys.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Interesting that Dokdo is grey on that map...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Dokdo isn't even on that map. I call shenanigans.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AmbientParadox posted:

That's Ulleung-Do, Dokdo is much smaller.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

That's Ulleung-Do, Dokdo is much smaller.

How can you be sure of anything with korean maps? There could be a sticker over it :kiddo:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kru posted:

How can you be sure of anything with korean maps? There could be a sticker over it :kiddo:

They should just name the province Dokdo.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I have a friend who's thinking of coming to Korea to teach. But she has type 1 diabetes. Is this a make or break thing? It's not exactly a medical condition she can hide considering she needs the needles.

Edit: I know we touched upon this briefly during the 130pm kakao tea party, but the answer wasn't conclusive?

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2013

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Like I said, I've had a coworker with diabetes in Korea. I would just bring it up and talk about how easy it is to live with to assuage their worries.

That would take a lot of work and sneakiness
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 25, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Like I said, I've had a coworker with diabetes in Korea. I would just bring it up and talk about how easy it is to live with to assuage their worries.

Just don't mention it and don't use the needles in front of anyone.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

The Bible posted:

Just don't mention it and don't use the needles in front of anyone.

Well done.

I think you've set a record for fastest contributor of the next thread title.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

AmbientParadox posted:

I have a friend who's thinking of coming to Korea to teach. But she has type 1 diabetes. Is this a make or break thing? It's not exactly a medical condition she can hide considering she needs the needles.

Edit: I know we touched upon this briefly during the 130pm kakao tea party, but the answer wasn't conclusive?

There was a foreign worker several years ago that Koreans were protesting to release from immigration lockup, on account of him having diabetes and demanding he be given proper treatment. He got deported, but not on account of diabetes, he was an illegal worker.

Diabetes is more prevalent in Korea than the US, Japan, France and the UK (but less than Germany), with about 10% of the population suffering from it.

I doubt your friend will have to worry about it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Diabetes is one of the many things cured by magical wonder food kimchi. Works for lung cancer too!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I don't know, high blood pressure is also a screener question. Like high blood pressure, diabetes shows weakness and impurity of body, it shows frailty. Bad qualities for a teacher, what if you need to visit a doctor, that would take a sick day if you visited a real doctor unless she is evening hagwon. There are lots of things Koreans suffer from/deal with that are deal breakers for foreigners. I myself have never ever been sick or seen a bruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol, North Korean Diplomacy.

So to recap, North Korea does a thing that causes their only ally to switch sides and support sanctions against them. It responds by threatening the lynchpin of the world economy with a nuclear attack. They probably don't even have the capability for said nuclear attack.

Highlight of the article.

World: We're imposing sanctions because you committed a long range ballistics test for military purposes.
NK: That's not true, it was for space exploration.
World: Bullshit.
NK: Haha! Fools! It was also a long range ballistics test!

So uh, yeah, who's ready for a looooot more GIs in the Seoul area?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 25, 2013

• Locked thread