Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I was in Seoul over the long weekend and was able to meet with some old friends. Things seem rather depressed in the job market. I've been in Gangwon working on a community outreach program and I wasn't filled with enthusiasm in returning to the city.

Or are my friends just miserable people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

slacjs posted:

This sounds about right.

In my little bubble out in the boonies I tend to meet happier folk. :shobon:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I will say that hiring out in the countryside is more difficult, my work is trying to fill a camp teaching position that pays 2.7 minimum and we are having a devil of a time getting people to actually show up. :psyduck:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Onion Knight posted:

Can you try and get your school to hire you for that position? They'll have to swing some stuff and you might have to keep your mouth shut about a few things but that's what I did with a vacant afterschool program they wanted a foreigner for. The hours are long but I'm basically earning two paychecks now and it is fantastic.
Often they can't pay housing and stuff for additional positions so it's a dealbreaker for new people.

Sadly no, its for a camp position where an actual warm bodied person is needed. I teach in the community outreach program.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Tirius posted:

So this contract is for a school in Junggye-dong, Nowon-gu in Seoul. Is anyone familiar with the area? Other than Itaewon, I've never really spent any time in Seoul.

Nowon is Northern Seoul, like the very north of it.

That's all I got.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
The only time I hired a cleaning lady was when I was moving apartments, she cleaned my new and old apartments. :)

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Bugblatter posted:

For several months I've been hearing rumors that there was a college in my town. I was fairly skeptical, since my location is so small that anyone in the college age range wouldn't go unnoticed, but this weekend I finally decided to find out for sure and investigate. Surprisingly, Naver does show a large university right next to Goryeong, about 15 minutes by bike from my apartment.

So I went there, and indeed there is a large college campus. It's mostly hidden by the mountains around it, but is nearly the size of my Goryeong's downtown area nonetheless. Except the entire thing is abandoned, rusted and overgrown. The interiors are still fully furnished though, just heavily covered in dust.

Awesome. A return trip with a camera will obviously be a must.

My town has an abandoned campus as well, some buildings are still used by the county though. Yang Yang must have an amazing national rep to keep getting these sweetheart construction gigs.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

terivinix posted:

This one I think I have heard of before, but was talked out of visiting a few years ago by an explorer living in Sokcho who I guess didn't want visitors. Is it still just sitting there?

The campus is still there, and the gate is open during the day. You're free to walk around, most of the buildings are locked. The county has been using some of the space , which is nice.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

erobadapazzi posted:

You live in Yangyang? I met my husband there. I have been missing Gangwon like crazy lately. :(

I am rather worried about moving back west to the metroplex, things are quiet and clean here. :(

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

gingersmurf posted:

I have a friend coming to visit and she loves fishing. Any information on chartering a boat for some deep sea fishing?

Where are you located?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I posted an ad on Dave's and good lordy do you get some responses. Some are legit, some are nice people, some are kinda sketchy and I got one troll. Really an interesting experience.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Wow, I had thought he would have made more than that. I had thought he had a better record contract, in terms of royalties, now that he was older and past his slave status.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

Between the hikers blasting music out of whatever and the sound systems in parks I think it's literally impossible to find anywhere to just enjoy some quiet alone time. Short of crossing the DMZ or something.

Living in the countryside of Gangwon is wonderful if you enjoy some actual quiet time. There are enough hiking trails, parks and beaches that you can avoid the masses of Seoulites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Yeah there are loads of e-cig shops, even in small towns. I saw one in Pyeongchang about a month ago.

For vegetarians, you might want to see about working at a SamYook school, all the lunches are vegetarian. :)

• Locked thread